Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2009, 1:21 am

http://www.researchautism.org/resources ... Series.asp

26.9 MB
Scroll down from Resources, check out this link Asperger's for Professors which is now shown at Universities, usually in conjunction with Disabilities Services - our ADA (= American's with Disabilities Act, 1990).

Aspies, opinion? Did you find this of use (pretend you're a professor)? Offensive? Skewed? Is this indicative of you? Would you want your Professors to view this, as an introduction to Autism/AS? This is what is shown.

Personally, I do find this skewed and much of the material provided in this easy-to-download online film outdated and ancillary to what is Autism, such as (in paraphrase) "....they like to study in the library."

What do you think about this film's suggestion to restrict an Aspie student's questions to two per lecture?

Thought you all might be interested (....or not, maybe disturbed?) and this is relevant for all ASD individuals (not just 'school' related). Is this how might want to be represented to your University?

EDIT: Actually, from that link the film is right on the page, just scroll down and click to view (smaller version is easy). OAR is affiliated with AutismSpeaks....but other too, such as NIH, others. Their site has research funding and even scholarships.

Arcadian
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Sep 2009, 3:48 am

I think the bias you feel is more from the fact that this video, being made for professors, exists for the sole purpose of helping avoid the negative aspects of AS, as all positive aspects are both expected to naturally be exposed, and are not problems, and as such do not need to be solved, as the issues covered were, and while I do not present all the problems mentioned, I feel it is representative enough to serve its purpose quite well, however I think it might not have been to wise to leave out stiming, as so many of us do, and it may or may not cause problems with the professor, or surrounding student to do so in the context of a classroom setting, as to the rule of two questions per class, I feel if they need more it would leave quite damaging holes in the student's knowledge of a subject, an alternative would be preferable, and you mention OAR being associated with autism speaks, and I could be wrong on this, but it seems like this was more from GRASP than OAR, I'm not completely sure on this however, and am not familiar with GRASP, so I cannot judge weather or not they can be respected, but OAR's affiliations seem less important

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2009, 7:05 am

I like YOUR video better. The guy in the video you posted looks sort of like Michael Savage.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2009, 10:23 am

It was not super offensive, but I think that it was not a good overview of the subject and some of the advice which it issued to Profs was a bit odd. Also while I am not expecting a advert about the glory of the "talented work hermit aspie who gets 96% in the exam", I think that the film did concentrate on the negatives too mcuh. I think that the aspie in some fields may have an advantage over the NT as they may have some methods of thought which they can use which the NT has less access to.

I also think that the move towards small team based learning in university life might be bad for the aspie. I think that in some subjects the way has always been the single person on their own trying to get to grips with the topic.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Izaak
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2009, 11:02 am

I thought it was good as a "primer" for College professors. Better than some I have seen.

I thought they relayed it rather well. Especially when they said NO TWO ARE ALIKE, and that they might present differently, and each case will need to be handled with liasing with disability support. Which is pretty much what should be done anyhow...

those are my thoughts anyhow. For such a small video I would give it close to top marks.