Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 1:07 pm

If Aum Shinrikyo prevailed then they would be the dominated religion in Japan and maybe more , like Mohammad did in the region.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVnscHsPfR4[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ3prE4sG3E&feature=related[/youtube]

Too bad that there was no army powerful enough to stop Mohammad's army back then.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2009, 4:57 pm

So they grow through terror?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

EC
Toucan
Toucan

19 Sep 2009, 5:23 pm

Seems like it. Isn't religion wonderful?

Bozewani
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Sep 2009, 12:24 pm

Religion is created very simply.

Exploiting the peer pressure mentality of NTs (most Aspies I know are atheists) and giving them what they want. Being an angel and then, say

"I fed your child for the last year, give me money and join my religion".

That's all.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2009, 12:32 pm

Bozewani wrote:

Exploiting the peer pressure mentality of NTs (most Aspies I know are atheists) and giving them what they want. Being an angel and then, say

That's all.

Although there are more atheists here than elsewhere I have visited there is no dearth of religious people on this site.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2009, 12:49 pm

It could happen just as it did with the Mormons, who's history is filled with murders and other scandals.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2009, 1:57 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
So they grow through terror?

Either that or by king's decree...in which case you face death for being a heretic....which is about the same as terrorism.

Or by the Inquisition.

/when are the atheists gonna take some initiative??? :(

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2009, 7:02 am

Bozewani wrote:

That's all.

Argument from Anecdote noted.

Quite frankly, I'm tired of your posts decreeing that aspies are some kind of übermenschen.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2009, 7:47 am

Bozewani wrote:

That's all.

Wrong. You are talking about religions that proselytize. Judaism, for example. does not do so. Some religions grow like fungus. Some by traditional practice.

ruveyn

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2009, 10:06 am

ruveyn wrote:
Judaism, for example. does not do so.

One of things I always loved about it. And the culture....not to mention all of the culture that it's given America, at large. The "American" classical sound comes from American Jewish composers Copland and Gershwin. Not to mention Bob Dylan and Woody Allen and Jon Stewart.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2009, 12:23 pm

Although, I thought that Judaism did proselytize initially but stopped doing so back in Roman times.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2009, 12:30 pm

Jono wrote:
Although, I thought that Judaism did proselytize initially but stopped doing so back in Roman times.

2000 years is quite a while.

ruveyn

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2009, 12:32 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Jono wrote:

2000 years is quite a while.

ruveyn

Yeah...I'd consider it common policy if it's been in place for 2000 years.... :lol:

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2009, 2:33 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Bozewani wrote:

That's all.

Wrong. You are talking about religions that proselytize. Judaism, for example. does not do so. Some religions grow like fungus. Some by traditional practice.

ruveyn

Judaism is different, because it's ethnocentric. Jews aren't really seeking to convert people...

Khan_Sama
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2009, 8:45 pm

In Mizoram (small state in North East India), they are. many Mizo people believe that they are descended from one of the lost tribes of Israel, as their folk tales bear a lot of similarity with Judaism. Hence, there's a lot of mass conversion to Judaism going on there. Those who do convert are immediately allowed to settle in Israel due to the law of return. They usually end up in the west bank's Jewish settlements.

So don't tell me that Jews don't seek to proselytise. There are always exceptions to the rule.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bnei_Menashe

0hanrahan
Raven
Raven

27 Sep 2009, 7:53 am

Very sensationalist.

The Jews and Christians were actually terrorized by others for centuries. King Herod was an arab put in to power by the Romans.
I have never heard of mad Buddhists going on suicide bomb missions.

The Islamic empire began colonialism and religious imperialism long before anyone. Once Mohammed mobilized everyone they began conquering in the late 600s AD and did not stop for almost 1000 years.

Read this for some more perspective on how the Islamic empire was forcing things to happen way before the middle ages:
http://answering-islam.org/Authors/Sten ... des.01.htm