Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

YMonkey
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Sep 2009, 10:35 pm

Got a odd question: How many out there hates wearing wrist watches?

I have an AS friend who doesn't like wear a watch, but use his phone to tell time. I wonder if it's coincidence or something to do with sensitivity or something related of AS.

southwestforests
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 11:01 pm

got one here - been keeping wristwatch in my pocket for, oh, since about 1983.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 11:05 pm

I don't like metal on my skin, so watches with metal bands I find intolerable. But with a fabric or leather band I can tolerate the metal watch back enough to wear. I still don't like it though, but I have a lousy sense of time and need to check the time a lot.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 11:18 pm

I think using the phone as a replacement for a wristwatch is a global phenomenon.

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2009, 12:09 am

No. I like knowing the time. If i don't have it on my arm, i end up having to search for a clock.. When i first learned to "tell time" as a little kid my grandmother bought me a watch that i wore for years, so that kind of got me used to having something on my arm and wanting to look at the time. I was really picky with what clothes i found comfortable back then(especially with underwear and pants), but the watch wasn't something i ever really gave a second thought to. It gave me something to fiddle with, too. Plus, now it gives me something extra to look at in those awkward moments when someone's looking at me and i don't want to look back so i try to find anything else too look at(and then it just looks like i'm checking the time, even if i already know the time). And i don't carry a cell phone with me, because i hate talking on phones.

anxiety25
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2009, 1:53 am

I think it's an NT thing too... effects both sides equally. Some people just cannot adjust if they haven't gotten used to wearing something like that over time.

I know women who refuse to wear their wedding bands simply because it's "too weird" and they cannot get used to it.

If I put on my watch, it drives me nuts for the first few weeks, or any piece of jewelry for that matter, and finally I'll get used to it and then cannot leave without it.

"I enjoyed the meetings, too. It was like having friends." -Luna Lovegood

duke666
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Sep 2009, 1:57 am

A wristwatch with a stainless steel band used to be my favorite public stim. It felt good, and made a cool rattling sound.

I still wear one in the wilderness (with a compass and altimeter) and I like it, but stopped wearing one every day when I got a cell phone (which I never answer <grin>).

-The Madness of King George

anxiety25
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2009, 2:00 am

duke666 wrote:

I still wear one in the wilderness (with a compass and altimeter) and I like it, but stopped wearing one every day when I got a cell phone (which I never answer <grin>).

ha-too funny. I have a cell phone that I let run out of minutes and keep it in my purse to check the time... now if only I could bother to grab my purse every time I leave the house. I try to leave with as little as possible usually, lol.

"I enjoyed the meetings, too. It was like having friends." -Luna Lovegood

Nephesh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Sep 2009, 2:24 am

I haven't worn a watch in many years. The metal back on the watch was too irritating on my skin. And if I paid the extra to get a leather band (the kind that goes under the watch as well) then my skin got sweaty and I didn't like that either.

I've developed fairly good time sense. 60% of the time my guess on what time it is come within 15 minutes of accurate. 30% of the time I'm within 45 minutes. The other 10% .... um well, ah, I had my mind on something else, I was distracted by something, etc etc.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2009, 3:08 am

I hate not wearing my watch.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2009, 6:49 am

I didn't wear a watch for years because the sensory experience made it intolerable to have it on for more than a few minutes.

About two years ago however, I definitely wanted a watch which seemed to me like a reasonable idea, because not only do all of my friends have one (as well as other people who have one too), but also because I never knew the time before. I only wear those with a pure leather band, because metal just wouldn't work for my sensory issues. I still feel it all the time, but to know the time has become so essential to all areas of my life that I try to bear it. I like how I know the time of everything and everyone now.

A mobile bothers me too much, I do not like to be called wherever I am and I'd have to remember taking it with me in an extra bag and would have to pay attention that it isn't on silent so that people may not get worked up about that I do not answer their calls because it doesn't ring. Anyway, putting on my watch has also already become a routine which means I cannot possibly leave it off when I would usually wear it.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2009, 7:29 am

YMonkey wrote:
Got a odd question: How many out there hates wearing wrist watches?

I have an AS friend who doesn't like wear a watch, but use his phone to tell time. I wonder if it's coincidence or something to do with sensitivity or something related of AS.

I find that the watchband chafes my wrist. So I keep my watch in my pocket. It has nothing to do with being or not being an Aspie.

ruveyn

C-57D
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Sep 2009, 4:18 pm

I like having a watch. I prefer pocketwatches for style, but tend to have a wristwatch for practicality. I need any watch I wear to be light, and I avoid synthetic (plastic/nylon) bands because they make my wrist itch and sweat.

About the "light" thing... I love the look of aviator's chronographs, with the big metal bracelets and such. But they are distractingly, sometimes uncomfortably, heavy. My current watch is a very slim Skagen, which was a gift, and it's perfect. I sometimes (if I'm doing a lot of work with my hands, especially things like cooking or cleaning, or when I'm in the office) take my watch off so it doesn't chafe me or catch on things, though. If I'm at work and take my watch off, I leave it next to my keyboard, where I can see it.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2009, 5:09 pm

I don't like wearing a watch, I haven't worn one for many years. Don't like the feel of it. When I did wear one, it was on the "wrong" arm, not sure why; I wasn't being deliberately contrary, just always wore it that way.

The year is still young.

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2009, 5:12 pm

I used to have a wrist watch. Problem was, I couldn't help looking at it all the time. I was often asked if I was in a rush to something, and I often were. Now I don't wear a wrist watch, and use my cell phone instead. It's done wonders to reduce my stress. I also disliked that lack of symmetry than wrist watches bring.

I still like watching clocks. Digital clocks are worse than regular ones, since I often look at clocks a lot to see a desired pattern, like if the clock says 15:14 I've got to watch it until it says 15:15, and then I have to avoid looking at the clock. Suffice to say, it's been much better not having a clock literally at hand.

CloudWalker
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2009, 5:13 pm

I don't like it either. I used to wear it on my belt loop when I was younger. I now use my mobile to tell time. It also double as an organizer.