Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2009, 11:00 pm

I have pictures on this memory carg. I put it into the slot and click on the drive. "My Computer" freezes and when I go to "end task" through ctrl+atl+del, the start menu goes missing. I have to restart but I can only restart the computer with the memory card out of the slot (the computer won't fully boot with it in)

Please, no questions like, what's the make of the card, how big is it and other such questions. This is the second card (by different makes) to pull this. I'm running Vista Home Ultimate 64 bit w/sp1.

The card went from my phone to the computer. Nothing I haven't done a hundred times before.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 2:42 am

It sounds more like your problem is with explorer. Something in the install is borked.

Other than that, try it on other computers, and try cards that havent been touched by your phone in your computer.

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 6:27 am

why do people keep telling me to use stuff on other computers like I have a whole lab full of them?

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 6:42 am

digger1 wrote:
why do people keep telling me to use stuff on other computers like I have a whole lab full of them?

We are telling you like you might know one or two other people with a computer? Or try it at the library, an internet cafe.

But why dont you have a full lab of them? jk.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 7:12 am

When you "End Task" on Explorer, you can RESTART that alone... Go to file -> Run - and type explorer [ENTER] and it's restarted...

When I do it, I sometimes have a few icons missing from the system tray.

You can also perform a log off from the Task Manger by selecting Shut Down in the top.

When you plug in your storage card, wait a few moments. It could be a case that you are in need of updated drivers for it. Windows default drivers are only advised when you aren't using your computer to the extent that they will matter as much. If you restart your computer with the storage card plugged in, you may have a BIOS that doesn't know what to do with it

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 4:14 pm

...because it's a common way of trouble-shooting.

you start out with a decision tree in reverse; I have problem x, and the causes could be a-q.
It could be the computer
it could be the card
It could be software
It could be your phone.

You start lopping off 'decisions' (if i try it in another computer, and I get the same problem, then it's probably not the computer), until you get narrowed down to the offending bit.

If the problem doesn't follow you to a given component, that component can be eliminated as a potential cause.

If you have access to school, a library, etc., you should be able to get access to another computer. Those of use in tech support usually have access to more than one, and you're right, it's cheating...;)

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 7:21 pm

I don't have access to another computer. Just the one I'm on now.