Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2009, 9:21 am

Quote:
Celiac Disease Presenting as Autism.
Genuis SJ, Bouchard TP.

University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

Gluten-restricted diets have become increasingly popular among parents seeking treatment for children diagnosed with autism. Some of the reported response to celiac diets in children with autism may be related to amelioration of nutritional deficiency resulting from undiagnosed gluten sensitivity and consequent malabsorption. A case is presented of a 5-year-old boy diagnosed with severe autism at a specialty clinic for autistic spectrum disorders. After initial investigation suggested underlying celiac disease and varied nutrient deficiencies, a gluten-free diet was instituted along with dietary and supplemental measures to secure nutritional sufficiency. The patient's gastrointestinal symptoms rapidly resolved, and signs and symptoms suggestive of autism progressively abated. This case is an example of a common malabsorption syndrome associated with central nervous system dysfunction and suggests that in some contexts, nutritional deficiency may be a determinant of developmental delay. It is recommended that all children with neurodevelopmental problems be assessed for nutritional deficiency and malabsorption syndromes.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19564647

What are your thoughts and opinions on this case study?

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2009, 9:27 am

I completely agree with this.

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2009, 9:55 am

I think that nutritional deficiencies may prevent proper brain development at times. Far too many people ignore how much of an impact it can have on the brain and thus the person's development or progression. Many fail to realize how the body is interconnected, and how one problem can adversely affect many areas of functioning.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2009, 10:22 am

It's quite possible in some cases. It certainly doesn't explain all cases of autism, though. It doesn't, for instance, explain why some siblings get it and others do not. Even with identical twins.

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2009, 10:30 am

fiddlerpianist wrote:
It's quite possible in some cases. It certainly doesn't explain all cases of autism, though. It doesn't, for instance, explain why some siblings get it and others do not. Even with identical twins.

It doesn't explain all cases of autism but it may explain some of them. I think people are far too skeptical of a more osteopathic approach to medicine. They look at the symptoms on the surface and refuse to delve deeper to find the possible causes.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2009, 1:16 pm

timeisdead wrote:
It doesn't explain all cases of autism but it may explain some of them.

I'm more inclined to believe that what it explains is the commonality of misdiagnosing the wrong ailment as autism, when it isn't.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2009, 1:44 pm

A "more osteopathic approach" to autism? Do you really think we can find better treatments for autism by studying bone diseases? ;)

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2009, 2:28 pm

Willard wrote:
timeisdead wrote:

I'm more inclined to believe that what it explains is the commonality of misdiagnosing the wrong ailment as autism, when it isn't.

I mentioned something to this effect in my blog after going to an autism seminar that was about the Son Rise program. The presenter was the son of the parents that created the program. I have to say, either he was one hell of an actor, or there was something to the program, and diet. How did this man go from a severely autistic child to so NT? I studied him for almost 2 hrs looking for any hint of autism as he spoke to, and interacted with the crowd that he was giving the seminar to. I saw nothing that would indicate even mild AS. I had to wonder, if he was ever autistic at all, or if it really was an allergy/intolerance to gluten that made him look that way as a child, before the diet.

Before,I get attacked, I'm not saying that a person can't both be gluten intolerant/allergic, and be on the spectrum.

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2009, 4:12 pm

I definitely have digestive problems, but my bloodwork is always within normal parameters except for a tendency to iron deficiency and slightly small red blood cells on occasion, and when my digestive tract shut down last year, so I seem to be adequately nourished. I don't know how I was fed as a young child but by the time I was 10 it was a variety of grains and organic vegetables and fruits and only a moderate amount of meat. however, I craved sugar constantly so was always eating it, either as candy or right out of the sugar bowl or honey jar. as an adult I went wheat and dairy free for over a year and it didn't make much of difference for me except I had fewer sinus issues and I was less fatigued. keeping my dairy intake in check helps with the fatigue.

my son had food allergies as soon as I started giving him solid food, so I mostly just nursed him until he was 18 months old and stuck to organic food, always a variety of grains and not just high gluten ones, and he still has NLD.

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2009, 4:25 pm

DeaconBlues wrote:
A "more osteopathic approach" to autism? Do you really think we can find better treatments for autism by studying bone diseases? ;)

I mean a more integrated approach to medicine, realizing that different parts and systems of the body are often interrelated and thus malfunction in one area can lead to malfunction in another.
Here is one definition of osteopathic medicine:

Quote:
Developed 130 years ago by physician A.T. Still, osteopathic medicine is one of the fastest growing healthcare professions in the U.S. and brings a unique philosophy to traditional medicine. With a strong emphasis on the inter-relationship of the body's nerves, muscles, bones and organs, doctors of osteopathic medicine, or D.O.s, apply the philosophy of treating the whole person to the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of illness, disease and injury.

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2009, 5:07 pm

Willard wrote:
timeisdead wrote:

Or autism could be a neurological condition with multiple causes, some being a genetic condition from birth and others caused by various genetic insensitivities in which the symptoms of autism can be triggered by certain foods, vaccines, pollution ect. There are many medical conditions with multiple causes.

vessel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Aug 2009, 4:45 am

This really has me thinking, I like this one actress who's said to have Celiacs in an interview, but she has a cadance and an intellect, and even a mild form of social flimsy-ness that had me at one point considering if she was on the spectrum in some way. The article just has me questioning the link in nutritional requirements and neurological development. I sort of wish I could meet that woman, see how she conducts herself.