Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

nothingunusual
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 2:16 pm

I’m a geek, not by choice, but more so due to AS. 'The Geek Syndrome' pretty much sums it up for me. I have an obscene thirst for pointless trivia and other BS. I was the one who hid in the house with my mother's medical handbooks when everyone was out and about being cool. And for most of my life I was a joke to people for being such a bloody 'egghead', having a terrible fashion sense, acting so weird and being bookish. The point of this bitching session is this - All of a sudden all the cool kids want to be geeks. The ones who go around talking about how 'nerdy' they are, looking like homeless librarians, as if it's some commentary on how downtrodden and cast-out they are. Even on the most superficial level. I've never known what the hell to wear. I've always been badly put together, preferring comfortable and easy to wear clothing, always somewhat disheveled, but clean. Suddenly there are thousands of trendy indie/hipster creatures running around looking like Ugly Betty rejects.

Go find something else to appropriate. Jesus. :?

And in the passing of momentary stillness.
We can see our chaos in motion.

20 Aug 2009, 2:19 pm

You should feel good about this. You are no longer different because geek has become the norm. Now people shouldn't judge you.

idiocratik
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 2:26 pm

Pfft. The trendy-nerds think intelligence is knowing the entire indie genre discography by heart, and throw in Johnny Cash to top off the elitism. Your location reminds me of a real geek: Michael Tsarion. That's a total info-nerd focusing primarily on Irish origins of civilization, alternative history, astro-theology, symbolism and conspiracy theory.

deadeyexx
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 2:33 pm

This is awesome. I can't wait for this new trend to come to my town. I could start ripping on people for being too normal. If you still get cast out, you can say "I'm just too geeky for all you normies".

Aoi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 2:53 pm

I wouldn't recognize a social trend if it knocked on my door and introduced itself. I was born a geek, and just get geekier with age.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 3:27 pm

Yeah I get what you mean. I do get pissed off at this nerdy trend, it's what all the scene kids and indies are doing. I've noticed everywhere some indie kid makes youtube videos saying stuff like "OMFG I'm such a nerd ROFL random! purple waffles! mooo I'm a dinosaur! I know all about indie music and I love the internet! lolz I'm such a neeerd!" this would most likely be spellt wrong if written. I'm a total internet freak myself and hang around with the nerd/geek crowd but I don't do the whole indie/geek trend.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 3:53 pm

Wait...so the hipsters are trying to be nerdy as it's one of their pointless fashion trends? So Hipsters ARE the emos of the city if they manage to piss off people this much :lol:

This seems to be mainly happening in the UK and Ireland though based off the posts here. Though it doesn't surprise me in the USA (see hipsters). Seeing the cancer take over the *chan sites and what /b/ had degenerated to (animal abuse bitching and all-old anon would NEVER do this)-and the normals taking over the anime community and injecting stuff like K-ON and whatnot......what are normals doing in my animu community? Oh, and people justifing the normals taking over things by saying "well you're more socially acceptable". What happened to those days of downloading doujins and whatnot off the net with those who were in the know :P. Then again what happened to being able to upload whatever you want on the internet again-back in the day. Before things were removed for copyright and 'illegal content'. :twisted:

Last edited by Warsie on 20 Aug 2009, 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 4:03 pm

heh heh. indie geek. that's pretty funny. is that what happens when high schoolers want to grow up to be metrosexuals?

I don't get trendiness. I used to try, but it was a bad idea. it was easier when I only shopped at goodwill. if it fit, I would wear it. for a while I mainly wore men's clothes, including tie and jacket, or 20-30 year old dresses from estate sales. now I buy my shirts off the boys racks because they're cooler than the girls'. other than that, I don't care. I just want comfortable clothing and shoes.

it does make me think, though, that I should be able to find a way to capitalize on the geek trend.

nothingunusual
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 4:20 pm

It's like running into someone who was an ass to you in highschool and having them tell you "I'm sorry about being mean to you back then. Just so you know, I think you're really cool now".

bhetti wrote:
now I buy my shirts off the boys racks because they're cooler than the girls'. other than that, I don't care. I just want comfortable clothing and shoes.

Aren't they though? Girl's shirts are always too short, fitted or have irritating details on them. Same with sweaters.

And in the passing of momentary stillness.
We can see our chaos in motion.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 4:34 pm

I also HATE how people rip on you for something and then a few years down the line the same thing they picked on you for is all the rage and they're trying to develop that trait themselves.

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 4:51 pm

nothingunusual wrote:
It's like running into someone who was an ass to you in highschool and having them tell you "I'm sorry about being mean to you back then. Just so you know, I think you're really cool now".

bhetti wrote:
now I buy my shirts off the boys racks because they're cooler than the girls'. other than that, I don't care. I just want comfortable clothing and shoes.

