Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

leeroy12345
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Aug 2009, 6:11 am

Hello. I am 33 years old and havent had a job since late 2004 when I was a math professor for a semester in the USA. My working experience has been mainly call center jobs, a little retail, math tutoring on a private basis. I would say my total full-time work experience has been probably about 2 years. I did my undergrad degree in Advertising back in 1999, then I just completed a postgraduate diploma in Economics. I thought economics would be really interesting - it was horribly boring but I scored a distinction.

The job situation here in the UK is very bad. I have always been interested in some kind of engineering, but I have not had the chance to study it. I am really at a loss at where to go next. Because I have gigantic gaps in my CV where I was not working, my skills are low and I would have trouble explaining in interviews what I have been doing. I am trying to decide whether I should try to continue education and study a masters degree in something I find interesting like civil engineering, fluid dynamics or something. Or should I give education a miss and try to get a job?

Marsian
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Aug 2009, 7:49 am

Hi Leeroy :)

The job situation is ridiculous in the UK, I think it's better to be in education if you can afford to do so.

I'm in work but have been looking for alternative employment since December. I've had a few sniffs and a couple of interviews but it really is tough at the moment. I work 4 nights a week at the moment but I've arranged with my mum and dad to stay at their house temporary because I just can't take it no more. I am studying as well and just want to concentrate on that at the moment.

With regards to gaps in your work experience and stuff like that, you need to just re-do your CV so that there are no gaps. Rather than saying that you've been unemployed just say that you've been doing freelance work as a private tutor since from 1999-2009 and then make out that you did the other jobs for a bit of extra cash in-between. It's fine to mention retail / customer service jobs, if you gained experience and you think they'll give you a good reference (if not - just leave them off)! With freelance work employers are unlikely to ask for references anyway, and you can always submit a reference from a recent client. Seriously, sometimes honesty is NOT the best policy, especially when it comes to jobs and CVs.

The main thing employers look for is 'no gaps' so just get rid of them. If you go to JobCentrePlus or to your uni if you're in education they will show you how to re-format your CV and it don't cost anyway.

Then you have to just keep applying and applying. I usually find that Reed.co.uk has the best strike rate for actually snaring a job. It takes a while to fill out all the details but once your profile is set up you can apply for vast numbers of jobs very quickly and if you are prepared to be flexible you will nearly always find work.

Sam :)

C-57D
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Aug 2009, 12:58 pm

You might also benefit from looking at internships and apprenticeships. The Government is really pushing these at the moment, and I think there's info about both on DirectGov or via the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS) website.

(Can you tell I do this for a living?)

Oh, as for your CV - there are two kinds. Chronological and skills-based. I went to university later than most and graduated aged 29. I was advised to rewrite my CV to emphasise my skills rather than my employment history.
You might also find that, as you are a graduate with a disability, you might get some help from Graduate Opportunities (whose website is, I think, something like eopps.org)

Happy to advise where I can.

TomAdams92
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Aug 2009, 4:53 pm

btw see for the gaps in your cv, just say you were looking after a relative who then died or something

lavender35
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Aug 2009, 1:50 pm

You could also try volunteering as this will help keep your skills up to scratch, provide you with a reference and also look good on your CV. Heres an excellent website

www.do-it.org.uk

ALADDIN_1978
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Aug 2009, 2:53 pm

Hello,

I symapthise.

I graduated with a BSc(Hons) Maths + Comp Sci, PGDip Actuarial Science before my diagnosis. I have passed the 2nd stage of my professional stats exams, the last stage too much, but we will see.

I have a similar problem. I am 30 years old. I have done Maths tutoring, web design/web development (voluntary + paid). I attempted a java certification. I have undertaken work placements in IT (1 company could have given me a full time permanent job).

I worked in call centres. I have worked in the most recent ,over 11 months. Aspies cannot generally work in a call centre.

The job situation is bad. It is worse outside London. Support for graduates is poor, especially disabled graduates is poor. The Disability Employment Advisor was terrible. Workstep was useless. Prospects (N.A.S) cannot really help me. I finished university a long time ago, the public sector is better for disabled people but the competition is fierece. I am trying unpaid experience because N.H.S jobs are hard to get into. The government does not care, I am over-qualified but I have a communication disorder. I cannot get disability living allowance. Graduates have benn tough to get and are getting tougher. 90% of aspies are underemployed. 15% full time work, 6% part time work is a disgrace.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2009, 12:54 am

Just what I needed to hear! I thought I'd got my dream job, then discover my boss is a nightmare, am looking for a new job... and yes, it looks like I'll not find anything.

Great.

harry_j_83
Raven
Raven

Location: not-quite-so-royal london borough of lewisham (aka "da ghetto")

30 Jul 2010, 7:34 am

thanks for all the interesting info so far!

is anyone thinking of working in the creative sector, because i am. i'm finding the idea of the future pretty bewildering. i know its going to be a struggle finding work although i feel enthusiastic.

I have to say I have felt very let down by Prospects in London (not to spread bad publicity but its true): I really need their help but they always end up speaking to me in a very condescending way. it seems obvious that i'm going to have to front it out and do the hard work myself

the thing i'm worried about is potentially telling employers, co-workers etc... the nature of the disability. people have just told me that its a question of "adapting the workplace around the employee": they make it sound as if the world is all dandy when in fact not all employers are that concerned about the well-being of the staff.

i really think that if i could overcome the social anxiety, things would be so much easier. i've had no help with this so far and i know it's the one thing that would make life enjoyable and productive.

it's really frustrating; i just want a job and some independence.
any advice?

daniel3103
Raven
Raven

25 Aug 2010, 1:44 pm

Leeroy, you succeeded in gaining high-level qualifications, so you don't have a skills problem. Your problem is your difficulty in finding and holding on to a job. That's a problem that many Aspies have.

If you were going back to studying, I don't think that would improve your chances of getting a job, unless there was a serious shortage of people with the skill you're studying. Employers look for experience as much as skills, and the work situation here in the UK is bad, as you said.

If I was in your situation, I would go for temporary work. I would register with as many temporary employment agencies as I can, and not be too demanding about the kind of work I am willing to take. Only go for temporary positions to start with. The advantages are: 1. that your patchy work history won't matter that much, and 2. that you can try out positions and workplaces to see how you like them. If an employer likes you, he may offer you a permanent job, and then you're in a good position to decide whether or not you want it, because, having already worked there, you know what it's like.

The disadvantage of this approach is that companies often look for temps for jobs that no-one wants do to, so you're likely to have a few horrible experiences along the way, but it may be worth it in the long run.

I'm basing this advice on my experience. I've been in your situation, and gone along the temping route. If I was finding myself in the same situation again, I would change a few things I did (I've already taken account of that when I wrote the previous paragraphs) but basically keep the same approach.

And most importantly - Good luck. :)