Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Roybertito
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jan 2006, 1:09 am

w00t!

I'm finally getting my own computer!

One that DOESN'T run Windows 95 on a Pentium 1!

*blows kazoo*

What is it, you ask?

I'm buying it with my own money, by the way...

AN iBOOK! *blows 2 kazoos*

Sexy little beast... and I'm buying it with money from my job at a waterpark...

This summer... Roybertito gets a Mac.

"What's ironic is the rest of my family hates Macs, but I ADORE Mac computers, and I'm sad we don't have one, but now, I'm getting my own, personal, portable Mac! With wi-fi! ^_^"

alex
Developer
Developer

30 Jan 2006, 1:12 am

macs kick ass. I heard that they were coming out with faster ibooks soon so you might wanna wait. The MacBookPro, for instance, has already been converted to Intel and has some pretty fancy bells and whistles.

MindOfOrderedChaos
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2006, 1:15 am

I don't know about the idea of buy a mac persnally considering the PPC G3's and G4 chips are going to be completely out of date within 2 years and are being replaced pretty soon by Intel Macs. So another words you mac won't be compatable with any thing new with in 2 years time and im not only talking about games.

But that being said at least your not buying windows computer I think Mac OS X is a much better Operating System than Windows. Reliable, stable, easy to use some really cool features too.

Sounds good to me :)

alex
Developer
Developer

30 Jan 2006, 1:23 am

MindOfOrderedChaos wrote:
I don't know about the idea of buy a mac persnally considering the PPC G3's and G4 chips are going to be completely out of date within 2 years and are being replaced pretty soon by Intel Macs. So another words you mac won't be compatable with any thing new with in 2 years time and im not only talking about games.

Not really true. Especially considering the fact that everyone is shipping Universal Binaries and will consider doing so for quite some time. The next release of OS X will still be compatible with the PPC computers.

jman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2006, 6:44 am

Quote:
But that being said at least your not buying windows computer I think Mac OS X is a much better Operating System than Windows. Reliable, stable, easy to use some really cool features too.

...which is why I am looking forward to the release of Mac Os X86 which is a version of OS X that runs on pentium based chipsets. with that in mind I think mac will be the OS to replace windowson ALL computers, not linux.

MindOfOrderedChaos
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2006, 6:53 am

jman wrote:
Quote:

...which is why I am looking forward to the release of Mac Os X86 which is a version of OS X that runs on pentium based chipsets. with that in mind I think mac will be the OS to replace windowson ALL computers, not linux.

I think Mac is trying to make it so it can't be put on any intel computers execpt the ones made by Mac.

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2006, 8:25 am

alex wrote:
...so you might wanna wait.

But if you can buy it, it's out of date...

Well, not quite but very nearly.
I have a 25 year old SLR camera that is still wonderfuly efficient, but nine months ago I finally bit the bullet and went digital. That camera is already appreciably out-of-date, and I've barely learnt it yet. My two-year old computer now has software it can't run without an upgrade, as games manufacturers employ bigger and faster graphics.
(I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE GRAPHICS! (Sorry, that was a separate rant.))

I remember when 48k was a big computer, not a small picture file.
Oh dear, getting old.

Now, if only the universe has a pause button.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2006, 10:36 am

jman wrote:
Quote:

Mac OSX has unofficially already been running on x86,before Apples' PPC changeover announcement even IIRC.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

spacemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2006, 11:46 am

I just bought an ibook and so far I like it.
I am only frustrated by the lack of software, as I would like a good mapping program, but noone makes one.
I am also annoyed at the fact that I am going to have to purchase photoshop.
iphoto is a joke and the software bundled with my camera is only slightly more functional.
But I am so tired of windows, it's worth the hassle.

alex
Developer
Developer

30 Jan 2006, 11:54 am

spacemonkey wrote:
I just bought an ibook and so far I like it.
I am only frustrated by the lack of software, as I would like a good mapping program, but noone makes one.
I am also annoyed at the fact that I am going to have to purchase photoshop.
iphoto is a joke and the software bundled with my camera is only slightly more functional.
But I am so tired of windows, it's worth the hassle.

Google Earth is an awesome mapping program and it works on OS X. The GIMP does almost everything that photoshop does and its free. iPhoto isn't a joke. Windows doesn't come bundled with anything close to iPhoto. iPhoto isn't meant to do anything other than organize photos.

spacemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2006, 12:03 pm

You're right Alex, I have just been spoiled working with photoshop, and now when I open a photo I feel like my hands are tied. I had played around with linux back in the spring, and wasn't too impressed with gimp but maybe I'll give it another try. I think it might be better than what I'm using now.

I think I do recall hearing something about google's mapping now that you mention it.
Thanks for the tip, I'm gonna check it out.
I got a copy of route66 but it's from 2004 and compared to Delorme, (which doesnt support mac anymore), its very basic.

It seems that google earth requires you to be connected to the internet, correct me if I'm wrong.
What I need is something I can use on the road, from my hard drive.
The gps upgrade doesn't support mac either.
This market is wide open right now. I heard garmin is gonna release something later this year.

Roybertito
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jan 2006, 11:24 pm

^Nope, you don't need to be on the internet to use Google Earth. In fact, I've got it running in a seperate window right now. The only thing it needs the internet for is to download it and other packs, such as detailed outlooks on different places, like the Golden Gate Bridge and the Google building, also, you can download useless original 3-D outlooks, like King Kong climbing the Empire State Building in 3-D goodness smacking down planes.

I would wait the 2 years, but I need it by 10th grade, which I enter in September, because of course the teachers are "reccomending" we get laptops of some type (by reccomend, they mean if you don't have one you're a moron and will have trouble on assignments). And I would buy the MacBook Pro, but one summer on minimum wage won't get me the rediculous MSRP of 2000 bucks. (why so expensive, Apple?)

I'm really looking forward to getting it with the copy of iLife '06 that comes with them now. iLife '06 is awesome, with its cool stuff and what-not.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2006, 5:40 pm

MindOfOrderedChaos wrote:

I think Mac is trying to make it so it can't be put on any intel computers execpt the ones made by Mac.

This is true, Mac x86 computers utilise Open Firmware instead of PC Compatable BIOS. I believe that OF will be made compatable to boot Windows, however, regular x86 comps will not be able to boot OS X....unless sombody comes up with a hack that will allow this to happen.--But then again, I think Apple will not like the idea, and will try to force the hack out of favor.

jdbob
Toucan
Toucan

03 Feb 2006, 4:45 am

Hey Roybertito I just ordered one. A 14" ibook with 1GB. It will replace my old Dell Latitude Pentium II laptop for most things.

Roybertito
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Feb 2006, 7:49 pm

^...you do know the update's coming out in March or April... right?

jdbob
Toucan
Toucan

03 Feb 2006, 10:45 pm

I figure it will take at least a year before the intel Macs have the bugs worked out of them. I'll let someone else debug them. I also want a fairly exact match to my mac mini in case I need to replace it's capabilities in an emergency.