31 Aug 2009, 10:26 am

for depression or suicidality?

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2009, 10:43 am

digger1 wrote:
for depression or suicidality?

I generally advocate medication only for a chemical imbalance. It could cause either, though usually in severe cases only the former.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2009, 8:51 pm

I think I had both, I don't think anti-depressants would have worked if my depression was just emotional. I was suicidal from my depression off and on for four years, and have been trying to get on a good anti-depression for around two. I'm finally on the right dosage, and it's helping me be able to focus on working through my emotional mess. It took a while, and one medication did make me even more suicidal then I already was. I support anti-depressants because they've helped me so much and know that for a lot of people, they also help them. Nothing is fool-proof though, and you need to be monitored when going on these medications.

Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2009, 11:16 pm

heh, it took me 7 years to find an anti-depressant that worked :lol:

i cant even honestly say that it works. i'm still rather boring, i'm just not...sad, y'know. doesn't mean i'm happy.

they're a huge scam, really. medicene can't cure depression, no matter what medicene you put in your body your problems may still exist.

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 12:11 am

886 wrote:
heh, it took me 7 years to find an anti-depressant that worked :lol:

i cant even honestly say that it works. i'm still rather boring, i'm just not...sad, y'know. doesn't mean i'm happy.

they're a huge scam, really. medicene can't cure depression, no matter what medicene you put in your body your problems may still exist.

depends on the problem. If your problem is that you are depressed because of something that happened to you, then anti-depressants won't work. If your problem is that you have a chemical imbalance in your head... then therapy won't work.

You need to treat the source and not the symptoms

Ralou
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Sep 2009, 11:20 am

anna-banana wrote:
what psych said. when you're really depressed you're too disorganised and apathetic to even kill yourself :P when you start taking meds you get the dopamine kick that lets you make those plans a reality.

also, when on meds suicidal thoughts get more organised, like planning and preparing instead of just whining "I feel so bad and I want to die".

Great. So without antidepressants, I'm too depressed, whiny, and disorganized to get my act together enough to commit suicide.

That depresses me even more...except it's so ridiculous it's funny.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 12:37 pm

Ralou wrote:
anna-banana wrote:
what psych said. when you're really depressed you're too disorganised and apathetic to even kill yourself :P when you start taking meds you get the dopamine kick that lets you make those plans a reality.

also, when on meds suicidal thoughts get more organised, like planning and preparing instead of just whining "I feel so bad and I want to die".

Great. So without antidepressants, I'm too depressed, whiny, and disorganized to get my act together enough to commit suicide.

That depresses me even more...except it's so ridiculous it's funny.

I was just speaking from my own experience :)

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 10:03 pm

Antidepressants have been improved over the years in waves, from potentially harmful MAOI's, through intersting tricyclics to our current SSRI's. None of them are perfect, they're just cash cows for drug companies, and meager alternatives to .50 Caliber Aspirin.

One of the problems with these drugs is the fact that depression is rarely a disorder of itself, it's usually caused by several other factors, which no drug can magically fix. They can make everything a little brighter, but what really needs to change is one's perception in order to be happy.

BelindatheNobody
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 10:32 pm

I hate the anti-depression med ads, for many reasons. They're often really cheesy. And for some reason, I often get the feeling the actors in them have never been depressed... :? But maybe that's just me.

As for the meds themselves, I won't take them.

Flavors of: Nobody. Slytherin. Autistic.