Do you get people who tell you how to play a game?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Ravenitrius
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2009, 2:10 am

Do anyone ever get a type of person who tells you how to play the game. (The correct way, the right way, you're doing it wrong) I got tons of someone doing it to me on WoW before I quit the game. (I am a avid explorer of game worlds and tend to avoid the main quest/objective for awhile.) Also I don't know if this thread exists somewhere and I'm not sure if anyone of you had someone tell you how to play the game without you asking for help.

TXaspie
Toucan
Toucan

12 Aug 2009, 2:56 am

WOW players tend to be obsessive about goals and objectives because the game itself is not fun. It's always about what's ahead and what you will aquire.

It's fun when you're new and that's it, once you've explored you'll see how static the world is and either try to aquire new items or quit if you know what's good for you = )

sheppeyescapee
Raven
Raven

12 Aug 2009, 4:34 am

Yes and I find it rather annoying. I have had other mages on WoW try to advise me about my spec and complain that my dps isn't as good as theirs, but I like my spec and it rather suits my gameplay, no it might not be top dps but it is pretty great for the spec. I just want them to shut up really. As long as I'm enjoying myself and I'm not causing wipes then it shouldn't matter. Then again these same people usually end up being show offs that end up spending a good portion of their time dead because they can't handle their aggro load :lol:

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2009, 9:38 am

Ravenitrius wrote:
Do anyone ever get a type of person who tells you how to play the game. (The correct way, the right way, you're doing it wrong) I got tons of someone doing it to me on WoW before I quit the game. (I am a avid explorer of game worlds and tend to avoid the main quest/objective for awhile.) Also I don't know if this thread exists somewhere and I'm not sure if anyone of you had someone tell you how to play the game without you asking for help.

first time i played gta vice city on my computer, my friend kept complaining about my boring playing

_I_ wanted to "build up" i love doing that, especially in GTA games. find a dull car, get in it, and take a "sunday-stroll" around town :D
HE thought i was simply being ignorant "no no no there are WAY better cars than that!" "i know" "but there was one RIGHT behind you!! !" "i know" "HEy go faster at least!! !" "no"

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2009, 10:53 am

Oh, now and then you get someone acting like you couldn't possibly be having any fun if you aren't earning huge piles of honor or wearing all purple items. And WoW is fun, if you don't play Alliance. The newest races tend to be more fun, because thank goodness there are quests other than "kill 15 of these" and "bring me 20 of those". I have avoided guilds ever since I left my last one because they assumed things about a simple misunderstanding, and there's always someone wondering why I wouldn't want to be in a guild, they help you go further, supposedly. Last guild invitation I got, I asked them why? They gave me the "go further with a guild" line, and I said, "Where? It's a game! What's the rush?" Hey, I happen to like jogging around exploring, seeing the scenes they've worked so hard to render, running the fun quests even if they're below level, running dailies to earn my very own RED DRAGON! Cool!

But yeah, there's always someone looking you up and down as it were, especially since they put in that thingy where they can examine all your armor, and scoffing at your stats. I actually had someone look down their proverbial nose at me while I was running my daughter's new, un-specced death knight around, and sneer at my lack of specs or suitable armor. These are what I call "perma-noobs" in that no matter how much they play a game, they will continue to be obsessed with petty, piddling details about non-existent armor and such, to the point that they will actually make the effort to send you a message telling you they don't approve of how you're running around Azeroth half-dressed...

But I have to get back to life and dressing real children in real clothes now (scoffing at the perma-noobs ;) ).

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.

ViperaAspis
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2009, 12:29 pm

Actually, I try hard not to BE that person. I have a Special Interest with games, and I tend to play them "My Way" which, of course, is the "The Right Way" and I sometimes would catch myself being the Evil Dictator on rare occasions when I had a friend over. I really hate that about myself and work hard to root it out when it comes up.

Tolerance is difficult. Heh, that should be my new siggy... ;)

-- Vip

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2009, 12:44 pm

One of the funniest things about video games is playing them wrong. :D

Cyberman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2009, 4:37 pm

Yes. My brother, who watches just about everything that I play, sometimes acts as a "back-seat player." It's kind of annoying, and I've blown up at him a few times because of it.

It's one of the reasons why I never play online. When I play a game, I just want to have fun, not to have my skills judged by other people.

Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2009, 12:55 am

yep my friend on wow does that every day, i bought a gun for my hunter that looked cool oh her, and he said "nesingway 4000 for a hunter?" i said "i liked it so i bought it"

i don't run raids or dungeons, i'm not in a guild, i don't work painstakingly over some epics well at least not anymore. i buy and get what i like or looks good on my characters nowadays. like i love the way my warrior looks right now and i really don't want to change that. i also weild dual lightsaberish weapons on my hunter that are 20 levels under her but i don't care they look cool to me and yes i lvl with those blades on her.

my friend would probably say i should get something else but i don't care and i'm not getting anything else.

anyway yeah i get that and i hate it. i didn't mind my rl friend showing me the basics but telling me what to wear on my characters is something else, i haven't the heart to tell him though.

he even bought me half my warrior's armor and i never asked for his help. but my warr looks cool so meh.

but i agree with TXaspie said, it's only fun at that start then it feels more like a job. [or well to me it is] the reason i still play is time and effort put in.

