Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

idiocratik
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 7:26 pm

So wanting to be someone else and not express any real individuality is considered "sane" and "normal"? WE are weird for not conforming? We're seriously living in Wonderland...

"In my world nothing would be what it is,
because everything would be what it isn't;
and contrary-wise, what it is it wouldn't be,
and what it wouldn't be it would, you see?"

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 7:46 pm

so basically, "geek" or "nerd" is a state of mind, not a uniform you put on.

Abstract_Logic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 7:48 pm

bhetti wrote:
so basically, "geek" or "nerd" is a state of mind, not a uniform you put on.

Precisely!

RPG enthusiast
Has OCD, social anxiety, CPTSD

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 7:51 pm

well, there's another t-shirt I need for my collection, then.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 8:15 pm

Abstract Logic wrote:
I understand where you're coming from. A lot of cool kids now self-identify with geeks/nerds, despite not exhibiting the most tell-tale sign of a nerd: social awkwardness. If you're not socially awkward, then you most likely have a large peer network, and can thus be considered "cool". Geeks are not considered "cool" because we lack social skills and have interests that are very different from the norm. So for "cool" people to be identifying themselves as "geeks" would be a contradiction in itself.

Some people got geeky interests without lack of social skills, or a least not with problem to understanding them (They could still considered weird because of their interests though.)
Just saying...

Abstract_Logic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 8:18 pm

Tollorin wrote:
Abstract Logic wrote:
I understand where you're coming from. A lot of cool kids now self-identify with geeks/nerds, despite not exhibiting the most tell-tale sign of a nerd: social awkwardness. If you're not socially awkward, then you most likely have a large peer network, and can thus be considered "cool". Geeks are not considered "cool" because we lack social skills and have interests that are very different from the norm. So for "cool" people to be identifying themselves as "geeks" would be a contradiction in itself.

Some people got geeky interests without lack of social skills, or a least not with problem to understanding them (They could still considered weird because of their interests though.)
Just saying...

You're right. I forgot to mention those who have geeky interests but who don't lack social skills. But they still could be outcasted because of their unusual interests.

RPG enthusiast
Has OCD, social anxiety, CPTSD

laseywerecat
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Aug 2009, 8:37 pm

Since I started college I have found that I inadvertently start trends. I've worn cat ears since high school but now there are girls all over campus wearing them. I made a couple of poodle skirts a few months ago and now I keep seeing more and more of them.

kingtut3
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Aug 2009, 9:17 pm

Too many pseudo nerds. Aspies are the true nerds. I know someone who claimed to be a nerd because he liked one video game. His love of that video game is nothing compared the the obsession I used to have over Star Wars. Science was my favorite class in third grade. I thought that Bill Nye the Science guy and The Magic School Bus used to be my favorite shows. I still have no clue how to get a girlfriend. I can tell you about the economic aspects of the 20's and the great depression. I'm a true nerd.

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 11:11 pm

laseywerecat wrote:
Since I started college I have found that I inadvertently start trends. I've worn cat ears since high school but now there are girls all over campus wearing them. I made a couple of poodle skirts a few months ago and now I keep seeing more and more of them.
that's awesome. now I want to wear cat ears. I been obsessing about magical catwomen lately. I should become one.

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 11:15 pm

I don't know if this counts as nerdy, but I started talking to an ACLU volunteer who was on a membership drive. since he mentioned the group is keep an eye on same sex marriage issues, I launched into a dissertation about the problem with our state laws regarding domestic partnerships and the federal SSA policies that lock same sex partners and older women out of benefits. I didn't notice if his eyes glazed over or not, but I figured if he cared, he should get the bigger picture.

I guess people hate it when I start talking about that subject, but it along with family law are particular interests of mine that apparently most people don't share and make me kind of a downer at parties.

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 11:16 pm

I should add, make me a downer no matter how I dress.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2009, 12:09 am

I had thought that a "geek" was a "nerd with social skills." Or is there really no difference?

polymathpoolplayer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Aug 2009, 12:39 am

Synesthesia wrote:
Me too. Trends are quite boring. I just do whatever I want and I don't care what anyone else is doing.
Like listening to awesome music and rolling around happily over it.

Werd.

I wonder if anyone else feels the same: namely, that if all people were Aspie the advertisers would all go out of business. I mean I NEVER buy something because of an ad (advert), I only buy what I was going to buy anyway whenever I ran out!! !

Fashion? What's that! I set my own fashion.

NOBS
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Aug 2009, 1:30 am

Warsie wrote:
Wait...so the hipsters are trying to be nerdy as it's one of their pointless fashion trends? So Hipsters ARE the emos of the city if they manage to piss off people this much :lol:

This seems to be mainly happening in the UK and Ireland though based off the posts here. Though it doesn't surprise me in the USA (see hipsters). Seeing the cancer take over the *chan sites and what /b/ had degenerated to (animal abuse bitching and all-old anon would NEVER do this)-and the normals taking over the anime community and injecting stuff like K-ON and whatnot......what are normals doing in my animu community? Oh, and people justifing the normals taking over things by saying "well you're more socially acceptable". What happened to those days of downloading doujins and whatnot off the net with those who were in the know :P. Then again what happened to being able to upload whatever you want on the internet again-back in the day. Before things were removed for copyright and 'illegal content'. :twisted:

I see your point. Back in the '80s and '90s the same thing happened with black culture. At that point white kids started listening to rap and dressing like gang bangers. You'd hear middle class white kids from Berrrrrwyyyyyn, saying things like "you don't know where I've been, or who I am, I'll pop a cap in yo ass". I was like wtf!! ! Give me a break. When did it become cool to be opressed?

kingtut3
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Aug 2009, 8:10 am

fiddlerpianist wrote:
I had thought that a "geek" was a "nerd with social skills." Or is there really no difference?

There is question as to the difference between a geek and nerd. Some people view geeks more as someone with a specialization. Examples would include comic book geeks, computer geeks, science geeks, ect. The idea that a geek is a nerd with social skills is popular.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2009, 9:22 am

kingtut3 wrote:
fiddlerpianist wrote:

There is question as to the difference between a geek and nerd. Some people view geeks more as someone with a specialization. Examples would include comic book geeks, computer geeks, science geeks, ect. The idea that a geek is a nerd with social skills is popular.

I've always thought that geeks are the ones who are fixated on one particular subject, while nerds are those who have a passion for studying subjects and prefer spending their time doing that instead of socializing. A nerd can enjoy studying many subjects at once while a geek is obsessed with one topic in particular.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.