Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Anton
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Jan 2006, 5:09 pm

I didn't find it tasteless. Maybe a little bit patronizing, but not much.

If they want to pray, and think it will help, then by all means let them. I am not the one to judge whether it helps or not.

I also grew up religiously and have had a hard time getting over it, but I think I have.

wandrew
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jan 2006, 4:52 am

My personal belief is that prayer works if you believe it works. I also believe you should only pray for people if they request it or are otherwise OK with it.

I left the Episcopal Church when I was 13 because in my opinion God was nowhere to be found. I thought--perhaps selfishly--that with all these prayers and hymns sung in His/Her/Its name, that the least He/She/It could do was say, "Hey, thanks" once in a while.

When I think I'm talking with Jesus, I don't know what's happening neurologically. Am I simply communcating with a different part of my consciousness? Or am I actually speaking to the consciousness/spirit of a person who supposedly lived on Earth 2000 years ago and asked us all to love each other? I don't know. All I do know is, it helps me. And if it helps other folks, then great--whatever works.

That, and Miles Davis playing "In A Silent Way." Glorious.