Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Jkid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Aug 2009, 8:52 pm

Is there any way I can legally download real movies that are DRM free to my G1, encoded onto mpeg4?

iTunes still DRM's their movie downloads, and amazon, despite having it's own DRM mp3 store, only has DRM movies and tv shows.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2009, 9:10 pm

They lost the DRM war for music, but they're going to hold on a few more years on the video market. You'll be able to get legal DRM-free movie downloads in a few years once they buckled under the massive pressure from consumers the way they did for music. For now, I'd just buy the DVD and (if you want to have it on your computer) rip it to your hard disk. Be aware that ripping a DVD to your computer hard drive requires circumventing the CSS encryption on it, and the technology required to do this is illegal in the United States.

Jkid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Aug 2009, 9:12 pm

So it's practically impossible to take advantage of any portable video unless you have an iPod. That means my mp4 player for the G1 is practically useless.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2009, 9:27 pm

Some movies from RiffTrax, I think, are DRM-free or something like that. They're usually public domain educational films with humourous commentaries. They're not for free, though, usually about 99c (US) a pop, but AFAIK, they're what you're looking for.

Here's the website:

http://www.rifftrax.com/ondemand

It's by the same guys who did MST3K.

Also, try looking at archive.org, the Internet Archive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archive.or ... ollections

EDIT: I just read the Internet Archive's FAQ, and they don't seem to be DRM-free. Sorry.

On sabbatical...