Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

ericc
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Sep 2009, 11:57 am

Is the reason why Aspies get depressed because they don't have anyone that can relate to them? Aspergers, Personality, and Interests? And is Interests kind of a medication that helps with Depression because it's something that the Aspie can relate too and would make them feel less lonely?

duke666
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Sep 2009, 12:49 pm

Yes and Yes.

There may be other reasons for depression, but alienation is certainly a major factor. Special Interest (and some stims) seem to go beyond 'escape' and are a neuro-chemical trigger. Like the Blue Ball Machine for me.

I've only had one aspie best friend (so far), and it was a completely different experience than with my NT friends. I think it would have been a lot different if I'd grown up with lots of aspie friends. But I'm not advocating separatism or anything, just musing on the depression causes.

-The Madness of King George

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2009, 2:11 pm

I am not sure. I have never been really depressed in the clinical sense, but my depressed moods in my teens did come from loneliness.

Trwn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Sep 2009, 3:14 pm

Good point.

Eternal_Saber
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Sep 2009, 5:39 am

Bullying can also be a contributing factor to Asperger's depression.

oppositedirection
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 6:09 am

I'd say isolation is the worst part of being autistic. I've a fair number none autistic friends and no matter how much I honestly wouldn't criticise them and am so greatful to have them, I don't think anyone of them could fully relate to many of my experiences.

'An ideal of total self-sufficiency. That secret smile may be the Buddha's but it is monstrous seen on a baby's face. To conquer craving is indeed to conquer pain, but humanity goes with it. That my autistic daughter wanted nothing was worst of all.' Park

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 7:34 am

After all, it's a fairly reasonable justification for being depressed - trapped in a world full of people who keep saying they live by principles you have no understanding of, and who keep telling you that you just have to snap out of it - you're as good as the rest of them and it's just your attitude that's in the way? Isn't it?

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2009, 10:51 pm

I don't know if special interests in and of themselves could make one feel less lonely, but could distract them from loneliness. Depression feeds back on itself, social alientation can make one depressed, and so isolated, and more alienated...

X_Parasite
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2009, 4:38 am

Depression... I can't (honestly) say that I'm particularly familiar with it.
And loneliness? I have no experience with that, despite being alone most of the time.

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2009, 7:28 am

Asmodeus wrote:
I don't know if special interests in and of themselves could make one feel less lonely, but could distract them from loneliness. Depression feeds back on itself, social alientation can make one depressed, and so isolated, and more alienated...

In my case, special interests do help, but when I am very lonely, I can't think of any special interest to spend time on. I had this when I lived independently and was very isolated in 2007: I just couldn't think of topics to engage in.

racooneyes
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Oct 2009, 7:43 am

X_Parasite wrote:
And loneliness? I have no experience with that, despite being alone most of the time.

Yeah same here, it's not something that actually bothers me until I think about how others see it. I do get more agitated and depressed the longer I don't see or speak to anyone though and I just realised the reason I'm on the interenet is to avoid loneliness so mabe it does bother me.

get all confused and then mix up the dates.

brittany89
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Oct 2009, 7:44 am

peterd wrote:
After all, it's a fairly reasonable justification for being depressed - trapped in a world full of people who keep saying they live by principles you have no understanding of, and who keep telling you that you just have to snap out of it - you're as good as the rest of them and it's just your attitude that's in the way? Isn't it?

I agree. I hate when people tell me that I should be a certain way. Like when they say I should go out and be more social.