Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 9:53 pm

1352 pages :D

my gallows-humored sci-fi

quickly translated to english, the titles are
1. space, stars and bisquits (main story)
2. guardians of eternity ---||---
3. last voyage of the worlds ---||---
4. the white star ---||---
5. aeons (30 short stories)

now im left w re-reading all of it, and correcting lame typos undetected by correcting progs, since the typos have turned into "correctly written" wrong words :D i found a sneaky one or two of those lil buggers. ima hunt them down, also fix continuity and stuff if i come across holes.

yup yup yup. i still see that someones reply from here in my head "250 pages? thats not epic!"
8)

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 10:17 pm

it's damn epic! congratulations!
(I am pea green with envy :roll: !)
Merle

Aoi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 10:24 pm

Well done. Since you translated your titles into English, what language do you write in?

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Aug 2009, 10:27 pm

Wow, 1,352 pages?! 8O Well, congrats! :) Check out ClearEdit. It is a macro that you install into Word. It's a bit pricey but it does an awesome job fixing typos, but its primary use is fixing grammars errors.

http://www.clearwriter.com/clearedits.html

I bought it and use it. I haven't regretted the decision.

The process works like this.

1. Say you wrote something like this (not that I'm suggesting you would!)

Quote:
I hope you are enjoing being in my clasroom. I am haveing a food time working with you each day.
What do you think has been the bestest part so far did you like the spelling bea or the writing labs? I like the writeing because it let’s me get to know you beter. I like it when you practice your righting because it makes me sure that you will do good on our riting test.
some of our reading prodjects have been fun to tell me which one was your favorit and we mite trie it again.
Our principle tole me that you kids were super? Now I no that he is write. The next time I see him i will say Mr. Smith, i have the best class ever

2. Obviously Word can help correct the glaring problems...

Quote:
Dear students
I hope you are enjoying being in my classroom. I am having a food time working with you each day.
What do you think has been the best part so far did you like the spelling bee or the writing labs? I like the writing because it let’s me get to know you better. I like it when you practice your righting because it makes me sure that you will do well on our writing test.
Some of our reading projects have been fun to tell me which one was your favorite and we mite try it again.
Our principle told me that you kids were super? Now I know he is right. The next time I see him I will say Mr. Smith, I have the best class ever.

3. ClearEdit takes care of grammar.

4. Revised text...

Quote:
I hope you are enjoying being in my classroom. I am having a food time working with you each day.
What do you think was the best part so far did you like the spelling bee or the writing labs? I like the writing because it let’s me get to know you better. I like it when you practice your righting because it makes me sure that you will do well on our writing test.
Some of our reading projects was fun to tell me which one was your favorite and we mite try it again.
Our principle told me that you kids were super? Now I know he is right. The next time I see him I will say Mr. Smith, I have the best class ever.

5. Of course there's truly no substitute for editing things yourself.

Quote:
I hope you enjoyed my classroom. I am having a fun time working with you each day. What do you think was the best part so far? Did you like the spelling bee or the writing labs? I personally enjoyed the writing labs because it let me get to know you better. I also like it when we practice our writings together because I know we will do well on our writing test. Some of our reading projects were fun. Which was your favorite? We might try it again. Our principle told me that you kids were super. Now I know he is right! The next time I see him I will say, “Mr. Smith, I have the best class ever.”

:D

The former things have passed away."

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 11:08 pm

A Principal can be a man of principle, but the two words have different spelling and meaning.

-Vorzac-
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Aug 2009, 1:29 am

ZEGH8578 wrote:
i still see that someones reply from here in my head "250 pages? thats not epic!"

That would probably be me, and this is exactly why I said it; to make you aim a little higher, which makes things go a long way.

well done.

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2009, 10:09 am

-Vorzac- wrote:
ZEGH8578 wrote:
i still see that someones reply from here in my head "250 pages? thats not epic!"

