Ever been in a Autism/ ADD special program at college?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

AspieCard
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Sep 2009, 7:00 pm

I am in the process of transferring to a 4 year public university that has a special program to help students with autism and other learning disabilities graduate. It includes academic coaching, individual tutoring, group meetings with other students in the program, and the availability of getting a single room on campus.

Has anyone ever been in such a program and if so did it help you?

Sati
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2009, 7:01 pm

At the first university I went to I was in something like that for ADD, but I never went to any of the meetings. The resources were helpful though.

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2009, 7:56 pm

I didn't get my official diagnosis until after I was done with college, so I never took advantage of that. If I did, I would have because the programs with the Disabled Students include priority registration for classes every semester.

CTBill
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2009, 8:20 pm

I wish such resources had existed 25 years ago (and that I had known about AS and myself also). If so, maybe I could have graduated in four well-coordinated years instead of ten chaotic ones.

Please investigate the resources available to you, and use those which you find most helpful.

A single room might be your best option--I know it would have benefited me.

AspieCard
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Sep 2009, 3:43 pm

MODERATOR: Please move this to the education and school section - I misplaced it

This is a similar program at another in state school where I live - seems really neat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA3o6KBSe6A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifv5lZcOZuE

princesseli
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2009, 7:27 pm

Man I wish, my school had those resources, it would make life a bit easier. My school does have a disability person whos helpful and has given me some accomidations though. And I would really like to know who the other people on the spectrum are at my school. I know one other person who Im like 99% he's on the spectrum but other then that, I have no idea. The disabilities coordinator said there were other people but she couldnt tell me who they were(privacy policy).

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2009, 6:22 am

I have been in an autism buddy system at university. It involved once-a-week help from a psychology/special ed student who volunteered for this...they could help you with planning your studies, contacting instructors if you had problems, etc. I am not sure whether there were group meetings, too, since I dropped out of university pretty soon. It didn't really help me.