Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 12:21 pm

Many claim here that the real gender ratio of AS is 1:1 and that's the official gender ratio difference (~4:1) of AS is only due to the fact that girls are more expected to behave in a way in society that make their odd behavior less likely to be noticed by parents. "So many aspie girls grow unnoticeable" , there are more "hidden aspies girls than guys" , I keep hearing similar stuff.

I checked my local autism center , and even here there are more autistic boys than girls. So the difference is not related to culture.

The wiki entry about this matter reads:

Quote:
Boys are at higher risk for ASD than girls. The sex ratio averages 4.3:1 and is greatly modified by cognitive impairment: it may be close to 2:1 with mental retardation and more than 5.5:1 without.[8] Although the evidence does not implicate any single pregnancy-related risk factor as a cause of autism, the risk of autism is associated with advanced age in either parent, and with diabetes, bleeding, and use of psychiatric drugs in the mother during pregnancy.[150] Most professionals believe that race, ethnicity, and socioeconomic background do not affect the occurrence of autism

The theory of 1:1 gender ratio and the 'there more hidden aspie girls" is very flawed for the following reasons:

1- There are are more boys with LFA than girls, parents might not notice AS in children, but it's impossible to not notice LFA/classic/severe autism in their children, so it is very unlikely to have 'hidden severe autistic girls". You people here claim that AS and Autism are on the same ASD spectrum , if so ,then why they won't have similar gender ratios?

2- Not sure about the west' society, but at least where I live, girls are more expected to be social , earlier expected to be mature, more expected how to converse and more expected to know "how to be behave correctly". Even if shyness is more expected from girls, shyness does not equate social ineptness at all. All those expectations should make aspie girls more noticeable than any other , yet the ratio is about the same.

3- AS diagnosis is all based on behaviors, AS and autism might be related to many genes, people who claim that autism is not related to sex chromosomes is talking all empty theories, there's no known genetic cause for autism yet.

4- Gender ratio on WP is not representative at all because .... well ... this is a different story....

Last edited by LePetitPrince on 01 Sep 2009, 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

duke666
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Sep 2009, 12:39 pm

The one thing that is certain is that our ignorance far exceeds our knowledge at this point.

Tony Attwood finds a 4:1 M:F ratio in children but 2:1 in adults, and makes some guesses about why. Assuming there is some gender bias, a 1:1 ratio is plausible.

There are certainly gender-based neurological differences, and most Asperger's research has been done on boys, so some girls may have patterns that have not been identified yet.

Your comment about the LFA ratio is very interesting.

But my question is: Why does it matter if the ratio is 1:1 or 4:1?

-The Madness of King George

Marsian
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Sep 2009, 12:43 pm

I think you're right, that AS is more prevalent in boys.

What is the ratio on WP?

Although, I do think it's easier for girls to slip through the net because we fake it better.

People often accuse me of being shy.

But, I still make friends because certain types of people are kind of magnetised to my unusualness!

AS is very different in girls.

:)

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 12:45 pm

Boys are generally more vulnerable to mental retardation, so a higher incidence of LFA among boys is expected. That does not mean that non-retarded AS/HFAs have a skewed gender ratio.

As for what Wikipedia says about ASCs, I couldn't care less. The article has been taken over by extremists that view ASCs only as a disorder.

Ralou
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Sep 2009, 12:51 pm

1- There are are more boys with LFA than girls, parents might not notice AS in children, but it's impossible to not notice LFA/classic/severe autism in their children, so it is very unlikely to have 'hidden severe autistic girls". You people here claim that AS and Autism are on the same ASD spectrum , if so ,then why they won't have similar gender ratios?

This one seems like the clincher, unless a girl in an institution is more likely to be diagnosed with some form of schizophrenia or retardation while a boy with the same symptoms is more likely to be diagnosed as autistic.

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 1:18 pm

duke666 wrote:

But my question is: Why does it matter if the ratio is 1:1 or 4:1?

It never mattered to me but seem that it matters to many here, each time I (or someone else) mention the gender ratio in some debate, a dozen of users , pop-up and claim that this ratio is false and that AS exist equally among guys and girls.
It's very weird ,like as if the official gender ratio is somewhat offensive to them.

