Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2009, 4:34 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pathologic ... _avoidance

The wiki claims it's a PDD and on the autism spectrum. Has anyone heard of this or been diagnosed with this? I've never heard of it.

Quote:
In contrast to most individuals with autism spectrum disorders, individuals with PDA possess superficial social skills and seem to have a theory of mind. They often engage in manipulative, domineering behavior. The defining criteria are:

1. Passive early history in the first year, resisting ordinary demands and missing milestones
2. Continuing to resist demands, resorting to tantrums, distraction techniques
3. Surface sociability, but apparent lack of sense of social identity, pride or shame
4. Lability of mood and impulsivity
5. Comfortable in role play and pretending
6. Language delay, seemingly the result of passivity
7. Obsessive behavior
8. Neurological signs (awkwardness, similar to autism spectrum disorders

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2009, 4:52 pm

It sounds more like a pediatric version of Borderline Personality Disorder. :?
From the wiki article and the one site that it cites, I'd say that it's just some theory some random "researcher" has come up with. I wouldn't take it too seriously..

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2009, 5:09 pm

I agree with the similarities to BPD. Actually, I don't see how this relates to autism at all.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2009, 5:23 pm

I'm sure it satisfied her dissertation, it was either that or the trajectory of penguin poo and she’s not even a zoologist.

DylanMcKay
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Aug 2009, 6:49 pm

I have a hard time understanding terminology. I've read wikipedia entries but I don't feel I have an adequate understanding of what things like "theory of mind" and "borderline personality disorder" are really all about. Also, what's the difference between Asperger's and High Functioning Autism? Is it really more of a question of semantics and psychiatric turf war, or are there very real differences which aid in differentiation between the two? I've never heard of Pathological Demand Avoidance either.... since the concept was first introduced in the UK, I wonder if psychologists in other countries are as apt to recognize it?

Anyways, I apologize if I am intruding on your post buryuntime, but could someone please briefly in a nutshell sum up theory of mind and BPD? I feel it would help me a lot.

By the way, parts of Pathological Demand Avoidance sound like me. I feel as though I can demonstrate "surface sociability", but it is very true that I have a lack of social identity. But couldn't you apply this lack of social identity to most any conditions on the spectrum such as Asperger's? I don't engage in "manipulating, domineering behavior" however, so that may preclude me from being a candidate for official diagnosis.

Again, I apologize if this post is out of order but I feel it does relate to the original poster, I just feel as though I need to get caught up to speed on some of these important terms that are frequently tossed around.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2009, 8:22 pm

DylanMcKay wrote:
I have a hard time understanding terminology. I've read wikipedia entries but I don't feel I have an adequate understanding of what things like "theory of mind" and "borderline personality disorder" are really all about. Also, what's the difference between Asperger's and High Functioning Autism? Is it really more of a question of semantics and psychiatric turf war, or are there very real differences which aid in differentiation between the two? I've never heard of Pathological Demand Avoidance either.... since the concept was first introduced in the UK, I wonder if psychologists in other countries are as apt to recognize it?

Anyways, I apologize if I am intruding on your post buryuntime, but could someone please briefly in a nutshell sum up theory of mind and BPD? I feel it would help me a lot.

By the way, parts of Pathological Demand Avoidance sound like me. I feel as though I can demonstrate "surface sociability", but it is very true that I have a lack of social identity. But couldn't you apply this lack of social identity to most any conditions on the spectrum such as Asperger's? I don't engage in "manipulating, domineering behavior" however, so that may preclude me from being a candidate for official diagnosis.

Again, I apologize if this post is out of order but I feel it does relate to the original poster, I just feel as though I need to get caught up to speed on some of these important terms that are frequently tossed around.

I think theory of mind, borderline personality disorder, and especially Asperger's VS. HFA have been discussed here before, more than once. You could try searching for these at the top of the page. Sorry, I wouldn't be the best at explaining these differently than a wiki page could.

Also, I think "manipulating, domineering behavior" is the main aspect of PDA (what terrible initials). Here's an excerpt from a PDA site on it. http://www.pdacontact.org.uk/frames/index.html :

Quote:
People with PDA usually have good eye contact, and use this to good effect when socially manipulating others. They lack self identity, and children find it difficult to recognise that they are not adult, and seldom identify with other children. While people with PDA usually know how others should behave, they are unable to include themselves within these expectations. They are often imitative of inappropriate behaviour, and it is for this reason that, wherever feasible, support should be given in mainstream school to provide them with as normal a peer group as possible. They show an obsessive need to dominate in social interactions, and to ensure that everything is done on their own terms, and often come across as overbearing. It is helpful to view this behaviour as a defensive strategy that is borne out of deep anxiety about the demands that they fear will be made of them, and a need to control their environment to prevent this.

People with PDA seem to feel an urgent need to avoid the ordinary everyday demands placed on them, to a pathological degree which is not normal laziness or timidity. Their social skills allow them to use excuses; distraction attempts (such as 'Wow, look over there!' just as you are asking for their cooperation), or controlling the interaction by refusing to speak or trying to drown out your voice with speech or singing (according to the child's personality) are all very common. For more descriptive details of ways in which different children try to resist demands, please refer to the Diagnostic Criteria section.

If you click Diagnostic Criteria on the side of that website it shows how the criteria compare to those with autism. I'm not seeing much of a resemblance.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2009, 8:52 pm

Quote:
If you click Diagnostic Criteria on the side of that website it shows how the criteria compare to those with autism. I'm not seeing much of a resemblance.

Me neither.

It does sound like a mixture of normal misbehaviour and BPD.

Could also be they have issues about not being assertive enough to stand up for themselves, so they compensate by refusing to comply with demands in any way...Just theorizing really...