Page 6 of 6 [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

mysteriouslyabsent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jul 2006, 6:23 pm

Bland wrote:
I think everyone loosens up when they drink and that's why so many people like to go to the bars: to loosen up and socialize. I hate bars. I hate socializing. I drink alone. Wine tastes great with grilled meat. I love strong flavors. It takes quite a bit of alcohol to affect me. I have been drunk twice in my life and that was two times too many! I hate feeling disoriented or not in control of myself. I do not think that drugs or alcohol of any kind should take the place of healthful living, natural alternatives, or remediation. But if all else fails.........(referring to drugs of the legal kind, of course!)

I'm exactly the same, I avoid taking most drugs (even legal ones). I drink alcohol fairly regularly, but usually only a single beer or red wine with food because it goes well together and it helps keep up my alcohol tolerence for those odd occaisions I end up drinking more than usual at a work do, party or whatever. If I was told I could never drink again it wouldn't bother me in the slightest, though a nice cold beer on a hot day is particularly nice. But too much makes me feel ill so I rarely overindulge.

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2006, 11:35 am

I would be upset if I were denied my daily glass of wine! It is one of life's simple pleasures that I really enjoy!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2006, 5:18 pm

I might have some Gin, tonight. I haven't had any, in a Month and I've only had it twice, Last Month.

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2006, 8:43 pm

I like mine with a twist of lime.

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2006, 8:55 pm

Why do you drink when you get hang overs?

gsilver
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2006, 10:06 pm

I have not had a perceptible hangover.

...but then again, I never drink enough to get drunk.

Hunter
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jul 2006, 10:06 pm

I drink, but I don't get hangovers. At least not yet anyway. :wink:

a1kemi
Raven
Raven

04 Jul 2006, 12:22 am

The closest thing I get to a hangover is slightly worsened AS the next day. I try to help that with hot coco with vanilla and honey, then eat some fish and vegemite toast (not together) when my stomach can handle it. Actually, I got my hands on some theanine recently and it does the trick but it doesn't work for long and causes REALY weird and vivid dreams at night.

Or there was that time I downed a bottle of vodka within two hours on an empty stomach. I was sick for three days. That was the only hangover I've ever had.

I realise alcohol can ruin lives and I've seen it turn people effectively evil. The long-term effects I've seen in older people are also scary. Apparently both drinking and smoking increase the risk of cancer by 400 times compares to doing neither. But I quit smoking within 2 years of starting and my lungs actually purged the tar when I stopped. For about a month I would wake up in the morning with cigarette tar on the roof of my mouth (is that normally possible?). And alcohol doesn't effect me the same as other people. As far as health and physiology are concerned, I'm a bit of a freak.

I'm sure most Aspies can handle the drink and know their limits. Besides a constant urge to self-medicate, I've never been addicted to either cigarettes or alcohol. I went with half a pack of cigarettes in my pocket for months without feeling like having a smoke so I just threw it out and never smoked again. How many smokers can do that? It's the same with alcohol so I doubt it will ruin my life. I have a feeling most Aspies would be the same and would have to actually try to get addicted if they wanted to for some weird reason.

Bottoms up to good health :D

muchacha
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jul 2006, 10:12 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I might have some Gin, tonight. I haven't had any, in a Month and I've only had it twice, Last Month.

Gin and tonic...now that's something I've been known to get feral on. I probably should order it with a dash of bromide to counteract the effect that it has on me... :oops: :wink: :twisted: