Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

NicklebackGirl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Sep 2009, 5:30 pm

Okay, so my son used to have troubles with social skills and life skills and that good stuff. Back then, he somewhat cared on how he looked and didn't care too much on wearing the "latest fashion" and used to love anime and everything Japan. He had always liked theater and acting but wanted to be in English teacher in Japan as he looked at it as "one of the best countries in the world".. He's always had friends, but some had been in the wrong crowd or he just didn't have the biggest amount and did get in conflicts with them sometimes when in disagree. He also wasn't very keen into taking showers that much.
But ever since his Sohpomore year (He's now in his Junior year) it's like he's completely different. He has a ton of friends at his new school which is an arts high school. He's living 2 1/2 hours away from me and is living in dorms and has been home for 3 days for labor day weekend and already misses them all. He's very big into how he looks and his clothing (He's loves anything that's trendy, hip, and American Eagle and Aeropostal). I'm actually taking him to dye his hair tommorrow. He wants it dyed blonde then later on to put brownish highlights into it. He's very tolerable with disagreements between friends and others and says "We all have our own belifes and opinions. That's what makes the world go around. If not, we'd all be the same and there'd be no originality thus having no creativity."... He now wants to be an actor on Broadway and Hollywood and his backup plan is to become a Drama Professor. He wants to go to college and major in acting and minor in history education and if the acting thing doesn't work in around 3 or 4 years, he would go to get his Masters. He still likes Japan, but not nearly as much as he used to. He also loves taking showers!

What do you think??

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2009, 6:27 pm

Does it matter?

If he's comfortable in his own skin and moving forward without need for special accommodations and considerations, does it matter if a label might - or might not - apply? We got the label because there were bridges that needed to be crossed, and needed to be crossed quickly. A label is only worth what it can do for you.

I am glad to hear your son is doing so well :D

Last edited by DW_a_mom on 08 Sep 2009, 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

CRD
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2009, 7:33 pm

Sounds like he's growning up nicely :). He just might be one of the kids that took alittle more time then his peers. AS or not he sounds happy and like he's on the right track for a bright future. Way to go mom on letting him go to the school that he wanted to !

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2009, 1:15 am

No, actually, he sounds like a bright kid with a sharp mind who cares about people and has lively interests, and you describe him with obvious admiration so I say, to be cliche, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If he's having trouble functioning socially or academically, then there's a reason to ask. I've got one of each, and I still don't think they have AS. I might not even have it. But even if I don't, the combination of executive dysfunction, general eccentricity, nervous disposition and clumsy upbringing (lack of social training) give me traits that run parallel so I come here from time to time. Your kid... sounds like none of those.

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.