The Evolution versus Intelligent Design Test!

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Thagomizer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2006, 2:10 am

Take it here:

http://www.okcupid.com/tests/take?testid=9398363798011747468

Mithrandir
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2006, 4:08 am

"Evolution
You are 89% scientific!
You have a very good understanding of scientific methodology, and you realize that, given our current understanding, evolution is a perfectly valid scientific theory. Unlike most people, you realize that scientific inferences are by no means absolutely certain and that they rely upon predictive power and falsification as a type of crutch which helps them overcome the Humean problem of induction. You know that science derives its power from its ability to change with newer evidence.
Because of this knowledge of scientific methodology, and your knowledge of the facts in support of evolution, you do not doubt the theory. You know that the predictions of evolution have all been validated. Useless leg and hip bones inside the bodies of whales--combined with the fact that they breathe air, have fins that contain the same bones as a mammalian hand, and have teeth as embryos--prove that whales probably descended from a land mammal that has evolved and become adapted to an aquatic environment. (There are many transitional fossils that show this progression for whales, too.) Indeed, features like this are found in all animals, and no falsification of such predictions for similar structures and vestigial parts has ever been found. Pile on top of that the fact that evolution explains why it is nearly impossible to classify species as pure and distinct, the fact that it explains geological distribution and why island animals closely resemble their cousins on the closest continents, the fact that fossil records show an evolutionary progression of life, and the fact that it coheres with all the other scientific ideas that have arisen since Darwin's time (from microbiology to plate tectonics to genetics) and you've got a good recipe for a successful theory that makes an astounding number of predictions that have never been falsified!

Congratulations, you can consider yourself a true scientist. Now get out there and start correcting the fallacious arguments from incredulity of these damned creationists."

We will get our revenge on those creationists :wink:

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2006, 6:30 am

With Me it is

Intelligent Design 33% scientific

That is all I have to say with this test but this it is bias toward Evolution. It was calling Me an idiot pretty much. I find it demeaning for sure in the end.

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2006, 7:39 am

Yeah, i got a high percentage and i was just answering the question based on which one said "You are a moron." the least.

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2006, 11:01 am

Evolution
You are 97% scientific!

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2006, 12:36 pm

Wow! I got 64% and was told that I supported intelligent design. I did not like the quiz because I felt that the design was sort of biased towards evolution being absolutely correct and I seriously wanted to stick towards the middle. I do understand that evolution is perhaps the best scientific theory there is for the origin of species but I also understand that evolution is a useless theory when it comes to technological progress. I do not think that there will ever be a technology that relies upon evolution so therefore the battle for evolution or not is largely political. I would probably tend to support efforts to satisfy both science and religion (like God guided evolution or even intelligent design) simply because I view human religion as being more important than what is absolutely true simply because religion gives people a sense of having more power over their lives and aids them. Let people have their own lies, it makes them feel better, just so long as we don't stifle progress.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2006, 10:33 pm

I scored 97% scientific... :)

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Ladysmokeater
Veteran
Veteran

Location: North of Atlanta, South of Boston, East of the Mississippi, and West of the Atlantic

29 Jan 2006, 4:54 am

Intelligent Design
You are 33% scientific!
uhummm ok....

Mithrandir
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2006, 4:21 pm

Wow, 97% Scientific.
I feel less intelligent.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2006, 7:39 pm

Ladysmokeater wrote:
Intelligent Design
You are 33% scientific!
uhummm ok....

Same here. The whole test was basically calling everyone who didn't support evolution an idiot, however. :roll:

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2006, 9:56 pm

Namiko wrote:
Same here. The whole test was basically calling everyone who didn't support evolution an idiot, however. :roll:

Yeah, I did sort of think that he was trying to force us to either say that we loved evolution or to admit that we were morons. I thought that a middle road would have been nice for some of those questions. I will admit that evolution is the best scientific theory that we have, however, evolution is also a useless scientific theory and the social issues involved in evolution are more important. Religion is more important to humanity than whether or not we descended from fish.

Last edited by Awesomelyglorious on 29 Jan 2006, 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2006, 10:07 pm

Well, did any of the answers for the creationist/intelligent design mentality put words into their mouths or misrepresent what those theories are about? The author showed his preference for evolution at the end (rather smugly) but there was nothing in the creationists' answers that were misleading or much different from what those people actually think.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2006, 11:13 pm

Intelligent Design, 61% Scientific. In all honety, I'm on the fence with this issue, and I knew it'd put me near the middle. There were some questions I'd answer differently had I more options.

V111
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jan 2006, 12:19 am

Zero sum views that is has to be evolution or ID play right into the ID person hands. The basic view of ID says something made this. Not a very useful view more useful would be how did this happen something evolution covers in a lot of detail. And you ask what does the ideas of evolution help with ? In biology alot for example that pests can adapt to not be hurt by pest control agents so you have to use or make new agents. That all life is related so treating other lifeforms well is importnat if they die in the long run humans will die too as a species.

But most important ID views are a sneak attack on the open review and fact and proof nature of the Sci method. Not thanks ppl like them slowed and stoped humans from helping themself for 1500 years or more I will defend humans from those type of views.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2006, 3:33 pm

There's no contradictions between Evolution and Intelligent Design, even though I am completely atheist. BOTH could exist. A "being" or "beings" could have created the universe in which Evolution is the summation on how this "being's" or "beings'" creations of biological life change and (sometimes) improve.

But the majority of those people promoting ID believe in the story given in Genesis, literally. This DOES contradict Evolution and vice versa. Someone who believed in purely the idea of Intelligent Design would be fully able to accept Evolution as well. Christians don't seem to do this much because ID sectretly = the story of Genesis.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2006, 3:48 am

I beleive in a Intelligent Designer, and however this universe was created not just the total way like Genesis in the Bible for that is to general of a view. For I see the Universe being Intelligently Designed, also believe just in Adaption of Animal Life than pure Evolution. Genesis is just showing the general way of Intelligent Designer Creative Ways in the end.