Aren't they though? Girl's shirts are always too short, fitted or have irritating details on them. Same with sweaters.
yeah, that whole fitted to the waist thing is irritating, tiny tight sleeves are irritating, and flowers are irritating. I want skulls and dragons on my shirts, or pithy sayings. I do draw the line at race cars, however.

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 5:01 pm

I was a geek before it was chic. Hey that rhymes. (I am in my fifties.)

Is the show "Big Bang Theory" on in Belfast? I wonder if that might help cause a nerd fad.

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 5:07 pm

Aoi wrote:
I wouldn't recognize a social trend if it knocked on my door and introduced itself.

:lol: (Same here.)

Synesthesia
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Aug 2009, 5:23 pm

outlier wrote:
Aoi wrote:
I wouldn't recognize a social trend if it knocked on my door and introduced itself.

:lol: (Same here.)

Me too. Trends are quite boring. I just do whatever I want and I don't care what anyone else is doing.
Like listening to awesome music and rolling around happily over it.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 6:00 pm

Hey, let the NTs dress nerdy if they want to. It's their choice. NTs will be NTs and it's rather a harmless thing to do, as far as trends go.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Abstract_Logic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 6:32 pm

nothingunusual wrote:
I’m a geek, not by choice, but more so due to AS. 'The Geek Syndrome' pretty much sums it up for me. I have an obscene thirst for pointless trivia and other BS. I was the one who hid in the house with my mother's medical handbooks when everyone was out and about being cool. And for most of my life I was a joke to people for being such a bloody 'egghead', having a terrible fashion sense, acting so weird and being bookish. The point of this bitching session is this - All of a sudden all the cool kids want to be geeks. The ones who go around talking about how 'nerdy' they are, looking like homeless librarians, as if it's some commentary on how downtrodden and cast-out they are. Even on the most superficial level. I've never known what the hell to wear. I've always been badly put together, preferring comfortable and easy to wear clothing, always somewhat disheveled, but clean. Suddenly there are thousands of trendy indie/hipster creatures running around looking like Ugly Betty rejects.

Go find something else to appropriate. Jesus. :?

I understand where you're coming from. A lot of cool kids now self-identify with geeks/nerds, despite not exhibiting the most tell-tale sign of a nerd: social awkwardness. If you're not socially awkward, then you most likely have a large peer network, and can thus be considered "cool". Geeks are not considered "cool" because we lack social skills and have interests that are very different from the norm. So for "cool" people to be identifying themselves as "geeks" would be a contradiction in itself.

However, this doesn't bother me one bit. If the cool kids want to be "geeks" then let them try and be geeks. They're not bothering me. I'm satisfied in my own self-concept so I could care less what other people want to do. The true "geeks" will be able to prove themselves in their careers or vocations. Geekiness is culture/trend. Geekiness is for people who want to look smart and creative. "Geek" is what normal people have labeled hard-working individuals who are devoted and passionate about their special interests. what the subject matter of this post is referring to is a set of traits that characterize people who are devoted and perseverant in their interests. it is a lifestyle and philosophy. The true "geeks" live their lives according to their own principles, which have come to be recognized being "geeky", such as a single-minded pursuit of an obscure subject. True geeks/nerds will be able to prove themselves when they have contributed something to humanity, be it efficiency at doing a specific job, being a good mathematician, scientist, doctor, etc. True geeks live for their special interests, and they don't consciously intend to express themselves specifically as "geeks". People like Albert Einstein, Isaac Newton, etc, they lived their lives for their special interests. They could care less whether they were recognized as "geeks" in their social circle. I don't live my life trying to be a geek and trying to protect my own geeky trend. I live my life according to my special interests, and it just so happens that I have the social awkwardness that characterizes "geeks". So whether other people consider me a "geek" is entirely up to them. I don't wake up every morning and try to figure out what clothes to wear that would make me look geeky. I wear what is comfortable to me, even if it doesn't match. Yes, I wear eye-glasses - myopia is actually quite a common eye condition. Doesn't mean people have to label me as a "geek" because I have an eye-condition. When I wake up in the morning, I'm thinking about my coffee and cigarette, and what time I should start working on my special interests, and whether I need to go to the library or not.

So, honestly, who gives a hoot if cool kids want to look like geeks. They've distorted the geek stereotype so much now that they make themselves look like Picasso was their tailor. It doesn't matter to me, I don't lose any bit of sleep over it. Let them make fools of themselves. What really matters is what they have to show for it. If all they have is stupid clothing and a pair of glasses, you can't get very far in life with those items. If you have a brain and the intelligence to succeed at whatever you do, and you devote yourself and consider yourself passionate about your career or special interest, then that is what matters.

RPG enthusiast
Has OCD, social anxiety, CPTSD