Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Susie123
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Aug 2009, 8:31 am

Electric_Kite wrote:
I don't remember if those two studies said allergy or sensitivity. Or possibly even intolerance, though you'd think that would just mean you can't digest it and it either comes up or goes through relatively unchanged. I had not heard of the distinction you draw and don't understand it.*

Anyway, I presume the studies were talking about a measurable physiological response that could be tested for simply and quickly, without requiring a behavioral assessment, or it wouldn't make sense in the context of the reports.

*Somebody I know, NT, reacts badly to wheat gluten. A little bit, he becomes stupid, grouchy and withdrawn. If he eats more, he'll behave that way and complain of a headache. Even more he will develop a fever and become visibly flushed. So is this an allergy, or a sensitivity? I understand it to be a common reaction to the substance. I bet if I played with him, some pastries, and the blood-test machine at my old job, I could watch his histamine levels rise (along with his ill temper, and my own). Wouldn't that make it an allergy in spite of the fact that most of the time his reaction to wheat is behavioral?

A true allergic reaction involves a release of histamine and can be life-threatening. I don't know what the cascade of events are with sensitivities. I think you're right about intolerance.

Electric_Kite
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2009, 12:53 pm

Thank you.

BattleCreekDavid

28 Aug 2009, 8:16 pm

I think the best thing is just to give it a try, if you're able to get past not eating wheat products. I love food made with wheat and would hate to give it up. However, try it for at least a month and see what happens. Or if you do the Lent thing, give it up for Lent and see what happens.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 9:43 am

I wouldn't bother trying it myself, as I'm fond of wheat bread and biscuits, and as I don't cook, it would be difficult to think of a decent substitute for making sandwiches. If I could think of a logical reason why AS could be linked to gluten intake, I might be tempted to try, but I don't see how a brain-wiring thing can be associated with diet. But don't let that put you off if you want to give it a go.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 10:11 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
I wouldn't bother trying it myself, as I'm fond of wheat bread and biscuits, and as I don't cook, it would be difficult to think of a decent substitute for making sandwiches. If I could think of a logical reason why AS could be linked to gluten intake, I might be tempted to try, but I don't see how a brain-wiring thing can be associated with diet. But don't let that put you off if you want to give it a go.

Brain wiring is a metaphor. We aren't talking about a static physical structure. We are talking about something that involves a lot of chemistry. So, yes, diet can affect "brain wiring".

I'm not suggesting you personally should try a gluten free diet. I have no plans to, and no reason to think it would help me. But the idea that a dietary change will help some folks on the autism spectrum is quite reasonable.

LP0rc
Raven
Raven

01 Sep 2009, 10:39 pm

The only thing I can say is if you think it will help, it can help.

The singularly most potent and generally effective treatment is the placebo.

I used to carry a box of orange Tic-Tac mints and call them my happy pills. Every time I got frustrated or down, I'd take a happy pill and feel better. Be careful trying this at home, though. Tic-Tacs are a gateway drug to Mentos and Altoids.

mysassyself
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2009, 2:47 am

LP0rc wrote:
The only thing I can say is if you think it will help, it can help.

The singularly most potent and generally effective treatment is the placebo.

I used to carry a box of orange Tic-Tac mints and call them my happy pills. Every time I got frustrated or down, I'd take a happy pill and feel better. Be careful trying this at home, though. Tic-Tacs are a gateway drug to Mentos and Altoids.

:lmao: :D good idea

A Thursday child ..

Kaysea
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2010, 7:24 pm

I have been GF since I found out that I was intolerant. It has improved my bowel function, nasal allergies and headaches, and lost a trivial bit of weight, but I haven't noticed a change in my AS.

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2010, 4:46 pm

Kaysea wrote:
I have been GF since I found out that I was intolerant. It has improved my bowel function, nasal allergies and headaches, and lost a trivial bit of weight, but I haven't noticed a change in my AS.

