Do you consider yourself more a Democrat or Republican?

Page 5 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Mar 2019, 7:43 pm

Crimadella wrote:
Fnord wrote:
rensilaer wrote:
Do you consider yourself more a Democrat or Republican? And why?
Neither. They're both so busy fighting each other that they seem to have forgotten that they were elected to serve the people, and not use them as pawns in their political battles.

This means that Republicans call me a Democrat, and that Democrats call me a Republican.

I am a Centrist. I make my voting choices on established facts, and not on Media manipulation or Party doctrine.

hmmm, apparently I've been saying that wrong Centrist vrs Centralist

A centralist is someone who supports consolidation of power within central government, as opposed to devolution to local or regional governments.

A centrist is a word with a lot of different meanings. For me, it means a moderate existing somewhere between two major political parties, particularly on economic issues. For others, it means that they take positions from "both sides" (again, this seems to assume that there are exactly two sides, which is not true). For others, it means that they don't fit into either of the two predominant boxes. For others, it means appeals to moderation at all times, resulting in a false sense of balance. For others, and I think it would be fair to put Fnord in this category, it means that they choose their positions without reference to a "party line" or a particular ideology - they're independent minded, even if their positions are often far from "moderate" or even "between the extremes".

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2019, 8:57 pm

I consider myself center to center-right, which, under ideal circumstances, would have me lean toward the Republicans.

I support GOP politicians such as Susan Collins, Lisa Murkowski, Charlie Baker and Larry Hogan—the ones referred to as “Rockefeller Republicans”. Unfortunately, they would be demonized as RINOs outside of the Northeast (or Alaska in the case of Murkowski).

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2019, 7:20 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
I consider myself center to center-right, which, under ideal circumstances, would have me lean toward the Republicans.

I support GOP politicians such as Susan Collins, Lisa Murkowski, Charlie Baker and Larry Hogan—the ones referred to as “Rockefeller Republicans”. Unfortunately, they would be demonized as RINOs outside of the Northeast (or Alaska in the case of Murkowski).

I'm also a member of the slightly right leaning but get in fights with the far right group. I call myself a libertarian nowadays, but the libertarian party is too fringe (both in ideas and in power) to be viable.