Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2009, 9:34 pm

I've seen various discussions on here about people losing speech... I'm one of those people. It's definitely related to stress. When I'm not under any stress, I'm almost fully verbal (I just struggle to explain difficult concepts, feelings, etc). A little stress, and I falter. A lot, and I go nonverbal. The more stress, the less words. Under very bad circumstances, I can be completely nonverbal for days. This got much worse when I started a new medication. It makes me very tired, and whether it's because of the fatigue or directly from the medication itself... I use far fewer words. Unfortunately, the med has reduced my migraines to almost nil, so it's worth losing words.

Here's my question. Does anyone who loses words use sign language to communicate? I often type on my computer while my friend (yeah, I really only have one) is also in view, and we have conversations that way. My mom just can't communicate that way though. Also, with my friend, sometimes we go places or do things and the computer isn't practical. We talked about both learning some essential signs (I need, help me, give me it, too loud, I want to leave, etc) and a few that will allow me to keep my personality (I like that, emotions). It's hard for other people to get my attention when I disengage, but once they do, I hear and react to their speaking... I just can't respond with speech. So, they only need to learn to recognize my signing. I just wondered if anyone else did this and had success with it??

For the record, I don't have AS. I might pass for such on a good day, but I'm more toward the middle of the spectrum. I know there are some other people like me on WP though, so I thought I'd put it out there :)

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2009, 10:41 pm

I've learned sign, and my mom know a few basics, however it is not practical for me to use in public. I too am more in the middle to severe end of the spectrum.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2009, 11:29 pm

I could see it being used with family members or close friends but anyone else who doesn't know sign language, probably the majority, it'd be useless for. I don't think I have this problem, I can communicate needs to one of my family members just fine. At school and to people I don't know, this is very different, but I have an in class laptop and there's always paper if I just couldn't communicate it verbally. For other things I usually just sit there 'cause I'm not sure how to ask, but a teacher always comes over and asks how I'm doing with everything. Also half the time I get alternative assignments so I need someone to come over and explain it to me anyway. That and my iep goal this year is to ask for help with things, so maybe this will get better.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2009, 11:31 pm

yes sign language is one of my main communication, without it, its basically a guessing game. i am verbal my verbal language can consist of babbling, one worders, phrases, or jus mini sentencens, or just noises. sign language is a huge help, that and my mini pec books when i need them as well. i have had a lot of success with sign language and swear by it literally. idk what u mean by middle? do u mean u have moderate autism or more severe aspergers or yea...? im stupid dont mind me lol either way good luck!

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

29 Aug 2009, 4:51 am

You amaze me! I didn't know anybody else did that.

To answer your question, I don't use sign, but I've always wanted to learn. It would be such a relief if I could sign rather than struggle with words when I'm tense. The thing is, I'm highly verbal, when relaxed. I'm *still* highly verbal when typing - just not voice.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2009, 9:32 am

Age1600 wrote:
yes sign language is one of my main communication, without it, its basically a guessing game. i am verbal my verbal language can consist of babbling, one worders, phrases, or jus mini sentencens, or just noises. sign language is a huge help, that and my mini pec books when i need them as well. i have had a lot of success with sign language and swear by it literally. idk what u mean by middle? do u mean u have moderate autism or more severe aspergers or yea...? im stupid dont mind me lol either way good luck!

Hi, I'm sure glad to see you back on. I was beginning to get worried. Welcome back :-)

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2009, 12:28 pm

Middle of the spectrum meaning... hmm... yeah, mild/moderate autism. I have really, really severe sensory issues that make my autism more severe. The sensory stuff definitely makes my communication worse and makes my stimming way more frequent too.

It's good to see that others have had this work for them. I'm learning the signs so fast! I'm really hoping it helps for when the words just don't happen. When i'm scripting or echolalic, but what I really mean is that I'm stressed out because it's too loud, I'm almost positive that I could still get the sign for "loud" out, even when the words are long gone.

I'm not too concerned about being able to use it with the general public, because I don't communicate with them anyway. If my mom and one close friend could learn the essentials, it would be great. When I'm in public, a lot of employees and stuff tend to ask whoever I'm with what I want/need anyway (example, like, "...and what does she want to eat?" at a restaurant). I often communicate through my friend or my mom... so the signs would still do their job! Thanks guys :)

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2009, 1:59 pm

SuperTrouper wrote:
Middle of the spectrum meaning... hmm... yeah, mild/moderate autism. I have really, really severe sensory issues that make my autism more severe. The sensory stuff definitely makes my communication worse and makes my stimming way more frequent too.

It's good to see that others have had this work for them. I'm learning the signs so fast! I'm really hoping it helps for when the words just don't happen. When i'm scripting or echolalic, but what I really mean is that I'm stressed out because it's too loud, I'm almost positive that I could still get the sign for "loud" out, even when the words are long gone.

