Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Dej
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Jan 2006, 5:33 pm

Why is it when NT's are in a group talking one person will just spill out of facts and knowledge that is just common sense that people for the most part alreadly know, yet everyone listening to them act as if they have such intellignece or knowledge? I cannot figure it out.....meanwhile I am thinking duh, your not saying anything that people don't alreadly know. This is not impressive to me.But somehow this is impressive to NT's why?

An example: my coworkers were talking about a robbery that happened two times to the same bank teller. Others were listening while one lady said "You know it was an inside job, and they teach them to notice things like height, clothes, sound of voice, etc.

Everyone was like ooooh, awe, with her saying these things.... Now DUH, who doesn't know what we are taught to notice? How can they throw out facts that are common sense but be looked at like they know so much and are so interesting? I don't get it..........it seems that NT's do this alot in converstaon.

redvelvet
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jan 2006, 5:47 pm

It's called small talk, subconsiously they weighing each other up by their body language, who would be good as a friend etc, are they friendly or hostile etc, the topic isn't always that important unless any one knows something the others don't.
How they put their bit of already known info across, are they being bigheaded, or genuinely concerned about the saftey of the people their talking about etc. all this is shown not just by what is said or not said but by their body language. hope this helps. :wink:

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2006, 5:50 pm

Dej wrote:

An example: my coworkers were talking about a robbery that happened two times to the same bank teller. Others were listening while one lady said "You know it was an inside job, and they teach them to notice things like height, clothes, sound of voice, etc.

She probably sounded like some professional off of CSI or Law and Order or FBI Files...and that is probably the extent of her knowledge, too. It makes me laugh when people do that, except I probably do it, too. The only difference would be that I would continue on about everything connected to it, like other bank robberies, how they track money that's been stolen, etc.

And as far the gushing of the other people...that I really don't understand, either. It doesn't really bother me, though. Maybe the other people didn't realize they knew the information. Not everyone remembers common sense information like that. It probably just went in one ear and out the other.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2006, 6:06 pm

Maybe when they have conversations like that they're sort of collaborating and trying to figure things out (perhaps like this conversation?), and people are stating things like that out loud so that everyone is "on the same page" information-wise if they weren't already.

I don't know whether that's the case, though. It could be. Like a group effort to think something through together, and the words are part of what keeps everyone thinking along roughly the same track?

I've never noticed it before, so I've never really thought about it before.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2006, 6:25 pm

Yeah, so much of that is done just so that you don't come off as antisocial. That's a habit I've had myself out of paranoia and yeah, there's plenty of times where I think about what I said and feel like a complete idiot. At the same time though, even if you say the most no-brainer thing and feel like your going for a masters degree in the obvious, NT's at least know what your doing or why your doing it, you're just offering proof of who's living in your head at that you, that you aren't a wierdo, and that you at least have the basics of what's going on arround you down pat. I guess most people assume its safer to sound like an idiot that way than to seem unsociable or let other people take a guess as to what you do or don't know, being that I have that rift where I'm pretty much normal in the head but nonverbally vibe up like I'm seriously messed up - that's one of those things that goes a long way in proving to people that I'm allright.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Dej
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Jan 2006, 7:23 pm

But how can they be so intrigued by common sense things? I know if i were to try that it wouldn't work......they would say "yeah Dawn we know that alreadly." So how do NT's make it work and seem so popular by commense sense stuff? Its almost like they don't have anything orginal to talk about so they just spit out things they alreadly know, making people think how smart and intelignet they are. I hate it. It is one of my petpevies(?)

Ladysmokeater
Veteran
Veteran

Location: North of Atlanta, South of Boston, East of the Mississippi, and West of the Atlantic

27 Jan 2006, 7:50 pm

... or when one of us puts facts that we take for granted out there they act as if we are showing off or being pompus. How was I to that those NT's didnt know what I knew?

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2006, 7:52 pm

Ladysmokeater wrote:
How was I to that those NT's didnt know what I knew?

That happens to me a lot.

Either people tell me "I already know that."

Or I don't tell them and they say "Why didn't you tell me?"

Confusing to know which is which.

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2006, 7:53 pm

He got robbed twice? What are the chances of that?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2006, 8:32 pm

Dej wrote:
But how can they be so intrigued by common sense things? I know if i were to try that it wouldn't work......they would say "yeah Dawn we know that alreadly." So how do NT's make it work and seem so popular by commense sense stuff? Its almost like they don't have anything orginal to talk about so they just spit out things they alreadly know, making people think how smart and intelignet they are. I hate it. It is one of my petpevies(?)

I know what your saying and understand why it would be a pet-peave, especially if it seems like its ok comming out of everyone elses mouth but your own. Even keeping things in the context of conversation people used to tell me that I was comming at it from the wrong angles (ie. saying things that other people wouldn't have thought of). I guess it's one of those things where, when you've seen it long enough you eventually get the hang of it.

On the other hand I don't even think it's popular, at least not in and of itself, it's making conversation that's popular. Its wierd, but then again it's all about defusing social paranoia I think and the more desparate the measures the more of a complete waste of braincells it seems to be half the time. I guess that's when just smiling, nodding, and pretending your interested is probably the best strategy.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Ladysmokeater
Veteran
Veteran

Location: North of Atlanta, South of Boston, East of the Mississippi, and West of the Atlantic

27 Jan 2006, 10:37 pm

ilikedragons wrote:
He got robbed twice? What are the chances of that?

accually, depending on where you live, pretty good.

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2006, 2:52 am

I am bothered both by the idea that if i was NT that i would have no personal problem with talking about such stupid s**t, and that as an NT i would not really recognize how stupid it was because it is a "matter of course". It would be like walking down the street and seeing some dog s**t in plain sight and not feeling at all silly by saying, "There is dog s**t in front of us, remember to step over it so you dont step in it."
I'd gladly blow my brains out.

06xrs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jan 2006, 8:37 am

I've noticed that if I try to participate by offering some opinion or insight of my own, I'm basically ignored. But if I preface the same statement with "I read somewhere..." or "Someone told me..." its treated as fact. I've even made up bizarre stuff just to see if they would buy it.
If I say "rear-drive cars have better traction in the snow because of improved weight distribution and leverage", I get a big arguement.
But if I say "I read somewhere that rear drive cars are actually better in the snow", I get "yeah, my '72 Chevy could go through anything. They just don't make 'em like that anymore."

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2006, 11:12 am

It's the way they explain it, I think. I don't know this for sure, I can tell you that.

OTTILY
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jan 2006, 1:33 pm

redvelvet wrote:
It's called small talk, subconsiously they weighing each other up by their body language, who would be good as a friend etc, are they friendly or hostile etc, the topic isn't always that important unless any one knows something the others don't.
How they put their bit of already known info across, are they being bigheaded, or genuinely concerned about the saftey of the people their talking about etc. all this is shown not just by what is said or not said but by their body language. hope this helps. :wink:

I have been making mistakes big time! So these conversations aren't actually anything to do with the words? Everyone is just eyeing up body language? I can see how that would work and now I know why I get called stuck up! I honestly thought that they were dumb. All along it was me who didn't know the absolute basics. I knew i didn't get some body language right or I knew what it meant but didn't see how appropriate it was in a certain situation. The only body language I ever saw during those conversations was one person talking about something and then the rest of the people looking so deeply interested.
Usually i'd wander off to someone else lol Or stare at something in the distance. Ohh I'm quite embarrassed now. I wonder what they must make of me?

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2006, 1:39 pm

I understand that.