Average I guess 13%  13%  [ 7 ]
They shun me 23%  23%  [ 12 ]
I dunno 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 53

duke666
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Sep 2009, 11:13 pm

My partner showed an article about mosquito bite research. They found that certain chemicals associated with high stress repel mosquitoes.

Mosquitoes avoid me, but love him to death <grin>. What's kinda funny is that he's the one who seems stressed out in nature, while I'm relaxed and in my element. But I probably have an elevated background anxiety level.

So I wondered if aspies in general are not bothered by mosquitoes as much.

-The Madness of King George

anxiety25
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 11:53 pm

It's funny, my boyfriend says he's taking me and my kiddos along with him if we ever go camping for sure... so that the mosquitoes will leave him alone. It doesn't seem to matter how stressed out/anxious any of us are-I'll be pacing back and forth, my son will start hyperfocusing around groups of people and talking extensively around one particular thing but only to me to gain comfort, and my daughter, well, she's always been a people person and pretty relaxed, so I don't think she would count in this theory.

I'm always the one rubbing benedryl all over myself by the end of the night... the one going through a can of bug spray when we go to my mom's to visit (she lives in the country... loads of the buggers there), as well as the rest of my family.

I've also heard that it can be tied to diet as well... but don't know where any research for it is. Oh,there it is...

Female mosquitoes hunt their blood host by detecting carbon dioxide (CO2) and 1-octen-3-ol from a distance.

"I enjoyed the meetings, too. It was like having friends." -Luna Lovegood

Last edited by anxiety25 on 02 Sep 2009, 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

anxiety25
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 11:55 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1-Octen-3-ol

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Sep 2009, 12:00 am

I can't walk the short distance to my mailbox, without being bitten several times! :x

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2009, 12:00 am

Mosquitos love me. When i was a kid i got a ton of bites.. i pretty much always looked like i had chicken pox during the summer, 'cause of all the mosquito bites(even though i never actually got the chicken pox). Now i don't get as many, probably due to the fact that i don't go outside very much and usually wear long pants.. But a few still manage to get me somehow if i ever walk through the grass or anything. Those are the only bugs that ever bite me though, as far as i know.. Never been stung by a bee or wasp, no spider bites, etc.

anxiety25
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2009, 12:02 am

ColdBlooded wrote:
Mosquitos love me. When i was a kid i got a ton of bites.. i pretty much always looked like i had chicken pox during the summer, 'cause of all the mosquito bites(even though i never actually got the chicken pox).

argh I know that feeling! I've had them bite me on the forehead, between the fingers, between my toes... soooo aggravating.

tarepanda
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Sep 2009, 12:58 am

I get bitten by them like crazy! They manage to get under my clothes, too. I hate them! :evil:

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2009, 10:57 am

tarepanda wrote:
I get bitten by them like crazy! They manage to get under my clothes, too. I hate them! :evil:

This is also my problem, grrr!! !

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2009, 11:20 am

It can partially be a blood sugar thing, too, I think. That's why they call the sugary powdered fake kool-aid stuff "bug juice" :P
I noticed that after losing weight, I got bit way less.

tarepanda
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Sep 2009, 11:33 am

Maggiedoll wrote:
It can partially be a blood sugar thing, too, I think. That's why they call the sugary powdered fake kool-aid stuff "bug juice" :P
I noticed that after losing weight, I got bit way less.

Interesting theory. I have blood sugar problems... hmmm? :?

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2009, 11:49 am

Nope. Mosquitos love me. I could probably lose a pint of blood on a camping trip without bug spray. It's not just mosquitos either. Black flies, gnats, sand fleas, etc. - they all love me to death. I also used to swell up really bad as a kid.

Victor
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Sep 2009, 12:37 pm

I have never been stung by bees wasps or hornets, I am only rarely bitten by ticks mosquitoes and flies. As a general rule nature just tends to leave me alone. I like it better that way.

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2009, 12:45 pm

Any insect that sucks blood loves to bite me, and my autistic son. Him, probably even more than me. We're always covered in bites. My other autistic son (who is more anxious than probably all my family put together) and NT daughter get bit about average. My NT husband, hardly ever, and he works outside.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2009, 1:51 pm

Bugs like to bite the heck out of me :x

What makes it worse is that I can't stand the feeling of bug spray on my skin, I can't stand the smell of it, and it's so strong that I can taste it and have to spit it out for a while :x :x :x

So I just suffer and end up with lots of nice bug bite scars in the fall :roll:

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Sep 2009, 2:02 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Bugs like to bite the heck out of me :x

What makes it worse is that I can't stand the feeling of bug spray on my skin, I can't stand the smell of it, and it's so strong that I can taste it and have to spit it out for a while :x :x :x

So I just suffer and end up with lots of nice bug bite scars in the fall :roll:

I can't stand that stuff, either. And I scar very easily, so that my legs look hideous by September. :(

dadsgotas
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Sep 2009, 3:10 pm

I don't get bitten, even when others around me are. Doesn't look like an AS thing, so it must be simple virtue.