Page 6 of 8 [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

1two3four5
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Aug 2009, 2:03 pm

There's probably some context that OP didn't include. Maybe everyone had been softened up by humorous conversation or a few drinks. Just look at standup comedians; almost all of them follow up an opener and soften up the audience before getting down to it.

I mean the other day I said a one-liner: "worms are f*ers". Out of context it does NOT generate raucus minute-long laughter. But at the time the 10 people I was with thought it was histerical.

duke666
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Aug 2009, 2:18 pm

Quote:
Two penguins are taking a shower.
One of them says pass the soap.
The other answers: What do you think I am, a radio?

The kids who know the trick laugh like crazy. Most of the kids who don't get it laugh as if they do, just to fit in. But there's usually a kid who says "I don't get it" and the other kids tease him.

There is no joke. It's just a cruel prank. Has any one heard of this or similar ones?

I don't get this joke. I got the "Double entendre" joke, but didn't find it that funny. I liked the "Cannibal having his friend over for dinner" joke.

It isn't actually a joke. It has the structure of a joke, and enough ambiguous elements so people try to make sense of it, but it is actually nonsense. It's used as a cruel school-yard prank, but it's interesting because it puts NTs in the situation we are usually in, trying to figure it out.

-The Madness of King George

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2009, 9:24 pm

I don't know enough about drinks to see the tie that would make this a joke.

I just heard a joke that would illustrate what I am saying.

A string wanders up to a bar, and the guy says aren't you a string?

The string says "I'm afraid not."

Do you get it? COME ON! It's FUNNY!! !! ! THAT is what I mean. NOW I will say the joke RIGHT!

A string wanders up to a barm and the guy says We don't serve strings here!

The string goes off, loops himself, and brushes his hair.

The guy squints and says aren't you a string?

The string says "Nope! I'm a frayed knot!"

Interestingly, this is technically, a double entendre! (English term adopted from french meaning double meaning Afraid not=NO WAY! A frayed knot is a loop or tie of line that is separated )

duke666
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Aug 2009, 9:41 pm

That is pretty funny. But I wouldn't have gotten it if I heard it, and couldn't see the spelling.

duke666
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Aug 2009, 9:43 pm

That is pretty funny. But I wouldn't have gotten it if I heard it, and couldn't see the spelling.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Aug 2009, 9:50 pm

I don't get it either. And no, I didn't find it a least bit funny.

duke666
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Aug 2009, 9:58 pm

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2009, 6:08 pm

I had an unusual experience last night... I was invited for dinner to someone from my church. (First time in over three years that I've been invited out.) Obviously I took my thirteen year old son with me, and we had a good time. Our hosts were smarter than the average bear.

However, at one point, my thirteen year old son made joke that made me laugh like a drain, I thought it was so witty... and it's only later I realised that we're both nerds.

We'd been talking about volcanoes, and I told him he should go to the source when it came to study of volcanoes. I told him he should read the last days of Pliny the elder ... it turned out he'd already read them in translation.

Well, he started describing how useless it was to apply the scientific method to a culture that had no scientific vocabulary, and cited Pliny's obvious heart attack as an example. He admired Pliny for continuing to take notes while he was obviously ill and dying, and described his thirst on the beach just before he died. He said "Pliny kept asking for another drink of water... not Volvic, obviously."

That's the joke that made me laugh like a drain, before I realised nobody else got it.

Are my son and I freaks, or does anyone else get it?

Last edited by mgran on 16 Aug 2009, 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2009, 7:35 pm

mgran wrote:

Well, he started describing how useless it was to apply the scientific method to a culture that had no scientific vocabulary, and cited Pliny's obvious heart attack as an example. Turned out he'd read them.

Pliny, the Elder's description of the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius is so good that it is regarded as canonical source for working vulcanologists. In fact the type of eruption with vertical effluence and hyperclaustic flow is referred to as Plinian Eruption in the literature.

ruveyn

SingInSilence
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Aug 2009, 9:01 pm

I always found the fact that Romans referred to volcanoes as "angry mountains" very amusing.

In an unsurprising turn of events, no one else did.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2009, 12:58 am

Angry Mountains. That IS funny. :)

I just edited my post, because for some reason, my son's joke didn't get in there.

Yes, I agree... Pliny the Elder was a genius. His doctors weren't though. :(

GreatCeleryStalk
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2009, 4:30 am

mgran wrote:
I had an unusual experience last night... I was invited for dinner to someone from my church. (First time in over three years that I've been invited out.) Obviously I took my thirteen year old son with me, and we had a good time. Our hosts were smarter than the average bear.

That's the joke that made me laugh like a drain, before I realised nobody else got it.

Are my son and I freaks, or does anyone else get it?

I laughed. Then again, I am kind of a nerd.

Dragonfly_Dreams
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Aug 2009, 8:08 am

Okay, first... its not funny to me. The only thing I was sure about the joke was that it had to be sexual in nature. (the reason I suspect this is because I tend to twist everything into the gutter so it was only natural I thought that way)

Locustman
Toucan
Toucan

17 Aug 2009, 9:08 am

I'm from the UK, and I get it - to "give her one" means to have sex with her, full stop - but it's not that funny. Made me chuckle a little, but only for a few seconds.

Feyhera
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Aug 2009, 12:48 pm

Quote:
"A woman walks into a bar and asks the barman for a double entendre. So he gives her one"

This joke is so stupid it's meaning is easily overlooked, and trying to use intellect to make it somehow more interesting is just an exercise in frustration. Just go with, "That's it?" and try to be satisfied. In fact, that's pretty much good advice for life in general sometimes...

Please visit my blog at: http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php? ... er=Feyhera

polymathpoolplayer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Aug 2009, 6:19 pm

My take on it is that she asked for a double entendre (a saying that could mean two things, the underlying, i.e. hidden. meaning most likely dirty or sexual in nature), and he:

A: gave her a saying that could mean two things, etc. (instead of a drink, his function, which is WAY nutty)
B: a drink called a "double entendre", being ignorant as to what a REAL double entendre is, or possibly jaded or confused, or acting fast on his feet, doing a bartender's job correctly (they are supposed to be able wing it)
C: a single shot instead of a double (he's a lousy bartender)
D: she's fishing for a sexual encounter and he provided a witty retort that got the ball rolling further in that regard

It is not funny in the slightest - horrible material

BTW I do not get most jokes either, but having not gotten so many I started to analyze all the things they could mean on whatever levels might be involved; needless to say I usually do not laugh at most jokes, because by the time you actually figure them out, it's more like a science experiment.

Curiously I think I could write some good material, as this is what Immanuel Velikovsky called "the bi-sociation of two events", that is, the juxtaposition of two (or more) things that do not naturally belong together, with the result that the two frames of reference being so oddly put together makes the person hearing the joke laugh (according to the theory that laughter is a response to negate fear, i.e., if these tho things WERE found together it would mean we are insane, hence afraid of this "truth".)