Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2009, 7:41 am

NauticalCa wrote:
Hey gang,

Just curious about people's thoughts on this topic. I'm AS and Gifted, but I struggled immensely with Math back in my school days.

It's not that I find Math irrelevant or unimportant; I just found my brain didn't respond well to the methodology in which the subject was taught. It was too dry, too rote, too far removed from my daily experiences to feel any kind of connection to it. I didn't care, mostly because it felt like it was just making me think a way I didn't want to.

Since then, I've been thinking a lot about understanding Mathematical concepts better. I'm wondering, though: has anyone else ever struggled with Math and having AS? I know it seems counter-intuitive, given that AS people are supposed to have logic-based brains, but there's quite a bit of diversity in this topic as well.

Thoughts?

I have the same view as you when it comes to math, it's from a different galaxy to me.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2009, 11:04 am

I'm a particular case. I was bad in math during elementary school. It was difficult for me to memorize all the tables and I was confused when there were explaning how to resolve the problems.
But later with pre-algebra it was quite easy and I had no problems. I haven got perfect scores sometimes (When I was working well :wink: ). And mostly no difficulty for what after. The problems where you have to writing a demonstration for the why angles are the same or things like that was really difficult for me though...

Jaydog1212
Toucan
Toucan

27 Aug 2009, 12:06 pm

I have a love/hate relationship with math. I began to struggle with math when I started pre-algebra in middle school. I wish I could have gotten extra help from someone back then. I was totally lost. Then in high school I started pre-algebra in high school. It was suppose to be a up-to-speed course for people that didn't get it in middle school. I got a D. It was the only D I ever got in high school. I was totally freaked out. The teacher was crummy. She would just rattle off a lecture and didn't allow the kids to ask questions as she was going through it. She allowed the students to ask questions at the END of her lecture when she returned to her desk. There would be huge line of confused students at her desk. I would line up but the class would often end before I got to ask my questions. So I was frustrated and took the minimum math to graduate high school and still get into college (3 years of math). BTW, I re-took the Pre-Algebra course via distance education (w/proctored exams) while in high school and earned an A. I was able to learn more from the correspondence course then that crummy teacher!

I think it's neat what kind of problems you can solve using math. It's actually amazing. I took through calc2, stats, and discrete math in college. I earned a B or better in all the courses. It was extremely hard though! I think stats and discrete math was much more interesting than calculus.

One thing I wish I was better with is "mental math". I have a really hard time doing things in my head and often need to write things out.

SingInSilence
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Aug 2009, 9:36 pm

Math has never made sense to me, and that combined with the fact that I've been in Gifted math classes where the teachers assume you know what you're doing for my entire life has given me a deep-seated hatred of all things mathematical.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2009, 4:46 pm

I love math (I find my mood lifts when I do math), but I'm not a natural at it. I don't always get the concepts on my own and need the teacher to explain stuff. When I get it though, I get it for life. I would say that most of the time that I get it at a normal pace, algebra and trig is a bit better and geometry is a bit slower.

sewermouse
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Aug 2009, 4:50 pm

In elementary school i was placed in a gifted maths class. I didn't like it because I was unorganised and I struggled to get to class on time. I'm in a less advanced math class now. I like it better.

My brother (who is ASD) is really good with math, though. He scored higher than most everyone else in his grade on the math test.

jefe
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Aug 2009, 7:47 pm

Math has always been my strong point. I suppose it's because what is right is right. There is no opinion about it (as there is in writing, what I find to be interesting reading may not be so for others). Now that I have taken some of the hardest math courses (beyond Calculus III) I find its applications very useful and interesting. Math and science truly is the universal language.

Fortenium
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Sep 2009, 10:53 pm

Same here. Math has never been good from my point.

