Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 8:06 am

This is addressed mostly to the Americans, Canadians and Australians here.

A couple of generations ago having a job was a BAD thing. The old novels used terms like "hired man" or "hired boy" as a term of contempt.

Any man worth his salt would start his OWN farm or general store or blacksmith shop. He would get his own wagon and team and set up as a haulage company.

America was a country of small farmers and small businessmen who would stand on their own two feet.

But after the second world war everything changed. The idea of the "company man" or "executive" emerged.

Now you had to go to "college" and get a "degree" so that you could get a "well paid job" with a "good company"

Your great grandpappy would turn over in his grave. He would NEVER work for someone else. He would NEVER borrow money.

So what about you? Better you should get a bucket and a squeegee and be a window cleaner. Better that you should buy a lawnmower and become a lawnmower man.
At least you would be "beholden to no man"

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 11:39 am

The modern term is "wage slave" and it's not far off.

Employer/employee law is based on master/servant law, which evolved from the time when a man owned another man.

Not everyone can be self-employed, but there was a time when most every man basically made his own good or service and made a living marketing it to those in need of it. Now, it's all about marketing your skill to an employer (maybe not all that difference) but instead of money for service rendered, you must bow to the rules and obligations of the employer.

Stone_Man
Toucan
Toucan

11 Aug 2009, 11:59 am

Wombat wrote:
Better you should get a bucket and a squeegee and be a window cleaner.

Many years ago, in some recession or another, I lost my job and I did exactly that. I worked for an entire summer washing windows. I quite enjoyed it, actually. I would walk into businesses downtown with my bucket ... "wash your windows? Five bucks!"

Well jeez .. what shop or business owner could turn that down? I'd typically make $50 to $75 by lunchtime (in the 1980's, that was a fair amount of money per day), then take the afternoon off. And you're right ... the feeling of being my own man was exhiliarating.

But regarding the point about being a "hired man" or "wage slave" ... it's a different world now than it was those three or four generations ago. The world economy is more concentrated now. Mechanization and computerization means that very few people are in a position to start their own farm or work for themselves, without very specialized and highly developed skills. The closest we see to that these days is probably internet entrepreneurs, but I wonder about the success rate in that field ...

NOBS
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Aug 2009, 9:58 pm

Hey Stone Man;

I like your moxie!

Note to self: work on moxie.

Stone_Man
Toucan
Toucan

12 Aug 2009, 3:51 pm

NOBS wrote:
Hey Stone Man;

I like your moxie!

Note to self: work on moxie.

Thank you kindly, NOBS.

A little moxie does seem to go a long way in the world, doesn't it?

TheDuck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Aug 2009, 4:29 pm

Wombat wrote:
So what about you? Better you should get a bucket and a squeegee and be a window cleaner. Better that you should buy a lawnmower and become a lawnmower man.
At least you would be "beholden to no man"

Always had a problem with working to make money for someone else , it is one of the reasons why I was not able to keep a real job for more than 2 weeks. That is why i plan to either work for myself or the government in the future.