Is this a disorder or am I simply crazy?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

SplinterStar
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Aug 2009, 4:04 pm

After I got off work yesterday, I met up with somebody that is ‘friends’ with me, had late lunch, went to their place for a coffee after, and even got a ride home. I have never remembered her name longer than 24 hours, her age, or her face for that matter. I faked the entire evening flawlessly. I somehow remember she had a child named Chad (he has a birthmark on his face that looks like a pear, unforgettable thing that mark was), and she somehow knows I have a brother in Alberta (Canada if you didn’t know). We get along splendidly but every time I see her it’s like meeting her for the first time to me. I just draw on information from old conversations with her to keep up with the act. I have been working with this mystery woman for two years.

How is it I memorized every ring on Saturn, the entire periodic table, every episode of family guy, and every page of my favourite dog breed encyclopaedia, but I can’t remember any of my family member’s faces and very identities of coworkers I have been with for many months? What is wrong with me? My memory is excellent but I simply can’t place a human face.

I wake up some days and don’t even recognize my own face, or what year/month it is. I’ve been told what a dime/nickel/penny is for my whole life, but change smaller than a quarter and I’m completely lost. I’m that annoying woman that gives you a five dollar bill for something only worth $1.38. What the hell is the matter with my brain?

I have diagnosed Aspergers, and recognized math dyslexia (can't remember the proper term).

Jaydee
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Aug 2009, 4:07 pm

Perhaps you suffer from prosopagnosia? This is one definition:
"Prosopagnosia (sometimes known as face blindness) is a disorder of face perception where the ability to recognize faces is impaired, while the ability to recognize other objects may be relatively intact. The term originally referred to a condition following acute brain damage, but recently a congenital form of the disorder has been identified, which is inherited by about 2.5% of the population. The specific brain area usually associated with prosopagnosia is the fusiform gyrus." (Wikipedia)
The Crown Princess of Sweden, Victoria, suffers from this. She's unable to recognize faces.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2009, 4:24 pm

Well, I remember my son's face. I'd recognise my Dad in a crowd.

I don't really know what I look like, partly because I can't stand mirrors, and I don't have photos of myself in view, but also because... well, why would I need to look at myself? It's not like I'm ever going to have to pick myself out of a police line up.

If I had to meet my brother, I'd struggle to recognise him. I love him dearly, but I simply never do recognise him. He is beginning to be offended about this, I think. I remember standing on a bench at the train station, anxiously scanning the crowd for him one time... he was standing next to me, irritated and tapping his foot till the penny dropped.

I mean, this is someone I grew up with.

I have no friends from any of my schools. Any time I'm in towns where I went to school, I have people walking up to me saying, "hi... I remember you, you're M... from (such and such a school) I sat behind you in maths/science/english/french..."

Everyone remembers me (usually as the Irish geek) but I don't remember any of them.

There's definitely something wrong with my brain.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2009, 4:44 pm

I'd also agree with face blindness. The math dyslexia would account for your math problem. The other social difficulties accounted for by Asperger's.

Also, I think craziness would be some kind of disorder... lol

SplinterStar
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Aug 2009, 5:06 pm

Well. I'll go hunting on the internet like I always do for new information I wasn't previously aware of. I guess I'm face blind to boot too. Must research face-blindness... *twitch* :P

Aoi
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2009, 5:47 pm

No craziness here. Even non-Aspies can have extreme trouble with faces.

I have trouble with faces, though I have memorized vast quantities of data on a variety of subjects. The brain has "dedicated circuitry" primarily in the occipital lobe for facial recognition. Damage to that circuitry (from a stroke, for instance) can produce face blindness in otherwise healthy people.

Just think of it as a neurological condition. I use a trick to help: I fix in my memory particular facial details, such as ear shape, and associate that with a person's name. Then I can recall the person even if I've not seen him/her for months or longer.