Page 4 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2009, 9:10 pm

Sand wrote:
NobelCynic wrote:
Nobody is saying you're not a grumpy old man Sand, just that Henrikson isn't.
Sand wrote:
I don't imagine Christ made wholly holey in palms and feet was totally bereft of a modicum of grumpiness. I don't mind being part of that group.

You're not opposed to being associated with Christ? I thought you would be.

Christ, in general, according to the stories in the Bible (which are frequently unbelievable) seemed more or less an OK guy. He liked peace and interpersonal decency. I don't go for his "believe on me and you'll get a pass into Heaven" but in a cherry picking way he seems alright. Like Joan of Arc he seemed to be a bit schizoid but considering the culture he lived in it's not surprising he garnered a few nutty ideas. I sort of like anti-establishment characters on that basis alone. Of course, he was murdered young so he doesn't qualify as a geezer.

His dad, whoever, is the original grumpy old man.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 12:44 am

Fuzzy wrote:
Sand wrote:
NobelCynic wrote:
Sand wrote:
I don't imagine Christ made wholly holey in palms and feet was totally bereft of a modicum of grumpiness. I don't mind being part of that group.

Christ, in general, according to the stories in the Bible (which are frequently unbelievable) seemed more or less an OK guy. He liked peace and interpersonal decency. I don't go for his "believe on me and you'll get a pass into Heaven" but in a cherry picking way he seems alright. Like Joan of Arc he seemed to be a bit schizoid but considering the culture he lived in it's not surprising he garnered a few nutty ideas. I sort of like anti-establishment characters on that basis alone. Of course, he was murdered young so he doesn't qualify as a geezer.

Joseph? (No religious nonsense, please)

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 2:12 am

Sand wrote:

Turning the other cheek is stupid and possibly immoral.

ruveyn

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 2:17 am

ruveyn wrote:
Sand wrote:

Turning the other cheek is stupid and possibly immoral.

ruveyn

Almost as immoral as chopping off someone's head for spitting on your shoe.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 2:22 am

Sand wrote:
Fuzzy wrote:
Sand wrote:
NobelCynic wrote:
Sand wrote:

Nope. I made a cynical religious statement, so I'll shut up. Not that I believe in a malevolent god hand. Or any.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 2:30 am

Fuzzy wrote:
Sand wrote:
Fuzzy wrote:
Sand wrote:
NobelCynic wrote:
Sand wrote:

Nope. I made a cynical religious statement, so I'll shut up. Not that I believe in a malevolent god hand. Or any.

No offense taken. God and I have been at odds for years. Anybody that condemns adultery and goes and does it himself gets no respect from me.

zena4
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 2:38 am

Sand wrote:

Yes, I think that in those countries, it must have been Youssef, not Joseph.
But that's geography.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 10:14 am

zena4 wrote:
Sand wrote:

Yes, I think that in those countries, it must have been Youssef, not Joseph.
But that's geography.

Aramaic might have had a different name altogether.