You'll notice that sooner or later.

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 1:53 pm

rdos wrote:
Boys are generally more vulnerable to mental retardation, so a higher incidence of LFA among boys is expected. That does not mean that non-retarded AS/HFAs have a skewed gender ratio.

As for what Wikipedia says about ASCs, I couldn't care less. The article has been taken over by extremists that view ASCs only as a disorder.

We need evidences Mr. extremist_about_the_Neanderthal theory.

Evidence?

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 1:54 pm

Well, following a bit of a genetic thing, males have the XY chromosome set, females are XX. Its been proven in genetics that that vast majority of conditions follow the X chromosome. Thats why its more prevalent in males since we only have the 1 X. Females wont usually show a condition unless its X dominant or X recessive. So, from this point of view, Autism is likely an X recessive trait (also called X - Linked or Sex Linked). This would mean that if a woman's family has a history of the condition (and she happens to have 1 X-recessive Autism trait) and she marries and has children with an autistic male, there is a 50% chance that a daughter will have autism, and the same chance for son.

__|_X_|_X_|
X | XX | XX |
Y | XY | XY |

Just use this basic display, marking the Autism trait to an X only (denote as Xr or Xa, etc.). What you will see is that a woman without the trait, and a father who has it: Sons will not inherit the trait, but daughters will become carriers. If a mother has the condition (say she's XaXa) and a father who isnt: Sons have a 100% chance of autism, but daughters become carriers. Now, i support this idea, but something came to me. There is an autistic woman (Liane Holliday Willey, also an Aspie and author of "Pretending to be Normal") who has a son and twin daughters. The son and the first twin daughter are fine, but the other twin has the condition. With this, and its quite possible, the recessive trait responsible for autism could be environmentally triggered, since the second twin had a difficult birth. With that in mind, i think that the autism spectrum is our evolutionary defense to prevent or decrease the chances of severe mental handicaps early in life/development. With that in mind, you could praise your "condition" for saving your life. Thoughts, or other observations?

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 1:55 pm

Ralou wrote:

This one seems like the clincher, unless a girl in an institution is more likely to be diagnosed with some form of schizophrenia or retardation while a boy with the same symptoms is more likely to be diagnosed as autistic.

My daughter was diagnosed with great confidence as LFA. The clinicians didn't doubt it for a minute. While I waited for this several hour procedure to take place, I talked with other parents. Most had boys, a couple had girls. I think LPP is right. Clinicians don't have the slightest doubt when asked to diagnose an LFA girl. They don't get confused or misled and go to other diagnoses. They have great confidence they are right. And there are more LFA boys than girls. (For the record, LFA doesn't equate to being in an institution. Every LFA child in that place was being raised at home. And a good thing too. I think the dismal prognosis for LFA that is on record is in part a side effect of institutionalization.)

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 2:02 pm

PlatedDrake wrote:
Well, following a bit of a genetic thing, males have the XY chromosome set, females are XX. Its been proven in genetics that that vast majority of conditions follow the X chromosome. Thats why its more prevalent in males since we only have the 1 X. Females wont usually show a condition unless its X dominant or X recessive. So, from this point of view, Autism is likely an X recessive trait (also called X - Linked or Sex Linked). This would mean that if a woman's family has a history of the condition (and she happens to have 1 X-recessive Autism trait) and she marries and has children with an autistic male, there is a 50% chance that a daughter will have autism, and the same chance for son.

__|_X_|_X_|
X | XX | XX |
Y | XY | XY |

Just use this basic display, marking the Autism trait to an X only (denote as Xr or Xa, etc.). What you will see is that a woman without the trait, and a father who has it: Sons will not inherit the trait, but daughters will become carriers. If a mother has the condition (say she's XaXa) and a father who isnt: Sons have a 100% chance of autism, but daughters become carriers. Now, i support this idea, but something came to me. There is an autistic woman (Liane Holliday Willey, also an Aspie and author of "Pretending to be Normal") who has a son and twin daughters. The son and the first twin daughter are fine, but the other twin has the condition. With this, and its quite possible, the recessive trait responsible for autism could be environmentally triggered, since the second twin had a difficult birth. With that in mind, i think that the autism spectrum is our evolutionary defense to prevent or decrease the chances of severe mental handicaps early in life/development. With that in mind, you could praise your "condition" for saving your life. Thoughts, or other observations?

