Page 1 of 6 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

pesky
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Aug 2009, 12:52 pm

I believe that DHA/ARA supplemented infant formula is contributing to autism. I know that this sounds ridiculous.Formula manufacturers are not being honest with you.Better brain and eye development?Find out what I know and decide for yourself.Big pharm-synthetically engineered profit.

Last edited by pesky on 29 Aug 2009, 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pesky
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Aug 2009, 12:54 pm

check out autisminfantformula on the web-DHA/ARA supplemented infant formula.Extracted from fungus and algae by neurotoxic hexane.Added to infant formula with iron to initiate oxidative stress.Has no benefit for males.Parents paying for a modern day snake oil that extremely unstable and potentially neurotoxic.Heavy metal poisoning from excessive iron supplementation. DHA/ARA combined with ferrous sulfate(iron supplement used) = f-2 f-4 neuroprostanes-found elevated in alzheimers and parkinsons.

SplinterStar
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Aug 2009, 1:32 pm

but I was never given formula as a baby. :?

pesky
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Aug 2009, 1:35 pm

pesky wrote:
check out autisminfantformula on the web-DHA/ARA supplemented infant formula.Extracted from fungus and algae by neurotoxic hexane.Added to infant formula with iron to initiate oxidative stress.Has no benefit for males.Parents paying for a modern day snake oil that's extremely unstable and potentially neurotoxic.Heavy metal poisoning from excessive iron supplementation. DHA/ARA combined with ferrous sulfate(iron supplement used) = f-2 f-4 neuroprostanes-found elevated in alzheimers and parkinsons.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2009, 1:54 pm

I was breast fed as well but maybe there are both genetic and acquired versions of autism. So are we talking about lead poisoning here pesky?

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2009, 2:07 pm

I was breast fed, and never had formula milk, or indeed non human milk, until I was over three years old. And my son, who is an aspie, never had formula, and was breast fed for just over three years. I've known a few auties and aspies who were breast fed. In fact, statisically, from the sample I know, you could argue that human milk causes autism... which is obviously daft.

Aoi
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2009, 4:17 pm

I have to agree with Aimless and mgran. I was breast-fed, as were many of the Aspies I know. Further, Hans Asperger described the condition we now use his name for in the early 1940s, when the DHA/ARA formula did not exist.

AS and other ASDs are found around the world, in many cultures and societies over many, many decades (or longer). One food item can easily be ruled as a cause out given the epidemiological data. But, food or toxins may, according to some researchers, trigger the onset or aggravate the symptoms of AS and other ASDs.

29 Aug 2009, 4:31 pm

This is another bullcrap. My brothers were never breastfed and they aren't autistic. They would be if this were true.

PS don't believe everything you read online. People are still trying to find blames to autism and it's all ludicrous.

Last edited by Spokane_Girl on 29 Aug 2009, 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2009, 4:32 pm

Hmm.

I was given formula and I have AS.

Then again, my brother was also given formula and he's as NT as you can possibly get.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

leighsa
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Aug 2009, 5:38 pm

Is it possible the ingredients in formula are contributing to the increase in autism? Maybe. If environmental toxins have anything to do with autism-- then I guess its possible synthesized formula could be one of many contributors.

BUT, I'm glad several people have already posted that they, or their children, were never given formula. My son with autism is another one who was never, ever given formula... so formula definitely ISN'T the cause of autism.

Also, someone was on here just yesterday hypothesizing that early weaning was the cause of the increase in autism. Again, my son breastfed until he was 2 1/2. I did everything "right" regarding prolonged exclusive breastfeeding so I can say breast vs. bottle feeding cannot possibly be the answer.

pesky
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Aug 2009, 6:37 pm

I never claimed that DHA/ARA infant formula is the cause of 100% of known cases of asd.That would be ridiculous.If you had this newer formula and are unaffected than count your blessings.The DHA and ARA used has been clinically proven to affect males differently than females.There is NO BENEFIT for males at five times the current dosage in infant formula.The manufacturer and scientific community are unsure why.So I guess it is ok to pay an extra for a supplement that has no benefit.If we don't know how it affects gender differently,than how much do we really know about its safety?I,m not the one who is full of bull.That would be the infant formula/drug company.I am a parent of an autistic child.I am on your side not theirs.Everyone should be outraged for paying extra for modern day snake oil.

pesky
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Aug 2009, 6:46 pm

The DHA and ARA added to formula is actually DHASCO and ARASCO.This is synthetic DHA and ARA that is extracted from fermented algae and fungus by hexane(neurotoxic).Added in 2002 and new to the food chain.Structurally different than natural sources.Not found with palmitic and oleic acid esterifications like natural breast milk DHA/ARA.When combined with iron-reacts violently.Forms fenton reaction to yield F-4 ,F-2 isoprostanes and neuroprostanes respectively.These end products are found in elevated amounts in every form of neurodegenerative disease. I'm just getting started.

29 Aug 2009, 6:57 pm

Autism has been around before 2002. I was diagnosed in 1997 with AS and autism in the 80's. There are lot of autistic people out there who were born before 2002.

People just like to find a blame to autism. It's been watching too much TV, rain, hard wood floors, bad parenting (I think that was the first blame for the cause of autism) internet, and of course vaccines (the most common blame for autism).

pesky
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Aug 2009, 6:58 pm

The manufacturer of DHASCO and ARASCO (DHA single cell organism,ARA single cell organism)has a specific step in processing these novel oils.They remove all trace metals and then add anti-oxidants.This is done to improve shelf life.Iron will cause DHA and ARA to oxidize very quickly.This is why they remove trace amounts of it .They then send it to infant formula companies who add ferrous sulfate as an iron supplement.They are aware of the reaction between these components.They are not responsible for formula safety.Neither is the FDA.This is the responsibility of the infant formula manufacturer.This is why I have over 176 pages of adverse event reported to the FDA.Go to my website and view these reports for your self.The FDA has labeled DHASCO and ARASCO as GRAS.Generally Regarded As Safe.As far as they are concerned,these supplements are probably safe.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2009, 7:31 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
Autism has been around before 2002.

Are you seriously THAT short-sighted? I'd hope not.

If I understand this correctly, no one is saying this DHA and ARA IS THE SOLE CAUSE OF AUTISM, and EVERYONE WHO INGESTS IT WILL GET AUTISM. What the OP is saying, again if I understand correctly, is that it is a CONTRIBUTING FACTOR to the rise in numbers of diagnosed autism - same goes for any of the other theories. To those who say "Well I had forumla as a baby, and I didn't get autism" or "I was purely breastfed and I got autism" - GREAT...You're ONE person. Just because your experience proves otherwise, doesn't mean it's impossible for it to be true.

Now I'm not taking sides, or saying it's true or not true, but let's be logical here.

29 Aug 2009, 7:42 pm

Call me short sighted if you want but I still don't believe it. I have my reasons. Aspergers has always been around but it wasn't known in our country till 1991 and the condition was discovered in 1944 by Hans Asperger. Many adult aspies went undiagnosed throughout their lives. Now some are getting diagnosed as adults.

By autism, I assume we are talking about the whole spectrum. I also don't believe it has increased, the spectrum has been recognized so it made 1 in 150 than 1 in 10,000. Just my speculation. Now it's 1 in 100.

Also if the formula caused autism, then every child would be autistic who were born in 2002 and after who were fed by formula.