Only thing I can say is get someone to help you if you struggle (NOT pointed at the O.P., but at anyone reading this)

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2009, 6:27 pm

I'm good at math when it's shown to me, but even then I'm only good at it until something slightly new is introduced. Today I was doing equations where I had to find the LCD; I did them all right until one of problems had a denominator that had to be multiplied a little differently than the others did. I'd say I'm an average math student, I've made an A in a class before, but that's with a lot of work. At placement tests I'm on more of an intermediate level. I've made a lot of progress, I was pretty bad at math there for a while.

ayra
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

Location: My invented world, ie Kalia (kuh-lee-uh) or just stuck in Texas rollercoaster weather

10 Sep 2009, 12:49 pm

i was fine with math until i reached division and algebra. after that, it kinda became a nightmare. i think the reason for that was, is, the fact that i don't see why we need to do it. yes, i know, i'm pursuing a nursing degree and that it requires math, but still. its never in a real life setting. :lol:

My cat is the only one lately to try and distract me from this world.

musicislife
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2009, 3:20 pm

Math has always been one of my best subjects because its a very linear subject. Sciences were really easy too, particularly Chemistry and Physics. English was one of my worst because my perfectionism; everything I wrote had to be perfect the first time I wrote it down.

hodgeheg
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Sep 2009, 2:50 pm

I am considered to fit into the "good at maths" category somehow: I do well in tests and mathematical challenges. But it's strange because I make a lot more mistakes than my peers and I am often quite slow to find the answer. In general my reports from maths teachers haven't been very impressive, or have expressed surprise at the few occasions when I have performed at a high level. It might be that I'm not brilliant at handling numbers but I am good at finding solutions to problems.

DirkWillems
Raven
Raven

12 Sep 2009, 3:05 pm

My math IQ was measured at 154-157. IQs fluctuate as much as 5 points from week to week so I'd estimate 149-162 is my actual math IQ.

Mid-150s still is only top 2% whereas a general IQ of 155 is approximately top .01%.

An IQ on any individual component of an IQ test is going to be less high in relation to the overall IQ. In other words, it's impressive but not super-genius level like a general IQ of 155.

As a student on the math team entering high school, I was ranked 3rd statewide in my division. Out of the several academic meets that school year, I won dozens of trophies and medals, placed 1st in the main math competition all but once, and in one week set an 8th grade record of 3 1sts and 1 2nd in the four math/science competitions only beaten once by a 7th grader who swept the competition with 4 1st places.

The point is, I like math and am pretty good at it.

Some other achievements: placing 1st school-wide in a few math competitions in middle school (class of 400), SAT of 700 (M) or top 5 %, 1st in 4A math comp. in 5th, 6th, and 7th grades, and 3rd statewide in 8th grade.

john93

19 Sep 2009, 8:44 am

I hate math. I liked arithmetics a bit on elementary school, but now I get pointless equations, matrices, or whatever mathematical BS they want to shove in my brains, I can't stand it. I am fortunate I don't really want to choose a study that requires me to take the more abstract (=sh***y) level of math, but still I think math doesn't have any use at all, unless you want to make a new kind of calculation or physical laws like newton or w/e, and if I were in the need of doing something like this, I'd use a computer. I can't stand that math is a compulsory subject, I can best decide if I need it, right?

DirkWillems
Raven
Raven

19 Sep 2009, 3:56 pm

john93 wrote:
I hate math. I liked arithmetics a bit on elementary school, but now I get pointless equations, matrices, or whatever mathematical BS they want to shove in my brains, I can't stand it. I am fortunate I don't really want to choose a study that requires me to take the more abstract (=sh***y) level of math, but still I think math doesn't have any use at all, unless you want to make a new kind of calculation or physical laws like newton or w/e, and if I were in the need of doing something like this, I'd use a computer. I can't stand that math is a compulsory subject, I can best decide if I need it, right?

Quit your whining. I had to take 4 years of English in high school as opposed to 2 years math. I would have done better taking less English and more math but the schools in America are ret*d, hence Americans are falling further behind in all subjects. I'm in college now and still have to take English even though I took it 12 years in k-12 school.

Celtic_Frost
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Sep 2009, 7:27 pm

I am like a turtle in a marathon when it comes to math. I will evantually figure out the problem, it just takes me about 5-10 minutes to do it on paper, whereas most people either can do it or assume that I can do it in less than a minute... in my head! I would love to see college-level math, but I'm stuck in a developmental math class at the moment... :x

I hate fractions. If you're going to do anything more than the simple ones like 1/4 or 1/2, you might as well use decimals!