Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

masterdieff
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Sep 2009, 5:58 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Shouldn't this go to the Adult forum?

No. ViperaAspis beat me to the punch. Other than what he said, the adult forums are about daily living issues and general adult autism issues, not as a dumping ground for uncomfortable subjects.

Not a Christian, just a thinker.

Aoi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 9:38 pm

So back to the topic at hand...

The"running human" idea has several obvious flaws, the first of which is that modern hunter-gatherers who chase down their prey over long distances are likely a result of the absence of large predators, long since hunted to extinction or otherwise extinct in the Americas, and thinly spread in other parts of the world. Yes, humans can outperform a variety of animals over long distances, but that is only relevant if you survive the short distance. Early humans had to be able to not only catch what they were hunting, but also avoid being caught.

The heat dissipation idea also has to somehow be reconciled with the long history of human beings living in temperate or cold climates, especially given that much of the past 100,000 years was a glacial period, as opposed to the warmer interglacial period that started about 10,000 years ago.

Also, the cat whisker's comparison is weak, in my view, since cat's whiskers are used for navigation in the dark. Whiskers tend to be slightly wider than the cat itself, and so serve as a good proxy for where the cat can and can't fit when light is insufficient to reveal that. the whiskers are also highly sensitive to minute air currents, say some, helping the cat hunt more effectively.

The survival of genital hair could be accounted for in part as a way to protect an otherwise vital and sensitive area from parasites or other small nasties.

masterdieff
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Sep 2009, 10:14 pm

Aoi wrote:
The heat dissipation idea also has to somehow be reconciled with the long history of human beings living in temperate or cold climates, especially given that much of the past 100,000 years was a glacial period, as opposed to the warmer interglacial period that started about 10,000 years ago.

I don't see why, seeing as the species Homo sapiens evolved 200,000-300,000 years ago in Africa, during the formation of the Sahara desert and the thinning of forests.

EDIT: Come to think of it I might be way, way off on the Sahara.

Not a Christian, just a thinker.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2009, 8:49 am

greenblue wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
well disabuse yourself of that notion immediately. Women have facial hair...........

Really? You mean, women can naturally get like this?

I mean, if women do have facial hair, I didn't know it can get like that, unless there is some information missing, like explanations as to wether women can grow hair to that amount in the face as few males do as the picture illustrates or not, and if they don't, why the difference and why that notion exists.

well, nice photoshop, but yes, woman on my mothers side of family have a perfectly wonderful 'van Dyke' style beard, just like the men on my mother's side. Only difference is we pluck, wax, dipilate and (shudder) shave it off.

NarcissusSavage
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2009, 10:37 am

Human skin exposure to the sun is responsible for a significant portion of our Vitamin D production. If you where completely covered in hair, you simply wouldn't have had enough Vit D. By the time people had begun to use significan amounts of clothing, they had learned ways to supplement thier diets with other sources of Vit D.

Not hardcore fact, but a strong hypothesis within some scientific circles.

~NS

LordoftheMonkeys
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2009, 12:08 pm

I read somewhere (though it wasn't from a reliable source) that pubic hair exists to block out infectious bacteria and prevent disease.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2009, 9:42 am

Fuzzy wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
masterdieff wrote:
. Now, forgetting for a moment that women do not have facial hair (a big hole I only just realized), Any thoughts?

well disabuse yourself of that notion immediately. Women have facial hair.

Indeed. Humans, discounting hair loss, have hair on pretty much their whole bodies. I think the exceptions are the palms and soles.

We have tiny hairs all over our bodies to detect bugs, head hair for insulation, & only parts of bodies w/o hair are palms, soles (as Fuzzy said b4), nipples & external genitals. Humans just have much thinner/sparser hair than other apes basically.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2009, 7:47 pm

LordoftheMonkeys wrote:
I read somewhere (though it wasn't from a reliable source) that pubic hair exists to block out infectious bacteria and prevent disease.

Pretty sure thats true, it definitely makes sense.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2009, 3:48 am

ViperaAspis wrote:
No. This is science (Biology) being discussed scientifically in the science forum with a dash of humor thrown in. Nobody here is intending that you become aroused.

Yes so much so that it's wearing a tinfoil cap! :P

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2009, 8:28 am

Its Nature's way of keeping the crotch warm

ruveyn

b9
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2009, 9:08 am

some people's facial hair looks like a pubic bush to me.
like they are d*ck heads almost.

ViperaAspis
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2009, 2:42 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
ViperaAspis wrote:
No. This is science (Biology) being discussed scientifically in the science forum with a dash of humor thrown in. Nobody here is intending that you become aroused.

Yes so much so that it's wearing a tinfoil cap! :P

Always wear protection!
Also, this cat is missing your (former) cat avatar... :cry:

showman616
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Sep 2009, 8:04 pm

I think we can agree that the question is - not why do we HAVE pubic hair.

Its why did we loose the rest of our fur, and retain pubic hair.

The heat dissappation idea seems plausible to me for why we lost fur.
(except why do we have hairy armpits- hair AND sweat glands in the same spot?).
( Do chimps pant? Or do they sweat? someone look that up)

Pubic hair probably functions simply as packing material to cushion our sensitive genitilia. Not to SENSE danger from bugs, but to cushion against blunt blows.

Facial hair is a different matter. The male beard was probably a signal of dominance- the equivalent of a Mane in a male lion. Indeed we probably got beards because we lost our prominent male canine teeth sported by male baboons, chimps, and Gorillas.

showman616
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Sep 2009, 8:18 pm

masterdief is right.

We DONT have a long history outside of Africa and the tropics.

We became human (sweatglands and all) in africa.

Further-by the time we invaded the Eurasian landmass beyond africa not only were we fully human but by then we had invented fire, and clothing, and no longer needed to evolve body traits to adapt to any kind of environment cold or otherwise.