Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

barbedlotus
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Aug 2009, 2:25 pm

I was really close to a meltdown today. I couldn't find ANYTHING, had already been having a bad day, was tripping over and bumping into EVERYTHING; and it was getting to me. We were suppose to have already left and instead had been combing the house for keys, shoes, purse and bag, etc... for over an hour. I had just sat down to try and cool down before attempt to find my shoes again when my son brought me a package of cookies from in the kitchen. I thought he just wanted one so I pulled on out for him. He shook his head and said "No, YOU need a cookie mom. I'll be back later when your ready for a hug." and sat down to watch TV for a few minutes. I'm so glad I have my little aspie. He's the only one in the house that understands what it's like.

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 2:35 pm

And to think doctors say aspies feel no empathy

That's a sweet story. Just hearing it cheered me up.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 4:47 pm

Aaaaaaaaaw!

annotated_alice
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 4:54 pm

Love that story! Sweet little guy.

Reesie
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Aug 2009, 5:25 pm

Aww. This brought a smile to my face. That's so sweet. :)

Eekee
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Aug 2009, 7:06 pm

What a sweetheart!

number5
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 7:17 pm

That one made me smile :) . What a sweet kid!

serenitynow
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Aug 2009, 9:56 pm

OMG, that melts my heart!
I'm so glad you have him too.
My 16 yr old AS son is so in tune with how I'm feeling, he'll tell me "you need a hug".
He's taller than me, and what a nice hug! :)

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2009, 11:35 pm

Your son sees things in his own light; this shows brightly how that is not a bad thing. Thank you for sharing such a story here.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

minniemum
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Aug 2009, 8:36 pm

Arent they just lovely!! ! Your story brought tears to my eyes along with lots of memories and an overwhelming urge just to give my boy a big hug.

My son is 19 now and he is still the only one of my 3 kids who knows when I am sad, or stressed or whatever and will do something to make my day whether it is wrapping his arms around me from behind and putting his chin on the top of my head or saying something silly to make me laugh. I miss him so much as he is now flatting in one town and I live in another about an hour away. He texts me all the time just to see what I am up to.

On the days when I was taking him to work at 5.30 in the morning (I am not a morning person) he would talk to me the entire 20 minutes of the drive (and he would make me answer him with more than a grunt) and when he got out at the end he always said "now wasnt that a lovely way to start the day mum, talking with you away from Jesse and Kasey?" and he would walk off with a big grin. And I would always end up laughing and feeling so much happier.

So yes I think kids with Aspergers not only have empathy, they have sensitivity and compassion too and they are the best in the world!! ! I wouldnt swap my darling boy for all the tea in china!!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2009, 9:33 am

Aww...that's sweet. :O)

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2009, 10:04 am

This made my day. :)

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2009, 10:08 am

What a beautiful son you have! Thank you for sharing.

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2009, 4:07 pm

barbedlotus, that was an absolutely lovely story about your son -- what a nice boy he is, and so kind to you.

minniemum -- your son is EXACTLY like my 13 year old! I was so happy to read your story.

My son was recently SO WONDERFUL when I had a bad experience with my poor aging mother who has Alzheimer's. She had been in bed for a nap, and had vomited while reclined, and doesn't have the strength to sit up on her own. My son was passing by her room and notified my Dad and I that she needed help. Then, while we were dealing with her, my son ran and got a towel (without being asked) to help clean her up, he sat with her, stroked her hand, hugged her, made her a get-well card, etc. I have NEVER seen a child act so compassionately. I have two older children, 18 and 23, and neither of them would have acted so quickly or compassionately as my aspie 13 year old.

He is also perennially cheerful, and constantly helpful and kind. I don't know how he does it.