Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2009, 2:57 am

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
Sand wrote:
Me taking on faith. Come on! The smell of intellectual garbage is rather overwhelming and exceedingly repulsive. Accepting the possibility if disaster has nothing to do with faith. It involves thinking about how to react to extreme circumstances. Praying is a naive bit of nonsense whether or not you have the good sense to prepare.

Sure but why not. Maybe it's irrational, but lots of people do it anyway, even some of the ones who think they don't.

What about the extreme circumstances where you are just doomed? Those are totally possible. They get swept under the rug? Unconscious (or conscious) denial? Or, "gee I sure hope that doesn't happen..." <-- 'prayer'

We are all, each and every one of us, doomed. Swallow it and enjoy the life you have while it lasts. That's all there is and you had better value it while you have it and not have candy colored dreams of what won't come.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2009, 7:01 am

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Frank Herbert, Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear, "Dune"

A useful sentiment.

ruveyn

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2009, 7:35 am

ruveyn wrote:
Nowadays religion has nothing whatsoever to offer to the physical sciences.

This is particularly true for religions which take their holy books literally.

ruveyn

Not completely. The study of religions and the reason why mankind(NTs) believe in them. Religions are consistent with evolutionary psychology. Religions are a collection of servival traits, many of them are still relevent today.

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2009, 7:41 am

Aspie_Chav wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Nowadays religion has nothing whatsoever to offer to the physical sciences.

This is particularly true for religions which take their holy books literally.

ruveyn

Not completely. The study of religions and the reason why mankind(NTs) believe in them. Religions are consistent with evolutionary psychology. Religions are a collection of servival traits, many of them are still relevent today.

Could you elaborate on this?

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2009, 7:45 am

ruveyn wrote:
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Frank Herbert, Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear, "Dune"

A useful sentiment.

ruveyn

Fear is a servival trait. When you study animals in nature you will realise this. Image

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2009, 7:47 am

Aspie_Chav wrote:

Not completely. The study of religions and the reason why mankind(NTs) believe in them. Religions are consistent with evolutionary psychology. Religions are a collection of survival traits, many of them are still relevant today.

Really? Like killing infidels? Is that a fact?

ruveyn

Plotinus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Sep 2009, 7:11 am

'We are not human beings with a spiritual experience, but spiritual beings with a human experience'. Gurdjieff

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 8:14 am

Faith, hope, and life topic

Some have faith in science and some have faith in religion.

Some people just have hope.

The universe ever expands, whether we like it or not.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 10:30 am

Plotinus wrote:
'We are not human beings with a spiritual experience, but spiritual beings with a human experience'. Gurdjieff

Since Gurdjieff is dead I can understand his point of view. I'm still a very human being with no spiritual experiences.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 10:35 am

Sand wrote:

We are all, each and every one of us, doomed. Swallow it and enjoy the life you have while it lasts. That's all there is and you had better value it while you have it and not have candy colored dreams of what won't come.

Eat when you are hungry, and drink when you are dry.
Live every day, till the day that you die.
Love when you can, and hate if you must
The day of your death, is the day you can trust.

ruveyn

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 10:49 am

Speaking of religion and science working together:

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/press_re ... 11_06.html

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 3:14 pm

A sensible person will take all possible precautions before undertaking any dangerous procedure (such as, to cite one of the examples above, starting up a nuclear reactor). Once those precautions have been taken, however, I see no problem with tossing in a prayer or three to Whomever you think might be listening, from Jehovah to the Flying Spaghetti Monster - if you're right, you've called in an extra level of protection, as it were, and if you're wrong, no harm has been done...

Oh, by the way, ruveyn, "killing of infidels" is hardly the only thing that any religion has brought the world. (In fact, the attitude seems to be restricted to the Abrahamic faiths, although only certain fundamentalist branches of Christianity and Islam exhibit it these days.)

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 5:12 pm

DeaconBlues wrote:
(In fact, the attitude seems to be restricted to the Abrahamic faiths, although only certain fundamentalist branches of Christianity and Islam exhibit it these days.)

There's plenty buddhists that kill infidels too.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

EC
Toucan
Toucan

09 Sep 2009, 5:30 pm

Religion cannot co-exist with science. Theists can try to rationalize and say, well of course evolution happened - God did it. This argument is called God of the Gaps, because wherever there is a gap in human knowledge, it can be filled with God. For example, 2000 years ago in Scandinavia, people believed that whenever thunder roared above their heads, it was Thor's doing; Thor was angry, and was pounding his hammer in the sky. Now of course we know that thunder is a sonic shockwave produced by lightning.

Saying that religion is compatible with science is a lie; religion actively attempts to destroy the influence of science, sabotage science itself, and wants nothing more than the total abolition of science and the instatement of theocracy. To an arm-chair theist, what I'm saying most likely sounds offensive, but whoever pushes this nonsense about science being compatible with its mortal enemy should really read the bible.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 6:15 pm

EC wrote:

Saying that religion is compatible with science is a lie; religion actively attempts to destroy the influence of science, sabotage science itself, and wants nothing more than the total abolition of science and the instatement of theocracy. To an arm-chair theist, what I'm saying most likely sounds offensive, but whoever pushes this nonsense about science being compatible with its mortal enemy should really read the bible.

Amen

ruveyn

number5
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 9:21 pm

EC wrote:
Religion cannot co-exist with science. Theists can try to rationalize and say, well of course evolution happened - God did it. This argument is called God of the Gaps, because wherever there is a gap in human knowledge, it can be filled with God. For example, 2000 years ago in Scandinavia, people believed that whenever thunder roared above their heads, it was Thor's doing; Thor was angry, and was pounding his hammer in the sky. Now of course we know that thunder is a sonic shockwave produced by lightning.

Agreed. All we really need to do is look at religous trends. People were generally more religious when more gaps were present. Now that the gaps are closing, people either accept the science and forfeit some (or all) aspects of their religion, or they cling harder to religion by embracing their God and rejecting the scientifically filled gap. If you believe in virgin birth, then you are rejecting science in favor of religion.