Me too. Being GF keeps me from getting the dizzy spells I was having before. And there is "bowel function" improvement. But all those little things that make me suspect I'm AS (or close to it) are still with me.

Heliobacter20
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Feb 2010, 1:30 am

My brothers and I are all celiac, and all aspies in ascending severity from oldest to youngest. If the youngest has wheat, he gets horridly depressed and grouchy. If I have it, I get a little depressed but not so much. Mostly just because I am tired though, I think.
So, it's a try and see I think. If you have an allergy - and many people do, NT's included - try to weed it out. You're doing your body a favour at any rate.

PenguinMom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Feb 2010, 6:46 am

My family has been through very difficult times with the people promoting this diet. Read my blog for the very long, very detailed full story. At this point my daughter is diagnosed as having both Aspergers and Gluten Intolerance. The Aspergers presented some sensory issues dealing with food textures and tastes that made it hard to understand the food intolerance without medical help. The gluten intolerance presented as stomach upset and migraine headaches that, in a toddler, looked a lot like AS (banging head against the wall, throwing unbelievable tantrums, making strange inhuman sounds.)

What I believe is that there is an overlap in such people where symptoms that at first looked AS, but were actually due to gluten intolerance (or other intolerance) are cleared up by the diet. I do not believe AS can be cured through diet. I also do not believe the diet will work for all people. We saw dramatic results, but she went from a diet with A LOT of gluten to one with NO Gluten and she is (according to a very respected very mainstream gastroenterologist) seriously gluten intolerant.

psychohist
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2010, 4:08 pm

I'm on the paleo diet, which proscribes grains, dairy, and legumes, so I don't have any gluten or casein. It does not change my logic or way of thinking.

However, it does seem to make me more tolerant of interactions with other people and of irrationality in general. I still don't like them, but I don't spend a lot of time fuming silently about them.

However, in my case, I think this is more a result of a better omega 3:6 fatty acid balance than a lack of gluten and casein.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2010, 10:05 pm

Susie123 wrote:
Have any of you with AS tried or are any of you on a wheat-free and or casein-free diet? If so, do you think it helps in any way?

Thank you,
Susan

it doesn't help: Restrictive diets not appropriate for autistic kids [NYT]

also: famous 1998 vaccine/bowel study is flawed, will be retracted

Michhsta
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2010, 9:51 pm

Unless there is a physical intolerance or allergy......

As my chinese doctor says......."All things in moderation"......

Mics

matrixluver
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Mar 2010, 7:12 pm

Susie123 wrote:
Electric_Kite wrote:
The well-designed studies about it showed that the diet doesn't do anything. Those studies eliminated people who were allergic to gluten and casein from the group of test subjects.

Food allergies are common among autistic people. Milk and wheat gluten are common food allergies. Autistic people, like everyone else, do not function as well when they are ill. Thus it stands to reason that it would seem to work pretty often.

Thanks. I imagine the discarded subjects had food sensitivities, not allergies. Food sensitivities cause behavioral reactions. Food allergies cause hives and the like.

Thanks again.

That's actually not quite true. Some food allergies cause behavioral symptoms as well, and are more severe than sensitivity. Celiac disease, for example, is an allergy to gluten and can cause a range of things including behavioral symptoms. Gluten breaks down into a substance very similar to opium in a celiac; stands to reason that behavioral symptoms will be seen. This is whether the person has Autism or not. Celiac disease causes actual physical damage to the small intestine which may never be healed if it goes on long enough and may also lead to lymphoma and gastro-intestinal cancer if left untreated.

so, of course, if you have autism and celiac disease, yep, your behavior overall will improve on a gf diet. most celiacs end up being intolerant to lactose due to gut damage. hence, gf/cf diets.

People who are ALLERGIC to milk usually have nasal allergies due to it. Weird, huh?

many people are intolerant to gluten although not actually allergic. tends to happen with people with irritable bowel syndrome.