Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 1:31 am

I had thought of a few examples of how slavery has been responded to in the past. Please nobody take offense, I'm not meaning to offend.

Ok:

Jewish Response: Oy vey gevault, these Egyptians first let us in here during a famine because of Joseph, but now they've forgotten him and have reduced us to slaves forcing us to make bricks -- and now they've stopped providing straw but kept up our quota. God of Abraham, Issac, and Jacob, save us! And if you wouldn't mind convincing the Egyptians to give us gold, carts, and livestock, and then killing off Pharaoh and his army, dyenu!

African-American Response: Swing low sweet chariot... ok, coast is clear! Let's make a break for it! Keep your eyes on the Big Dipper!

Scottish Response: Aye! Enough with this! Let's kill the English!

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 12:15 pm

I can't even handle a non-slave position. If they couldn't fire me, then I would probably end up being beaten to death.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 12:17 pm

I'm Spartacus!

ruveyn

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 12:22 pm

To be realistic, we each would make the best of any situation we landed in and some would do better than others. The adolescent reply, of course, is that we would revolt but slave systems are well aware of first reactions and are arranged to handle them.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 12:28 pm

Let my people go... :ninja:

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 12:52 pm

If your money goes through the Bank of Europe or the Federal Reserve, you're already in a form of slavery.

Though the last thing I'd do is go to their meeting chanting "I'm not your slave!" with their money in my pockets. That's just absurdly stupid.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 12:55 pm

Sand wrote:
To be realistic, we each would make the best of any situation we landed in and some would do better than others. The adolescent reply, of course, is that we would revolt but slave systems are well aware of first reactions and are arranged to handle them.

Helots being a prime example I suppose?

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 1:23 pm

It's job security, but the pay and benefits suck...;)

We're lucky to be slaves, best thing the Romans ever did for us! Young people don't know how good they got it... -Monty Python, Life of Brian (misquoted, I'm sure...;)

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 1:50 pm

I'd take the Native American stance, and scalp those MF's. You can't enslave someone who isn't afraid of the afterlife.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 1:58 pm

Averick wrote:
I'd take the Native American stance, and scalp those MF's. You can't enslave someone who isn't afraid of the afterlife.

How about Russians from 1917 to 1991? Or North Koreans presently?

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 1:59 pm

Enlighten me Ben.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 2:04 pm

I have no idea how I'd react. I seem to react poorly to my boss shouting and bullying me... I suspect in a system that supported slavery I'd probably be killed, no matter how hard I tried.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 2:11 pm

Averick wrote:
Enlighten me Ben.

Many of these people during the Soviet Union being brainwashed into atheism should, in theory, have no fear of the afterlife. Same situation with North Korea basically too. However, their brainwashing into thinking that this life is all there is makes them grasp onto their life and their corporeal body all the much more, for which fear of torture and death is far worse for them.

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 2:40 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Averick wrote:
Enlighten me Ben.

Many of these people during the Soviet Union being brainwashed into atheism should, in theory, have no fear of the afterlife. Same situation with North Korea basically too. However, their brainwashing into thinking that this life is all there is makes them grasp onto their life and their corporeal body all the much more, for which fear of torture and death is far worse for them.

I agree upon this and understand, but what say you about some primative belief systems like the Apache had or more relevant today that of the lslamic fundamentals?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 2:48 pm

Averick wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Averick wrote:
Enlighten me Ben.

I agree upon this and understand, but what say you about some primitive belief systems like the Apache had or more relevant today that of the lslamic fundamentals?

I wouldn't say that any belief system is "primitive" I'd say that many are altered and corrupted beyond mutual recognition, similar to the differences between languages or the differences between Flood legends. You know my beliefs concerning the Bible in this matter though.

As for the Apaches or the Muslims, it's not really that they have no fear of an afterlife which makes them willing to sacrifice themselves, but an affinity for it.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 6:40 pm

I would likely just be enslaved. I mean, I suppose this really depends on the conditions of my slavery really, but it is not as if I would have an automatic rejection of being considered a slave. What else should I consider myself and why does it matter? Generally speaking, I would expect a negative response, there is also the possibility that I might try to kill my owner if I get too pissed off.