Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

kingtut3
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Aug 2009, 8:10 am

fiddlerpianist wrote:
I had thought that a "geek" was a "nerd with social skills." Or is there really no difference?

There is question as to the difference between a geek and nerd. Some people view geeks more as someone with a specialization. Examples would include comic book geeks, computer geeks, science geeks, ect. The idea that a geek is a nerd with social skills is popular.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2009, 9:22 am

kingtut3 wrote:
fiddlerpianist wrote:
I had thought that a "geek" was a "nerd with social skills." Or is there really no difference?

There is question as to the difference between a geek and nerd. Some people view geeks more as someone with a specialization. Examples would include comic book geeks, computer geeks, science geeks, ect. The idea that a geek is a nerd with social skills is popular.

I've always thought that geeks are the ones who are fixated on one particular subject, while nerds are those who have a passion for studying subjects and prefer spending their time doing that instead of socializing. A nerd can enjoy studying many subjects at once while a geek is obsessed with one topic in particular.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2009, 9:30 am

Wow, I never thought I'd see the day when someone argued about the exclusivity of being a geek and what a real geek is.

Nothing changes, just the labels.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2009, 10:21 am

bhetti wrote:
well, there's another t-shirt I need for my collection, then.

T-shirt: I was uncool before being uncool was cool