Page 4 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2009, 12:38 pm

skafather84 wrote:

I understood it from the idea that a stopped clock will be right twice in a day...assuming the clock is a 12 hour clock. But the clock is still worthless because it lacks the context needed to do its function. If anything, the analogy shows that just because you're occasionally right doesn't mean that you're helpful in that topic.

The point I was trying to make is that even dull-wits and dim-bulbs get something right every now and again so it pays to listen and pick up anything of value. A diamond found in a pile of sh*t is still a diamond.

ruveyn

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2009, 12:43 pm

ruveyn wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

I understood it from the idea that a stopped clock will be right twice in a day...assuming the clock is a 12 hour clock. But the clock is still worthless because it lacks the context needed to do its function. If anything, the analogy shows that just because you're occasionally right doesn't mean that you're helpful in that topic.

The point I was trying to make is that even dull-wits and dim-bulbs get something right every now and again so it pays to listen and pick up anything of value. A diamond found in a pile of sh*t is still a diamond.

ruveyn

It's the fifty million monkeys problem. If there are two diamonds buried in a mountain of useless ore it's not worth the trouble to dig them out. If you know where the good ideas can be found it's best to look for the richest source.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2009, 1:20 pm

ruveyn wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

ruveyn

Yes, but still not very helpful overall beyond that one or two right things.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2009, 5:45 pm

Guys, quit picking on plotinus. It's not nice to barrage an unsuspecting Aspie with sarcasm.

ruveyn wrote:
Orwell wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Who is wise?
He who can learn from everyone.

R. ben Zomah

ruveyn

A curious sentiment for someone who possesses such incredible disdain for the bulk of mankind. Why would you want to learn from everyone when you believe everyone is a moron?

A stopped clock tells the right time twice a day.

ruveyn

But it's still completely worthless, as without a functioning clock against which to compare it you don't know when the stopped clock is right or wrong.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2009, 8:47 pm

Orwell wrote:
Guys, quit picking on plotinus. It's not nice to barrage an unsuspecting Aspie with sarcasm.

ruveyn wrote:
Orwell wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Who is wise?
He who can learn from everyone.

R. ben Zomah

ruveyn

A curious sentiment for someone who possesses such incredible disdain for the bulk of mankind. Why would you want to learn from everyone when you believe everyone is a moron?

A stopped clock tells the right time twice a day.

ruveyn

But it's still completely worthless, as without a functioning clock against which to compare it you don't know when the stopped clock is right or wrong.

It's always wrong someplace on Earth.

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2009, 9:05 pm

Ah! This thread has evolved into a wonderful conversation of stopped clocks. I shall run with it.

In my living room, we have a coo coo clock. It sits silent on the wall, constantly stuck at three. I cannot stand for it to be working. I cannot think around the sound of the ticking, and when it coo coos I want to smash it. But it is a lovely clock and I do not mind looking at it. I never know what time it is anyway, so three o'clock is just fine with me. :D

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2009, 1:48 am

claire333 wrote:
Ah! This thread has evolved into a wonderful conversation of stopped clocks. I shall run with it.

In my living room, we have a coo coo clock. It sits silent on the wall, constantly stuck at three. I cannot stand for it to be working. I cannot think around the sound of the ticking, and when it coo coos I want to smash it. But it is a lovely clock and I do not mind looking at it. I never know what time it is anyway, so three o'clock is just fine with me. :D

I regret ever using the stopped clock metaphor. I should have know better do that in a bunch of Aspies (shame on me!). What I attempted to say (and said badly) was that even the stupidest people now and again, get something right.

ruveyn

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2009, 1:53 am

ruveyn wrote:
claire333 wrote:

I regret ever using the stopped clock metaphor. I should have know better do that in a bunch of Aspies (shame on me!). What I attempted to say (and said badly) was that even the stupidest people now and again, get something right.

ruveyn

Considering your posts I'll grant you that possibility.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2009, 7:06 am

Sand wrote:

But I am not stupid. I am more intelligent than 95 percent of the human race.

However, I make mistakes just like ordinary mortals. My mistakes are usually profound, and never trivial.

ruveyn

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2009, 8:25 am

ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

But the same objections still hold outside the analogy. If they are usually wrong, it is of no consequence that they are occasionally right because it is typically not worth the effort to sort through all the s**t to find the diamond, to use your other metaphor.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2009, 9:08 am

ruveyn wrote:
Sand wrote:

However, I make mistakes just like ordinary mortals. My mistakes are usually profound, and never trivial.

ruveyn

Just kidding, ruveyn, I don't know what percent of the human race is stupider than you nor what percentage is more cordial but I imagine there is a large difference in either factor.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2009, 7:00 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Sand wrote:

ruveyn

A point in time (and maybe the 3? Ds of space) topic

My take on this time watch is that labels are not absolute, or absolutely right (to get back to the topic at hand, before it tangentally took off). If I am labeled mentally deficient, I take into consideration who is do the labeling. and I always check the time. (A great analogy, the analog clock. :))

And even if 95% of the population is right (logical, rational, sensible) some of the time, this might not be noticed, as it may depend on how profound the right answer is, and on just who is providing the "right" answer.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo