Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Plunk
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Sep 2009, 3:09 pm

Hello, I'm 20, I'm French and I have Asperger's syndrome.

I have a relatively slight form of the syndrome compared to other people around here, but it still hinders me when it comes to social relationships.
I'm slowly learning how to deal with the condition, I can say that I'm in a far better situation than some years ago, during my adolescence. I've learnt a lot about myself and how I and other people work during all these years; after lots of hard times at school I've finally found a place where I felt good and I graduated this year (well... the French equivalent of graduating, getting the bac, look for it on Wikipedia), and next Monday I'll start studies in English at college (there again, the French equivalent of college, what we call "université").
However, even though I can now qualify a few people people as friends, I still have a lot of work regarding social relationships, going out with friends, meeting other people... to finally be somehow happy, and I figured out I could hang around here to seek some help.

During my spare time, when I'm not trying to socialize (it's hard for me, of course), I spend an unhealthy amount of time on the Internet or listening/playing music (I play the electric guitar, I suppose my tastes are varied but I prefer all sorts of dreamy, atmospheric rock or metal with 8-minutes-long songs and huge dynamic shifts).

See ya! :wink:

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 3:14 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

01 Sep 2009, 3:58 pm

To WrongPlanet!! !Image

TheDuck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Sep 2009, 4:01 pm

Je te souhaite la bienvenue !

Interlude
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Sep 2009, 4:07 pm

Hey, welcome! I hope that indeed, you will find a couple answers on here as far as your social side is concerned. :)

Congratulations for graduating! Basically, bac is A-levels, and many countries (as Denmark) use "university" for "college" too. Never quite understood what the difference is in english. ^^
Oh and I am curious ; where exactly in France are you from?

gassy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Sep 2009, 5:44 pm

Interlude wrote:
Hey, welcome! I hope that indeed, you will find a couple answers on here as far as your social side is concerned. :)

Congratulations for graduating! Basically, bac is A-levels, and many countries (as Denmark) use "university" for "college" too. Never quite understood what the difference is in english. ^^
Oh and I am curious ; where exactly in France are you from?

At least where i live, college (or 6 form college) is regarded as where you do your A levels usually between the ages of 16-18. And university is where you study for your degree. In the USA it is different but i'm not entirely certain how so.

I have a friend from Bordeaux who studied for a year over here as part of his degree and he thoroughly enjoyed it, and i very much hope you do too.

I know it varies from university to university, but he (like all the other international students) were given help with learning about English customs etc, which he found very useful.

Maddino87
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Sep 2009, 6:50 pm

Bienvenue! Je viens d'une famille Suisse et je parle Francais, mais ce n'est plus mon meilleur parce que je parle la plupart du temps anglais. You're pretty much like me in tastes of music and on socializing in college. I wish I could play the guitar...
What are you studying exactly?

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 9:50 pm

Hello, and welcome to the Wrong Planet neighborhood, Plunk.