That would probably be me, and this is exactly why I said it; to make you aim a little higher, which makes things go a long way.

well done.

haha yea i remember now. the plan was always to write longer, but the first book ended at 250 pages :D

KXmode, would it work for norwegian? one of my most common typos are non-detectable by normal spell-check, for example "meg"/"med"
meg means "me"
med means "with"

ive found this one more than once :( "en planet meg en måne" "a planet me a moon" <--- laaaaaaaaaame. :D

i have actually imagined a prog that would work like that, looking for grammar.
i have to read over it all anyway tho, to look for potential plot holes/conflicts and stuff

sinsboldly, thanx!

aoi: norwegian. speakers roughly 5 million. :/ not the best language to write in, but its MY language, and i master it way better than english, obviously :D

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2009, 11:28 am

awesome Z! congrats! :D

let me know if you want it translated to Polish ;D (there's almost 40mln of us :P)

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2009, 12:14 pm

Congrats ! !

Quite the accomplishment ! !!

You should be proud ...

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2009, 12:27 pm

prof pretorius, i AM proud :D very much in fact. i guess i felt the proudest finishing the 1st book, cus by then i knew i HAD to finish, i WANTED to finish, and i WOULD finish, so i sortof celebrated beforehand :D but i felt a little "hah!" of relief, finishing the final story yesterday :D

anna, ahah :D yeah, you know, if it was up to me it would be translated to esperanto as well for that matter, but first and foremost i'd be thrilled to even see a... norwegian version of it :D in the shops :D
then english. then spanish. who decides such stuff anyway? sales i guess. goddamnit, i bet it gets translated into polish like 230 years after my death or something.

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Aug 2009, 12:59 pm

ZEGH8578 wrote:
KXmode, would it work for norwegian? one of my most common typos are non-detectable by normal spell-check, for example "meg"/"med"
meg means "me"
med means "with"

I'm not sure, but if you contact the ClearEdit folks I'm sure they would be happy to answer your questions. :)

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2009, 9:31 pm

The one thing that really gets me annoyed with Word is it's determination of the word 'then', which cannot be used without the preceding word 'and'...;) If you write in a conversational style (dialog, for example), I get 'and then', and then, and then....which always gets me going.

And then a long came Jones...;)

You might want to check with someone who's bilingual with both languages (like a professional), but even then it's hard to get an accurate translation that implies the intent of the author.

But greater people have had problems with this; according to masters of literature, it's really difficult to translate Dante into English...people have been complaining for centuries...;)

Congrats on doing all that writing; I've been writing since the 70s, and if I'm past 300 pages altogether (including lyrics), I'd be surprised...;)

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2009, 12:02 am

pakled wrote:
The one thing that really gets me annoyed with Word is it's determination of the word 'then', which cannot be used without the preceding word 'and'...;) If you write in a conversational style (dialog, for example), I get 'and then', and then, and then....which always gets me going.

And then a long came Jones...;)

You might want to check with someone who's bilingual with both languages (like a professional), but even then it's hard to get an accurate translation that implies the intent of the author.

But greater people have had problems with this; according to masters of literature, it's really difficult to translate Dante into English...people have been complaining for centuries...;)

Congrats on doing all that writing; I've been writing since the 70s, and if I'm past 300 pages altogether (including lyrics), I'd be surprised...;)

i thought a lot about this. an author writes his ass off, then has no control over the re-writing during translation.
i tried translating a short-story i did once, and it was simply impossible
i felt like i was ripping apart sentence after sentence, all the subtleties fell apart. ive even heard somewhere, that authors who've had their works translated are adviced NOT to read the translations, as it will drive them insane :D

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Aug 2009, 12:36 am

pakled wrote:

How long have you been living with this phobia? ;)

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2009, 10:21 am

^^^

packles, do you write w a prog that corrects WHILE you type?

how is that even possible? i use non existing words maybe twice per page, since its a sci-fi, if that word got changed into something similar each time "activate the sandwich drive!" i would go completely insane :I

while i was correcting i has a constant _panic_ of accidently hitting the "autocorrect all" button.

what a nightmare that would have been :I

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2009, 11:15 pm

It's not a phobia...that would mean I'm afraid of it...;)

Actually it's a feature, that I'm mightily ticked at...;)

Never wrote self-correcting programs; the closest I got was something called 'Open Office', which is a free version/competitor to Microsoft Office. The 'word' analog is way too eager to finish your words for them...;)