Page 10 of 11 [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2009, 1:02 pm

Sorry Sand, meant to add a :lol: at the end to denote sarcasm, but i get what you're saying.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 2:42 pm

Now that Tim has proudly committed fornication, is it incumbent upon him to renounce Republicanism and Christianity?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2009, 5:25 pm

It turns out she wanted a short fling, rather than a relationship, so I am now back to the beginning again.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Taimaat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Nov 2009, 11:21 pm

I think it is silly to define yourself by just your religious or political beliefs. I know I have changed mine several times. For instance, I started out being a hardcore libertarian, but as time went on, I find myself leaning more to the left on some issues rather than sticking with the idealogy. I still think most of the time, less government is better, but I do think they are right to ban the selling of worthless insurence polices. I changed my religious beliefs several times, from Roman Catholic, to atheist, back to simply a believer in God, and then to agnostic again, then a Satanist after having a certain experience, got some more understanding and I am now currently pursuing Thelema.

You will change over time, as you go on in the world you will start to see where the idealogy and dogma is just just that idealogy and dogma. You need to to challenge it and your whole belief system. Do not feel that you should convert to any point of view just because it is popular, but some times there really are good reasons to change your position, and not hold unto faith.

protest_the_hero
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2009, 11:43 pm

pandabear wrote:
Now that Tim has proudly committed fornication, is it incumbent upon him to renounce Republicanism and Christianity?
I'm very anti-Christian but my views on affirmative action, gun ownership, capital punishment, traditional family values and everything right wing lead me to prefer the Republican Party.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2009, 4:18 am

protest_the_hero wrote:
pandabear wrote:
I'm very anti-Christian but my views on affirmative action, gun ownership, capital punishment, traditional family values and everything right wing lead me to prefer the Republican Party.

I think Ayn Rand set out many very logical premises on why atheists shouldn't necessarily be liberals.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2009, 1:15 pm

Taimaat wrote:
I think it is silly to define yourself by just your religious or political beliefs. I know I have changed mine several times. For instance, I started out being a hardcore libertarian, but as time went on, I find myself leaning more to the left on some issues rather than sticking with the idealogy. I still think most of the time, less government is better, but I do think they are right to ban the selling of worthless insurence polices. I changed my religious beliefs several times, from Roman Catholic, to atheist, back to simply a believer in God, and then to agnostic again, then a Satanist after having a certain experience, got some more understanding and I am now currently pursuing Thelema.

You will change over time, as you go on in the world you will start to see where the idealogy and dogma is just just that idealogy and dogma. You need to to challenge it and your whole belief system. Do not feel that you should convert to any point of view just because it is popular, but some times there really are good reasons to change your position, and not hold unto faith.

What's Thelema?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2009, 7:04 pm

I am thinking about writing letters to Pat Robertson, Liberty University, and Westboro Baptist Church, that say "Guess What? Hell doesn't exist!! !"

I am also thinking about contacting female students at Bob Jones and Liberty Universities, and asking them "Hey, wanna come to my place and fornicate?"

ChrisHitchens
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Nov 2009, 9:59 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Maybe people will like me better if I do.

Maybe I could have a relationship with someone who has the same interests if I do this.

Doing something just so people will like you is about the worst reason to do anything.

"Above all else, to thine self be true"

The god of the old testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction, jealous and proud of it; a petty, unforgiving, unjust control-freak; a vindictive bloodthirst ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, genocidal, meglomaniacal,

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 2:46 am

ChrisHitchens wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

Maybe I could have a relationship with someone who has the same interests if I do this.

Doing something just so people will like you is about the worst reason to do anything.

well, what if that is the only motivation to do anything?

Anyway, I believe I could become a Christian in order to find a romantic relationship, if it doesn't work, I may try paganism or any other, I mean, given that I don't have any established belief system and ideology, it doesn't seem to matter, wether changing from liberalism to conservativism or from conservativism to liberalism, would depend on which benefits me more, sometimes it seems I can lean towards any or the other.

EC
Toucan
Toucan

17 Nov 2009, 9:40 am

greenblue wrote:
ChrisHitchens wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

Anyway, I believe I could become a Christian in order to find a romantic relationship, if it doesn't work, I may try paganism or any other, I mean, given that I don't have any established belief system and ideology, it doesn't seem to matter, wether changing from liberalism to conservativism or from conservativism to liberalism, would depend on which benefits me more, sometimes it seems I can lean towards any or the other.

You can't possibly mean that you would compromise like that. You have bigger problems than loneliness if you sway that easily - Gay people,

"Gays? What about them?" to "GAY?! MORE LIKE HAY-ELL!" :lol:

ChrisHitchens

17 Nov 2009, 12:15 pm

greenblue wrote:
ChrisHitchens wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

Thanks for telling the class that you're vapid and spineless.

The god of the old testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction, jealous and proud of it; a petty, unforgiving, unjust control-freak; a vindictive bloodthirst ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, genocidal, meglomaniacal,

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 1:51 pm

EC wrote:
You can't possibly mean that you would compromise like that. You have bigger problems than loneliness if you sway that easily

well, I don't feel lonely right now, although I think I might have an intense feeling of that a later time, which I hope I won't.

Is swaying that easily a problem? it may have its disadvantages as well as advantages I think, the issue is that I don't seem to have a well established perspective on anything regarding ideologies, politics, religion and philosophy, I tend to lean towards some of them and that's because of convenience, I mean, whatever I feel it works for me I would choose it. Now, I get that that is a problem regarding Christianity as Christians don't accept this approach and that wouldn't be regarded as real faith.

Quote:
"Gays? What about them?" to "GAY?! MORE LIKE HAY-ELL!" :lol:

well, the issue is not exactly about desperation for a relationship and I doubt a straight guy would become gay just for the sake of having a relationship.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 3:24 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
I am also thinking about contacting female students at Bob Jones and Liberty Universities, and asking them "Hey, wanna come to my place and fornicate?"

I sincerely hope you are not in the least bit serious about this.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 3:29 pm

No, I'm not. I was being 100% sarcastic there. I'm a Christian, but I absolutely *hate* fundamentalists, to the point to where I want people like Pat Robertson and Fred Phelps permanently silenced. I think the U.S. needs hate-speech legislation similar to the ones in Sweden. In Sweden, Rev. Ake Green was arrested for reciting Leviticus 18:22 (homosexuality is an abomination). That needs to be done in the U.S. as well.

TheOddGoat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 3:39 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

I sincerely hope you are not in the least bit serious about this.

I do stuff like that all the time.