Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

AspieCard
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Sep 2009, 12:21 pm

I have lost 25 pounds in the past 4 months. The key to losing weight is to reduce portion sizes all the time - eat the same foods but in less amounts. People who try difficult diets for a short while go back to their old eating habits and gain the weight right back.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2009, 3:09 pm

one of my friends has lost a lot of weight. I have no idea how much truth there is in that, but she claims that what really worked for her was having a glass of water with half a lemon squeezed in every morning.

allegedly, the water with lemons "informs" your metabolic system that it's time to start metabolising, but because the water with lemon juice has almost no calories, your body starts to burn the fat. at least until your first meal, but she says she eats her breakfast about an hour afterwards.

it doesn't sound plausible to me, but the fact is that she looks amazing now and as far as I know all she ever eats is staff food at her hotel and snacks.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2009, 5:13 pm

It doesn't sound plausible because there is no reason for fat to be burnt, when there is no work being done. Yes certain things like chillies can help speed up metabolism. However a squeeze of lemon isn’t going to cut it.

Clearly she is eating less, which is why she looks good. She probably does more physical work than she thinks.

Independent research on the Aitkin’s diet showed the people eat less on because protein rich food makes you feel full, but otherwise it is not health to eat like that. Chewing gum can also fool your brain into thinking you've eaten to a certain extent.

Did she have a problem with her weight in the first place? I've never really had a problem staying trim. And most people can loose weight if the put their mind to it.

However clinically obese people they have a food addiction. Think about having an addiction, where you have to consume a little of it every day. It is not like they can stop eating altogether.

AspieCard
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Sep 2009, 5:45 pm

I think America's much higher obesity rate (30% of the population) is due to 95% of people living in low density suburbs where walking is only a recreational activity. Europeans live in denser neighborhoods where you can walk, bike, and use transit to get anywhere. I've also heard they eat much smaller portions.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2009, 1:20 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
Chewing gum can also fool your brain into thinking you've eaten to a certain extent.

are you kidding? chewing a gum makes you real hungry! it's the worst thing you can do when you're dieting :p

Quote:
Did she have a problem with her weight in the first place? I've never really had a problem staying trim. And most people can loose weight if the put their mind to it.

However clinically obese people they have a food addiction. Think about having an addiction, where you have to consume a little of it every day. It is not like they can stop eating altogether.

she was never obese, just kinda yo-yo'ed. I'm guessing she's found something but it's not the lemons :P

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2009, 9:28 am

anna-banana wrote:
0_equals_true wrote:
Chewing gum can also fool your brain into thinking you've eaten to a certain extent.

are you kidding? chewing a gum makes you real hungry! it's the worst thing you can do when you're dieting :p

i said can. it might not.

Do you know the reason why is sensible to eat a little when drinking is not because the food "absorbs" the alcohol but because of a reflex causing a valve or 'sphincter' to close on the end of the stomach so that alcohol is slowly released into the liver isn’t of in one go.

Magicfly
Toucan
Toucan

28 Sep 2009, 12:31 pm

Cool thread!

I 100% agree with getting something like a cross-trainer I've lost a huge load of weight since I got one....not so sure about skin going back I'm most certainly going to need surgery to remove my excess belly skin: I look like I'm wearing an apron of flesh!!

The more weight you lose the more energy you have plus you're stomach will shrink too which means reduced appetite!

But diets don't work. Well, by that I mean the concept of a salad-dominated starvation period which lasts until you reach target weight, then going back to eating as you did before, but in all honesty, you won't want to if you do it right....

Once upon a time I could go to McDonalds, order myself a cheeseburger, Big Mac, Quarter Pounder with cheese and large fries, then drive the car over to Burger King and have a Double Whopper with Cheese....just writing that out now physically makes me sick, how/why I could have ever wanted to do that to myself is beyond me, I think in part being Aspie you habituate to eating the same foods day in and day out, and I suppose I took this to rather an extreme.