The difference between a friend and an aquaintance.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Miyah
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2009, 1:31 pm

How many of you have ever been in a relationship with someone who acts like their friend and then really isn't? How many of you get promises made and then have them constantly broken by these so-called friends?
Have you ever been yelled by then when trying to confront them with your actions?

I recently had this happen to me with someone who called her best-friend when she really was not. She had made maid-of-honor without thinking twice about her actions. This included blowing me off for two weeks and then telling me that there was no wedding and only a justice of the peace instead. It was when I confronted her for those actions that she blew up at me and scapegoated me and put the blame. So, I recently cut the relationship off which included more bullying from her.

Has anyone else in here ever been put down by people like that? I need to know how each of you handle it so I can handle with out looking like a psychopath to other people in the future.

Aoi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2009, 2:39 pm

I'd had this experience so many times by high school that I developed a simple algorithm for calculating when an acquaintance became a friend. I put it aside for years, and recently came back to it, making it much more sophisticated. It is also, as a result, much harder to work with, unfortunately.

Verbal abuse, bullying, and overt threats definitely disqualify a person from consideration as even an acquaintance under my algorithm. My response to such people is the same as yours: eliminate them from my life.

ViperaAspis
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2009, 2:45 pm

I have found smell to be a great determining factor. Acquaintences tend to smell like cheap perfume and ben-gay. Friends smell like sandalwood and elderberries.

But I don't have a huge number of friends. Probably because there are so few people in the world who smell like sandalwood and elderberries. Therefore, my sample size is rather small for this study (n<5) leading to a large standard deviation from the norm. I have a plan to make more friends, though. I'm planting more elderberries around where I live.

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2009, 3:08 pm

I have never been treated badly so outwardly by people I considered friends, but I have had people I thought were friends suddenly ignore me, not call me, etc. IN these cases, mostly they had more friends than I and considered me just an acquaintance, while I considered them a friend because of not having many other friends...it's like sometimes they act nice when you aren't coming too close, but when you try to be close with them because they are supposedly friends, they ignore you. At least that's my experience.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2009, 6:26 pm

ViperaAspis wrote:
I have found smell to be a great determining factor. Acquaintences tend to smell like cheap perfume and ben-gay. Friends smell like sandalwood and elderberries.

But I don't have a huge number of friends. Probably because there are so few people in the world who smell like sandalwood and elderberries. Therefore, my sample size is rather small for this study (n<5) leading to a large standard deviation from the norm. I have a plan to make more friends, though. I'm planting more elderberries around where I live.

Excellent formula! Pares the solution down to pinpoint accuracy. Stick to that and you'll never be confused - or mistaken. :wtg:

BTW, lest anyone misinterpret, this is not sarcasm. I wholeheartedly concur with ViperaAspis

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2009, 9:41 pm

That's been the story of my life. There's plenty of people who acted like I was their friend, little did I know they were just being nice and never really liked me much. I have been betrayed by so called friends all throughout middle school and after that, I gave up and never trusted anyone again. I suppose my main problem is I don't talk to many people so for the few people that I talk to a lot, I use to figure they would be my friend. Today, I'm still a loner but their is certainly some people I know that have been kind to me. That doesn't mean I'm their friend although a few people consider me a friend anyways in a very casual like way. I think the definition of a friend differs from person to person. Since people like us usually have very few friends, the definition of a friend to us is a person we are very close to and trust completely. For others such as those who have a hundred friends, they may consider any person they like a friend, I mean there's people with these online profiles who claim they have 300 friends which for real is almost impossible so that goes to show you people's opinions on what a friend is will always be different. I'll break down the difference between an acquaintance and friend. An acquaintances is someone you don't know that well but talk to often or see often. Examples would be people in your classes, people at work, neighbors, ect. Real friends I think are those you are very close to, you talk often, hang out often with and perhaps really know each other well. That's the main difference.

notsureifiam
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Aug 2009, 1:16 pm

Homer_Bob wrote:
That's been the story of my life. There's plenty of people who acted like I was their friend, little did I know they were just being nice and never really liked me much. I have been betrayed by so called friends all throughout middle school and after that, I gave up and never trusted anyone again. I suppose my main problem is I don't talk to many people so for the few people that I talk to a lot, I use to figure they would be my friend. Today, I'm still a loner but their is certainly some people I know that have been kind to me. That doesn't mean I'm their friend although a few people consider me a friend anyways in a very casual like way. I think the definition of a friend differs from person to person. Since people like us usually have very few friends, the definition of a friend to us is a person we are very close to and trust completely. For others such as those who have a hundred friends, they may consider any person they like a friend, I mean there's people with these online profiles who claim they have 300 friends which for real is almost impossible so that goes to show you people's opinions on what a friend is will always be different. I'll break down the difference between an acquaintance and friend. An acquaintances is someone you don't know that well but talk to often or see often. Examples would be people in your classes, people at work, neighbors, ect. Real friends I think are those you are very close to, you talk often, hang out often with and perhaps really know each other well. That's the main difference.

I don't really know if I have any freinds. There are people I know that I get along with and I like and treat me kindly, but that doesn't necessarily mean they like me or are freinds.

I have a lot of acqauintances but doubt that I really have any friends.

bluerose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Aug 2009, 1:32 pm

I don't have any friends but I don't really feel that much of a need for them. But I don't really understand why anyone would pretend to be someone else's friend. I mean, I don't think any of the people I know would bother with stuff like that. Also, I think if you have to wonder if you'd really consider someone a friend, then they aren't your friend. Friendship is something that comes very naturally.

notsureifiam
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Aug 2009, 4:05 pm

bluerose wrote:
I don't have any friends but I don't really feel that much of a need for them. But I don't really understand why anyone would pretend to be someone else's friend. I mean, I don't think any of the people I know would bother with stuff like that. Also, I think if you have to wonder if you'd really consider someone a friend, then they aren't your friend. Friendship is something that comes very naturally.

Good point. Most of the people I know and like and do get along with I don't really see socially. They are acquaintances, I actually really don't have any friends except for my wife but she's my wife. She has some friends that basically tolerate me but I'm not sure if they even like me or consider me a friend.

So...I probably don't have any friends and really believe most of the people that know me don't actually like me even though they treat me kindly, they're just good people that treat others kindly even if they don't like them.

It's really hard to gauge this. But I just assume that I don't have any friends and most of the people that I know don't really like me and I avoid getting my feelings hurt.

I'd rather think people don't like me and find out they actually do than the other way around. I'd rather have friends I don't realise I have than think I have freinds and don't really have them.

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 9:07 pm

notsureifiam wrote:
Homer_Bob wrote:

I don't really know if I have any freinds. There are people I know that I get along with and I like and treat me kindly, but that doesn't necessarily mean they like me or are freinds.

I have a lot of acqauintances but doubt that I really have any friends.

Same here, pretty much.