Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Vashna
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Aug 2009, 11:29 pm

I have asked about amateur radio operators on Wrong Planet before, with a similar complaint. Really, I am not trying to bash anyone at all. Truly, I am not. However, I have noticed that in the last few years individual politics, factions, and flat out anger from a lot of people have threatened to make the hobby no longer enjoyable. However, because I used to know several operators and such in person, I sort of feel a strong connection to the hobby still. I’ll try to site some of my concerns however.

Basically, there is this device called a repeater. A repeater is an automatic radio relay device mounted on a tall point, often at great cost, to expand the distance around that an individual radio operator can communicate with on a VHF, UHF, etc band. Though, technically there are HF repeaters. Anyways, people will either monopolize one, or kick people off them, or even (illegally) send jamming signals to them. Furthermore, the publications and stuff of the hobby has gotten really political. And there are always fights on the HF international wave bands.

Plus, the local organizations (Who often run repeaters and have strong HF operating groups, as well as monopolize nets - those are the on air meeting groups that are organized) have extremely selective and exclusive authorities. They really judge a lot on money in my experience.

Should I stick with it or not?

Thanks so much!

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2009, 12:21 am

I have an amateur radio license for two purposes, and one purpose is to experiment with radio equipment without government interference. The other purpose is to get around a "law" that prohibits someone from monitoring police radio activity in a car. I have met some very good people who are also fellow amateur radio operators. Unfortunately like you have said, politics is dividing people in all walks of life. People on all sides don't want people with other perspectives to be heard. It is a shame that this is the case.

My main field of interest in ham radio now is to come up with a way to connect two points a long distance away from each other with a cheap, high speed data link. I'm interested in doing this due to the fact that I see the current Internet being taken over by government/corporate interests. It is time for hackers to create an equaly powerful alternative.

Vashna
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Aug 2009, 1:09 am

Ah, I'm right on board with you there about making experiments. I originally joined up because of the ability to build my own equipment. Interestingly enough, I've found that's been somewhat of a controversial point in that I've had some operators tell me homebrewing isn't that great (Sort of a reverse of the appliance operator point of view)

Ham_Radio_Guy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Aug 2009, 8:39 pm

Hi all.

I have been a Ham since the 1970s. It is unquestionably the best thing that has ever happened to me.

Through it I have my profession and a career. I have done things that most people do not even know exist, and have learned many valuable lessons about life and "getting along" with others. I am a much better person because of this, and am "at peace" with myself.

True, there are some "strong" personalities around. However, you have choices. Learn to get along, go along so that you can be art of "their crowd" (assuming they will let you in), go your own way, or any point in between. That is the beauty of our hobby.

If others don't like you, too bad. The loss is theirs. Shed no tears for them. Move along. I have had these situation happen to me, that is exactly what I have done, and in the end I am much happier.

I will be an active Ham until the day I am a Silent Key.

73 de Ham Radio Guy.

Vashna
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Aug 2009, 10:43 pm

Hey, thanks for the reply. I noticed its your first post - have you introduced yourself yet?

ValMikeSmith
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2009, 2:11 am

Hooray for ham radio :D

Vashna
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Aug 2009, 10:45 am

Please understand I am not trying to bash Ham radio. Its a wonderful hobby :D

I am just having a little trouble learning how to handle the way different factions form. Like recently, there's been a fight between two factions in the local club that runs a repeater near here.

To be honest, I have no idea why anyone would actually fight like this. There's nothing to gain!

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2009, 2:32 pm

It just goes to show that Ham radio is specific, but trolls (jamming, etc) are universal...;)

People are people; you get the same types no matter what you're doing.

ValMikeSmith
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2009, 8:17 pm

If you connect a good antenna to your radio you can probably reach a nicer repeater,
especially if you just have a portable radio with a rubber duck on it now. Or maybe
you can then also call the nicer people on the fighting repeater and tell them to
change to a no-repeater frequency to talk in peace.

Vashna
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Aug 2009, 10:46 pm

Well, I'm kind of on an indoor antenna rule. But I mean, I find trolls in even like six meter CW as well.