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2009, 1:28 am

Ravenitrius wrote:

my husband explains the rules of games while in the middle of games. It drives me insane, I have to have all the rules laid out before the game starts...

on the other hand I get bored with games easily and prefer to invent new rules to make the game more interesting and he hates that.

sheppeyescapee
Raven
Raven

15 Aug 2009, 4:18 am

Jetfox wrote:
yep my friend on wow does that every day, i bought a gun for my hunter that looked cool oh her, and he said "nesingway 4000 for a hunter?" i said "i liked it so i bought it"

I thought the nesinwary 4000 was a good choice for hunter actually :)

Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2009, 11:43 am

sheppeyescapee wrote:
Jetfox wrote:

so did i, but my friend didn't seem to, of course he doesn't have a hunter. i have seen lots of hunters in the battlegrounds with that gun.

Ravenitrius
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2009, 12:57 pm

Jetfox wrote:
sheppeyescapee wrote:
Jetfox wrote:

so did i, but my friend didn't seem to, of course he doesn't have a hunter. i have seen lots of hunters in the battlegrounds with that gun.

Maybe he should have made multiple classes to understand how the game was played :P. I used to play a hunter but I switched to a Paladin and became a tank which is 100% stressful >.>

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2009, 3:38 pm

Yeah, my only lvl 80 is a hunter, and I only run blood elves because I can't stand how the other races look, which I realize is rather shallow. It's not the supermodel look so much as that the blood elves are just very nicely rendered and move fairly well. Well, it's both. Anyway, I tried a guild for a while but when the guild bank was introduced I just didn't get the concept I guess because some guildies got ticked off when I took out some items that had just been sitting there and sold them. I mean, you don't put things in there if you personally WANT them, do you? But I guess they consider it some kind of crime if you don't actually have a use for the imaginary digital reality property and decide instead to sell it. If I had taken money out to buy runecloth, I suppose they would have felt the same. The guild leader understood and didn't care but one night a guild member got nasty with me and I concluded that these people must be discussing me without my knowledge and resigned. I haven't had a guild since. I've been invited and I've really come to wonder why people want them so much. They always turn bad. No, fly solo, it's just a danged game. I get enough crap from live people without having teenaged intrigues on the internet.

When my husband advises me, it doesn't bug me because he has a take-it-or-leave-it attitude towards it. He offers but the rest is up to me, no pressure. And he knows a lot about the game. But he's not a super serious player either. If you have toons on Durotan, you might have heard some of his wisecracks in general chat. That's how it should be, right? It's a game. Some of my favorite stuff has been the many gadgets and doohickeys that I have gotten as a lvl 80. There's critter bites, which you can toss to any critter and they will follow you for 5 minutes, no limit to the number you can have simultaneously, I think. Once I gathered all the rats I could from the Dalaran sewers and ran around the upper streets with them. I thought of yelling, "Tear 'em up!" but that seemed a little too nuts... Then there's the wormhole generator. If you use it to go to Borean Tundra, it leaves you in mid-air over a lake. The world enlarger shrinks a blood elf (in other words, me, the user) to the size of a gnome for 5 minutes... but the real prize is baby spice. You can use it on enemy faction players, npc's, pets... I once got slapped by a dwarf for shrinking his exotic dino pet. So I shrank the dwarf. I would think dwarves would be about the last people to take themselves too seriously... short of gnomes, pun intended.

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

sheppeyescapee
Raven
Raven

17 Aug 2009, 6:56 am

irishwhistle wrote:
Yeah, my only lvl 80 is a hunter, and I only run blood elves because I can't stand how the other races look, which I realize is rather shallow. It's not the supermodel look so much as that the blood elves are just very nicely rendered and move fairly well. Well, it's both. Anyway, I tried a guild for a while but when the guild bank was introduced I just didn't get the concept I guess because some guildies got ticked off when I took out some items that had just been sitting there and sold them. I mean, you don't put things in there if you personally WANT them, do you? But I guess they consider it some kind of crime if you don't actually have a use for the imaginary digital reality property and decide instead to sell it. If I had taken money out to buy runecloth, I suppose they would have felt the same. The guild leader understood and didn't care but one night a guild member got nasty with me and I concluded that these people must be discussing me without my knowledge and resigned. I haven't had a guild since. I've been invited and I've really come to wonder why people want them so much. They always turn bad. No, fly solo, it's just a danged game. I get enough crap from live people without having teenaged intrigues on the internet.

I think the principal of the guild bank or at least in the guilds that I have been in is that most use it to help each other out. I put in items that other people can actually use not just sell to have gold for themselves. Once an item has been in the guild bank for a while and it looks like nobody is going to use it the person in charge of the guild bank sells them and puts the gold in the guild bank for purchase of extra tabs. I'm an enchanter on my gnome mage so we will go through the guild bank occasionally and disenchant any greens and blues with not so great stats. The guild I'm in has some pretty good stuff and people withdraw and put in equally, nice balance really.

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2009, 2:56 pm

Yeah, I finally worked out the concept, but on the other hand... if I put something in the bank, I wouldn't actually care what was done with it after that. My husband agrees with me, too. He's in a small guild and they don't care what's done with the stuff they don't want. If they cared, they'd keep it. And it wasn't like I took out huge amounts of stuff. It was maybe 5 items. And the only person who spoke to me directly was the guild boss, everyone else just talked around me. If people won't give you chance to explain, they shouldn't assume. I don't get the group mentality, so I'm happiest not being in a guild or grouping, either. I solo 99.9% of the time I play.