Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2009, 3:28 pm

no, personally i'm a hummingbird
and if you forcibly stop my wings from beating, i will most certainly die :?

:lol:

musicislife
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2009, 10:20 pm

i consider myself a musician, but there are some who don't (some people i've met don't consider vocalists musicians :P )

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2009, 2:38 am

I have produced some electronic stuff in the past, and it got good reviews from the few people that actually listened to it. I may go back to that someday, but I've been writing and writing for years, trying to release a full-length album. Unfortunately, I keep getting delayed for whatever reason.

If you actually want to listen to the stuff I did years ago, here it is: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music

It's crap, really.

As for actually playing an instrument, well...

"I want to play guitar very badly... and I do" - Bono

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

AngryJessman
Toucan
Toucan

19 Oct 2009, 6:50 am

I play Guitar and anything else I choose to pick up and play

I am thinking of also becoming a DJ/Industrial Metal/Techno (etc) music maker

There is soo much (spiritual) connection you can make between people and themselves with music

Instramental Music is open to all races, it is our own universal language

Musician and Artist I am

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2009, 9:27 am

Does playing Guitar Hero count?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

hush6
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Oct 2009, 11:59 pm

Music is the only thing I'm good at. I play keyboards/synths in a band. if anyone would like to hear my band, send me a PM.

fongku
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Oct 2009, 1:23 am

I make electronic music. I have three singles out now, available from your favorite online retailer under the name fong ku! :

For Me
Underground
Body

I have a collection of past work set to release before the end of 2009. I'm astonished at how the lyrics all read like an aspie handbook even though I was oblivious to my condition.

and a brand new album awaiting final mixing for 2010.

Awithliving
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Oct 2009, 11:25 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Does playing Guitar Hero count?

It most definitely does not! :P

Pyroguy44
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Oct 2009, 9:55 pm

I'm kind of a musician, and I'm in a developing rock band, but I'm not too skilled at playing the guitar.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2009, 10:29 pm

I played piano to level 10 and violin to suzuki book 9, but haven't played in years and now i think i'm no good at either

zeichner
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Oct 2009, 10:56 am

Music consumed my life from the age of 13. Joining a drum & bugle corps sent my musical obsession into overdrive - mainly because it gave me, at the age of 14, the opportunity to play next to much older (and better) high school & college students. They (as well as the instructors) gave me lots of practical tips, and awakened in me the desire to play as well as them - which led to countless hours of practicing.

Percussion is my instrument (although I also studied trumpet & piano when I was in college) - and I love the seemingly endless variety of things that produce musical sounds when struck.

I've played drums in rock & jazz bands, snare drum in marching band & drum corps, symphonic percussion instruments in bands & orchestras, pit percussion for musical theater productions - but the love of my musical life is the marimba.

I love the beauty of the marimba's unique sound. The vibrations of the rosewood bars sound very organic & earthy to my ears. I love how playing marimba involves my entire body - how the technique requires my fingers & hands to move the mallets from note to note and my feet & legs to move from one end of the instrument to the other.

When I left the Army band & moved into an apartment, I thought perhaps my days as a percussionist were over - since there really is no way I can practice my drums. Luckily, I've found that the sound of my marimba is delicate enough that none of my neighbors has seen fit to complain.

It took me a number of years, however, to come to terms with no longer being a professional musician - and to find a place for music in my life that doesn't involve three to six hours of practice time every day. Recently I've started adding a half-hour of marimba time to my daily schedule. I find that it is an excellent way to take my mind off the stresses of the day & find an internal sense of balance. Instead of the goal being to prepare for performance - now the act of practicing is an end in itself.

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 2:00 pm

I've been playing guitar since I was about 11 and I'm not bad at all but I am rather out of practice and find it harder and harder to be inspired these days. :(

RhettOracle
Toucan
Toucan

27 Oct 2009, 1:47 am

Omigod, I am a happy person tonight. I came home with a brand new Korg M50 keyboard workstation. We were planning to get it for Christmas. The Guitar Center had it priced $400 below list, so on Sunday, we went in to see how long it would be at that price. Lo and behold, it was on sale for a further $100 off, plus they were including a free stand and sustain pedal! We signed up for the store credit card and bought it right away, but we had to wait for one to arrive at the store today.

I've just spent eight hours checking out all the sounds and jamming with the different drum kits. Haven't even looked at the sequencer or the arpeggiators yet, or even read the manual; it's been too much fun exploring. Before I got it, I thought it might be nice to get some emulation software, so I could have the sound of real Fender Rhodes, Hohner and Wurlitzer pianos, and maybe get the Hammond B3 organ package. But in going through the sound banks, they have a ton of keyboard sounds that are nearly indistinguishable from the real thing, so extra sound software will not be necessary. I haven't heard any sounds and said, "jeez, that is lame." They all sound quite real, even the brass and woodwinds. It has distorted guitars, guitars through Leslie speakers, human voices, you name it. The strings sound so realistic, I did a passable "Eleanor Rigby" that I may really learn all the parts for and record my own instrumental version, just to hear what this baby will do.

I've already written the basis of a new song, which needs some more refinement, but it's a start! After many years of hiatus, I'm going to renew my relationship with the musician in me, and finally make my album. Back when I was playing in groups, the equipment wasn't this good, and I could never have afforded it if it had been. At last, I have real tools to work with! I may never go outside again...

Well, I just had to tell somebody. Too bad I have to go to work, or I'd stay up until tomorrow playing!

SquishypuffDave
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Oct 2009, 2:24 am

Pianist by ear. I also do a lot of soundscaping.
www.myspace.com/celestialshoecrane
The sound quality on the myspace player doesn't seem to be very good, which my soundscapes sort of rely on. Tell me what you think of my piano improvisation (it was recorded a while ago on a whim, so don't judge too harshly :wink: )