If you didn't learn to speak until later...

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2009, 2:27 am

My high school English teacher had a similar reaction to deluge. :roll:

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Flamespitter
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Nov 2022, 12:57 am

I I had delayed speech until age 6 followed by a severe TBI at age 3 early cerebral insult hit by a speeding tow truck and then had sever bronca's aphasia so I did not speak full sentences into until 10. I would repeat words , stim and play ,art.
I truly feel like if I was not developmentally disabled then my family would not have gotten away from the abuse neglect and sexual exploitation and medical abuse that could be a part of my delay as well . I have reported to so many care providers ,school in childhood and in adulthood still no Justice and they all gave me stock holem syndrome making me identify with the people who victimized me so I have no real justice and if they find out they will say I'm schizophrenic, liar and mentally ill. With the support of Southeast Alaska medical staff and northern alaska

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2022, 9:26 am

Boy this is a BLAST FROM THE PAST. This thread originated in the year 2009.

Anyways I will attempt to answer it.

I learned the knowledge of words long before I learned speech. I remember at age 2 years 3 months trying to have a discussion with my sister (age 1). We were being placed in an orphanage and I tried to tell her what was happening. But the place was filled with other kids and she was having a good time.

I am 74 years old and I suffered a major stroke about a year and a half ago. It was a severe stroke. I lost my ability to read but NOT MY ABILITY TO WRITE. I guess these are stored in different parts of the brain. The only words I remembered were words from songs. This is stored in the right half of the brain and they survived. But my knowledge of words disappeared overnight. This is stored in the left half of my brain. I lost all my words and my ability to communicate. I tried to speak but I just couldn't remember the words. So I began trying to substitute the few words that I remembered to speak. It was a disaster. I put ten or twenty words together (to substitute for the one word I was trying to say) and even though most people were friendly, they didn't truly understand what I meant.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2022, 11:45 am

i didnt speak until i was 8

i wasnt really articulate until i was 10

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2022, 2:47 pm

I started speaking full sentences at the age of 4.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2022, 4:59 pm

I was 5 1/2 when I started speaking. My first "word" was actually a phrase.

I didn't really have "meta-awareness" of language for language's sake until, perhaps, I was a teenager. I just took the existence of words for things for granted. A banana was a banana was a banana. I didn't speculate as to why it's called "banana." I wasn't all THAT smart :)

I had no idea about sound-to-letter correspondence. I would get zeros in phonics in first grade. I learned to read solely through sight memory. I was reading what are now called "chapter books" when I was in first grade.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2022, 5:07 pm

i dont know what my first word was but when i was nearly 8 i started trying to say words then i could spoke in sentences when i was 9

when i was 8 and first talking i loved saying words like i pointed to a car and say car to my mum or dad and kept saying car until they responded

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2022, 1:31 pm

I didn't speak until I was around 5. I just repeated what I heard others saying and eventually learned how to use it to communicate. I always struggled with putting things in my own words. No one taught me I couldn't just copy word for word from the book when answering questions in school.

hmk66
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Dec 2022, 3:48 am

I didn't speak until I was 5 years old. I already had listening skills when I was 4 years old. I appear to be extremely smart, IQ = 140. At 5 there are many skills that I learned at the same time. Not only speaking, but also reading and writing, in a very fast pace. The grammar was poor, I left out grammatical articles ("de" and "het" in Dutch) or I used them in a wrong way. Vocabulary was lacking, but was improved much later on.

Although my mother tongue, Dutch, wasn't perfect, I learned German. My father had a sister, living in Germany and we sometimes went there. There was bakery and I loved to go there, having conversations with a baker, in German. My father gave me some books about the German language. So I started with: ich bin, du bist, er ist. Later on: ich habe, du hast, er hat.

When I was 11 years old, I started to learn Russian. The reason was that the father of a classmate worked in Eastern Europe. I saw a book with texts in several languages, one with a strange alphabet. I thought it was Russian, but actually it was Belarusian. So I started to learn Russian, but that is a really tough language, and I am not talking about the Cyrillic alphabet.

Now I speak four languages fluently: Dutch (my mother tongue), Esperanto, English and German. I have a poor knowledge about French, Russian, Japanese. Some knowledge about Afrikaans and two other artificial languages: Interlingua and Ido.

I still don't think in languages, but in pictures, schemes, sounds, animations. Only when I have to write or speak, I will translate these thoughts in sentences (for which I can use one of the 4 languages that I speak the best) and then I write or speak them. A very efficient way of thinking to me.