I'm not too concerned about being able to use it with the general public, because I don't communicate with them anyway. If my mom and one close friend could learn the essentials, it would be great. When I'm in public, a lot of employees and stuff tend to ask whoever I'm with what I want/need anyway (example, like, "...and what does she want to eat?" at a restaurant). I often communicate through my friend or my mom... so the signs would still do their job! Thanks guys :)

ohh i c thanks for fixint that,... i also have severe sensory issues, and am a huge sensory seeker, carry around my rubber keyboard, my rubbery phone with me all times, jus to rub, bite, and feel, along with other stuff.. anyways, yes def try sign language, its a blessing to know, and get ur family involved, which is even better. try these sites... www.lifeprint.com www.aslpro.com good sites to help learn sign. signing is great like that, inside my head words will be floating but my verbal vocal cords nothing comes out, so signing comes only naturally and feels so much easier and less strain too. hehehe ppl do that to me asking what i want through other ppl, but watch out dont become a potted tree like me where everybody talks about u right next to you, or asks questions about u, right next to u, like im deaf or cant understand, omgosh its happened, not fun.. either way good luck again hehehe

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2009, 10:24 pm

Oh my gosh, Age, I think you are the person I've been saying doesn't exist!

I've been saying "but there's no person with autism who's anything like me," but you sound a lot like me! I'm majorly sensory avoidant when it comes to auditory stuff, and i'm picky about the tactile stuff (i HATE certain feelings, but go crazy seeking other ones, who knows!). but it sounds like we are kind of similar in some ways. somehow tha tjust makes me feel better, knowing that someone else has autism like I do! I have a rubber chew tube that I keep around because otherwise I bite my hands until they're all bloody and that's no good. I like to wear wrist weights because then I just feel so much better and I LOVE my weighted blanket soooo much! I have a little thing that's like 8 inches by 12 inches that's filled with rice that is meant to be a hot/cold pack but i just like the weight of it. I usually put it on my head or my face. When i start hitting my head, my friend always tells me to get that and use it instead, and it works a lot of the time.

I already found that lifeprint site... i printed off some of the signs I thought I'd use and gave them to my mom so she can learn them. She is trying! DO the words float around in your head but you can't get them to stop moving with your voice to get them out? THat's what happens to me. WHen i type them, they're on the screen and so they stop moving and then it's fine. But I can't SAY them... they just keep moving and moving and moving in my head, so they won't come out!

What are the most important signs you've learned, the ones you use most often?

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2009, 10:56 pm

SuperTrouper wrote:
Oh my gosh, Age, I think you are the person I've been saying doesn't exist!

I've been saying "but there's no person with autism who's anything like me," but you sound a lot like me! I'm majorly sensory avoidant when it comes to auditory stuff, and i'm picky about the tactile stuff (i HATE certain feelings, but go crazy seeking other ones, who knows!). but it sounds like we are kind of similar in some ways. somehow tha tjust makes me feel better, knowing that someone else has autism like I do! I have a rubber chew tube that I keep around because otherwise I bite my hands until they're all bloody and that's no good. I like to wear wrist weights because then I just feel so much better and I LOVE my weighted blanket soooo much! I have a little thing that's like 8 inches by 12 inches that's filled with rice that is meant to be a hot/cold pack but i just like the weight of it. I usually put it on my head or my face. When i start hitting my head, my friend always tells me to get that and use it instead, and it works a lot of the time.

I already found that lifeprint site... i printed off some of the signs I thought I'd use and gave them to my mom so she can learn them. She is trying! DO the words float around in your head but you can't get them to stop moving with your voice to get them out? THat's what happens to me. WHen i type them, they're on the screen and so they stop moving and then it's fine. But I can't SAY them... they just keep moving and moving and moving in my head, so they won't come out!

What are the most important signs you've learned, the ones you use most often?

wow u do sound like me hahaha. i looove my weighted blanket and seek out hot and cold, use an ice pack to help relieve some of the headbanging i crave but it doestn help always ive slammed my head into concrete, marble, walls, tables, u name it.. i use a vibrating teething ring cuz i chew through chewys and choke on them lol and yea make myself bleed all the time, my newest thing is punching my sides until i bruise and give myself huge welts all over, and will do it until i like sprain my leg whcih ive already done lol but nothing major need to go to ER yet.

with my words, not always float around only sometimes float around but when they do, its like there is no connection i can think an exact wor dlike lets say, boat, nothig will come out, but all that will float around is boat, then later on durin that day ill jus start repeating boat the rest of the night, idk its weird like that, same with me tho on computer, i can type amazingly, but speaking is like the complete oppsotie. i use a lot of basic signs to get by, my most important ones are... eat, drink, more, crackers, hurt, and toilet. i use those on a daily basis, along with bad and good, and every now and then ill have i guess u could put it 3-4 sign sentence, but mostly do the basics like i said above. i feel those are the most important. very cool meeting ya, i dont meet many autistics like me at all, love to meet others life me, helps a lot!