^^ identical twins are genetically identical, if autism is a genetic condition then both twins must have it. I read about the twins and autism experiment, it doesn't support the genetic theory of autism. I strongly believe that it's more environmental-related, maybe the cause can be genetic but environmentally-triggered rather than inherited thing or maybe both.

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 2:06 pm

The diagnosis of autism with girls could be shifted toward other disabilities... maybe in girls it would be more borderline or other diagnoses?

And the genetic pattern is probably not an easy one.
Especially when you take something like 'epigenetics' into the picture (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epigenetics)

But you made an interesting point LPP.

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 2:09 pm

I think going to wikipedia as a source is ill-advised no matter what the topic.

since autism has been considered a male disease, it wouldn't surprise me at all if a lot of LFA girls were mis-dx'd, but the bottom line is we just don't know because there's not enough data.

speaking of gender-based diseases, why have women always been dx'd with hysteria more often than men? my personal opinion is that it was and is convenient to diagnose someone as having a neurosis than as having a neurological disorder if they don't present as having something familiar. if girls present differently than the studies on boys indicate, it's very likely they'll be given a different dx and might live with it most of their lives.

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 2:14 pm

Janissy wrote:
Ralou wrote:

My daughter was diagnosed with great confidence as LFA. The clinicians didn't doubt it for a minute. While I waited for this several hour procedure to take place, I talked with other parents. Most had boys, a couple had girls. I think LPP is right. Clinicians don't have the slightest doubt when asked to diagnose an LFA girl. They don't get confused or misled and go to other diagnoses. They have great confidence they are right. And there are more LFA boys than girls. (For the record, LFA doesn't equate to being in an institution. Every LFA child in that place was being raised at home. And a good thing too. I think the dismal prognosis for LFA that is on record is in part a side effect of institutionalization.)

Janissy's entry says it all , clinicians can't mistake a LFA girl with a "Just typical shy girl" or "just a girl with retardation". Classic autism symptoms are very very obvious.

It's funny how the fact of the gender ratio difference was always countered by users on this forum (mostly by female users : "no there as many aspie girls as aspie guys" , "aspie girls are more likely to be wrongfully diagnosed or not be noticed" ...etc etc

If AS is on ASD spectrum then the sex ratios of the 2 conditions should be similar.

If there are as many Aspie girls as aspie guys then AS is not on ASD, if this is true then AS belongs to nothing , it's a fake disorder.

Aoi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 2:15 pm

The only conditions that follow a simple inheritance pattern are genetically simple. For instance, hemophilia. A condition such as AS that likely has a locus of genes involved and may be affected by epigenetic factors as well will not follow a simple inheritance pattern.

In other words, one of a pair of identical twins can have autism and the other not, as also happens with conditions like schizophrenia.

The sex ratio for AS and classical autism should not be surprising. Few if any neurological or psychiatric conditions show a simple 1:1 ratio. From personality disorders (anti-social personality disorder is predominantly found in males, borderline personality disorder in females) to anxiety disorders (anorexia nervosa mostly found in women) to purely neurological conditions such as Tourettes (more common in boys), the ratio is not 1:1. Whether the X chromosome, hormones and the effects they have on neurology and brain formation, or other factors are at work remains to be discovered.

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 2:19 pm

bhetti wrote:
speaking of gender-based diseases, why have women always been dx'd with hysteria more often than men? my personal opinion is that it was and is convenient to diagnose someone as having a neurosis than as having a neurological disorder if they don't present as having something familiar. if girls present differently than the studies on boys indicate, it's very likely they'll be given a different dx and might live with it most of their lives.

Hysteria is not a recognized disorder, it's an umbrella of unknown conditions.

The female hysteria is a pseudo-scientific debunked theory: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_hysteria

Last edited by LePetitPrince on 01 Sep 2009, 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 2:19 pm

Personally, I think the vaste majority of the Aspie girls are (mis)diagnosed with social phobia instead. This is both because social phobia is heavily correlated to ASCs and because we see a skewed gender ratio in the opposite direction for social phobia.