why do people say i suffer from asperger's syndrome

Page 4 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2009, 2:22 am

To be diagnosed with clinical AS in accordance with the DSM, is to be diagnosed as suffering from the effects of AS.

I find the notion that NTs judge anyone different as suffering a very silly idea indeed. No one claims Sir Edmund Hillary “suffered” from being the first person to reach the top of Mt Everest, no one claims a new sufferer has been produced when someone wins a gold medal at the Olympics.

Perhaps the most obvious reason why people describe those characterized by clinical AS as suffering from it, is because by the definition of clinical AS in the DSM, one either does not have AS or is suffering from the effects of it by virtue of being impaired (to a clinically significant level, in important areas of functioning).

AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2009, 11:44 am

Lung_Drac wrote:
Callista wrote:
Ehh... they're just using NT-speak. It's like they think if you've got a weird brain you must naturally be suffering, because who in the world could be weird and not suffer, right?

Silly NTs.

I've been seeing those two letters now, and I don't know what they mean. What is an NT? Does it mean Normal Turd person?

NT means NeuroTypical (ie. non-autistic).
But the Normal Turd thing did make me laugh, however... :lol: :lol:

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2009, 12:34 pm

To suff or not to suff topic

For me, AS is not the problem. My co-existing conditions are annoying to me. But being nonsocial (friend magnet) does not bother me a bit. :)

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Lung_Drac
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Aug 2009, 3:49 pm

jocundthelilac wrote:
Lung_Drac wrote:
Callista wrote:
Ehh... they're just using NT-speak. It's like they think if you've got a weird brain you must naturally be suffering, because who in the world could be weird and not suffer, right?

Silly NTs.

I've been seeing those two letters now, and I don't know what they mean. What is an NT? Does it mean Normal Turd person?

Close, but no cigar. Neurotypical, someone who doesn't have an ASD.

But still, I may start calling 'em Normal Turds now ;)

It just looked like Normal turds to me, because that's how most of them act. Even my sister acts like them, and she calls me weird. at one time I was so upset (after learning what NT means) I told her "Shut up, you stupid Neurotypical person." And I don't regret it.

Last edited by Lung_Drac on 29 Aug 2009, 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2009, 7:02 pm

It's going to sound odd. However, sometines I think the ones 'suffering' from something are actually the people without AS.

Joshandspot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Sep 2009, 11:12 am

explain in detail persian

Nightsun
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2009, 5:11 am

Actually: "People suffering for your Aspenger" is more correct than "you are suffering from your Aspenger" at least for me. They suffer for you so you must suffer, that's how usually normal people work. I'm glad to not be "normal".

@Pandd: that's interesting and actually I agree with you. Probably the definition is wrong, it should be a difference between aspenger "suffering" and "aspenger" without it. I hate to be around with NT people (apart from a few one) and the suffering was mainly due to them wanting to interact with me (in both positive and negative way). I'll not change my brain for anything in the word, hardly it take about 20 years for me to understand that barelly all people are not dump (and telling me that I am only because they are) but simply different. Actually I'm pretty sure I've caused more pain in the world than the world in me (and I don't feel ashamed about that). We had a long discussion with my wife (not properly an NT but not an Aspie, we are probably at the "opposite" of the spectrum, she's far more "empathic" than normal people, and sometimes that give her more problem than me not being empathic at all.) about my young daughter (we are pretty sure she is aspie as well) about her "needing help" or not. I said that I'll admit that she'll need help only if it's "way of being" will give her problem with learning skill and other think like social skill or the like can go to hell, but she's not that "rational", we'll see.