Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 6:40 pm

I would likely just be enslaved. I mean, I suppose this really depends on the conditions of my slavery really, but it is not as if I would have an automatic rejection of being considered a slave. What else should I consider myself and why does it matter? Generally speaking, I would expect a negative response, there is also the possibility that I might try to kill my owner if I get too pissed off.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 6:55 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
I would likely just be enslaved. I mean, I suppose this really depends on the conditions of my slavery really, but it is not as if I would have an automatic rejection of being considered a slave. What else should I consider myself and why does it matter? Generally speaking, I would expect a negative response, there is also the possibility that I might try to kill my owner if I get too pissed off.

Woof woof.....

Sorry but when I read this, I just pictured you as a dog who's new owner leashed to a tree forgetting to provide you with your old daily diet of biscuits and snacks.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 7:52 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
Woof woof.....

Sorry but when I read this, I just pictured you as a dog who's new owner leashed to a tree forgetting to provide you with your old daily diet of biscuits and snacks.

Well, to a certain extent, that is correct. If I do not get the diet of biscuits and snacks I like, I lunge for the throat, but I see no reason to take some absolutist stand on this matter.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 8:09 pm

^ If a slave is able to do that, then what is the point of having a slave then? :P

Awesomelyglorious wrote:

hmmm, I think the issue is the definition of slavery, some people use the term "slave" as a means to follow any trend without thinking it throu, and others use a more literal and popular definition, that of forced labor, maltreatment, kidnapped, etc and that is usually why the sentiment against slavery.

I assume there might be slaves treated better and held just as companions or ornaments, etc, in the latter case, with better and pleasent conditions, but the issue is wether there would be some guarantee to that and the possibility of that being changed, I mean if you are a slave, how can you guarantee any condition of your slavery, how could you guarantee not being sold by a cruel master or how can you guarantee dumping you for a more attractive/better slave?

Although being a pet rather than a slave, may sound more appealing, not sure if it could be catogerized as the same or similar.

About killing the owner, hmmm, from the persepctive of the owner, it would be pointless if my slave was easily able to kill me, not without the guarantee of a cruel punishment and just for the attempt, as the romans did with their slaves.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 8:15 pm

greenblue wrote:
^ If a slave is able to do that, then what is the point of having a slave then? :P

Generally speaking, killing your master is difficult, and inevitably leads to the death of the slave who kills that master. Therefore, most slaves are unwilling to go so far. Usually though, slaves outnumber masters by a significant amount, so there are continual fears of slave rebellion. The reason for my comment is just to show that I can be quite vindictive.

Quote:
I assume there might be slaves treated better and held just as companions or ornaments, etc, in the latter case, with better and pleasent conditions, but the issue is wether there would be some guarantee to that and the possibility of that being changed, I mean if you are a slave, how can you guarantee any condition of your slavery, how could you guarantee not being sold by a cruel master or how can you guarantee dumping you for a more attractive/better slave?

Well, I am not sure if guarantees exist for anything, so the issue is always now and the expected future.

Quote:
About killing the owner, hmmm, from the persepctive of the owner, it would be pointless if my slave was easily able to kill me, not without the guarantee of a cruel punishment and just for the attempt, as the romans did with their slaves.

Oh, slaves who kill their master are wisest to commit suicide afterward or try to die in fight.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 8:19 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Oh, slaves who kill their master are wisest to commit suicide afterward or try to die in fight.

Quite true, there would be other slaves to punish if the killer slave commits suicide though.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 8:35 pm

greenblue wrote:
Quite true, there would be other slaves to punish if the killer slave commits suicide though.

Absolutely, in fact masters everywhere might just be more brutal and paranoid because of the action of one slave.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 9:17 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
greenblue wrote:

Absolutely, in fact masters everywhere might just be more brutal and paranoid because of the action of one slave.

Yes, similar to the association which is done to people that have beards. Because some wackos who like to bomb and hijack have ethnicities which generally promote beard growth, all people with beards are associated with them. Because people back in the 60's and 70's who were lazy drug addicts also generally had beards, all people with beards are associated with them.

While what you talk about is the method of setting a precedent, rather than just pure association, I am still tired of the gawking I'm getting in this racist northern city!! !! !

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2009, 12:49 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Yes, similar to the association which is done to people that have beards. Because some wackos who like to bomb and hijack have ethnicities which generally promote beard growth, all people with beards are associated with them. Because people back in the 60's and 70's who were lazy drug addicts also generally had beards, all people with beards are associated with them.

While what you talk about is the method of setting a precedent, rather than just pure association, I am still tired of the gawking I'm getting in this racist northern city!! !! !

Hm. I have a beard and I do not get such overwhelmingly negative responses. People do notice my beard, because people's attention is drawn to anything out of the ordinary, but I have not had anyone assuming I was a terrorist or drug addict. Perhaps it has to do with what your beard looks like? Mine is usually fairly neat and trimmed. I do notice a somewhat more negative response when I let it grow wilder and longer. But even with completely overgrown facial hair, the worst I've ever gotten is the occasional lumberjack wisecrack.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2009, 1:29 am

Orwell wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Hm. I have a beard and I do not get such overwhelmingly negative responses. People do notice my beard, because people's attention is drawn to anything out of the ordinary, but I have not had anyone assuming I was a terrorist or drug addict. Perhaps it has to do with what your beard looks like? Mine is usually fairly neat and trimmed. I do notice a somewhat more negative response when I let it grow wilder and longer. But even with completely overgrown facial hair, the worst I've ever gotten is the occasional lumberjack wisecrack.

My beard tends to overgrow quickly. Some people I talk to, like my girlfriend, like beards. Haven't gotten a lumberjack joke yet though, though one church I visited a pastor there kept mentioning to me how he took a course in Jewish studies at Moody. Not an insult to me really, but in Brooklyn Park.... These people are so strange. You can tell they're probably thinking thoughts like a drunk Mel Gibson, except they aren't drunk.

I did a Youtube search on "fear of beards" earlier yesterday. Here are a couple good clips:

Opening music is kinda weird BTW.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke3QxbhNmic[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5oaT5VTgTU[/youtube]

And this is a great one in favor of beards:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikbp4Ypjthw&feature=PlayList&p=UEu4cYA0Uvo[/youtube]

I suppose I'm kinda derailing my own thread, but it could be worse. Someone could bring up a less than trustworthy site about how the remains of Gustavus Adolphus can be used as cannon shell repellent and someone else could contort that to prove Atheism once and for all within their own mind.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2009, 1:43 am

A beard is feared
By fellows with their brains
Set permanent low geared.
The Talibans, it must be said
Would rather that
They be found dead
Than suffer the disgrace
Of a naked face.
But, since I've been born
With a visage shorn,
My mental comfort still remains
Beardless with high geared brains.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2009, 1:50 am

greenblue wrote:

You could not obtain any such guarantee, because slaves by definition lack legal rights.

Quote:
Although being a pet rather than a slave, may sound more appealing, not sure if it could be catogerized as the same or similar.

Being kept as a pet would seem rather degrading. Not sure whether it would be worse than being a slave, though.

To answer the original thread question, I suppose I'm with AG. I would likely just be a slave and try to make the best of my existence. Depending on the prevailing conditions, I may or may not tilt at the windmills in a short-lived and painfully-ending slave rebellion, but more likely I would just try to find an individual way out of slavery without attacking the system head-on.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2009, 5:25 am

When my face is sprouting
With its hirsute riches
It's not the sneers and shouting
From the sons of b*****s
That deter encouragement
To permit a beard
But merely that I feared
Persistent discouragement
From the hellish insane itches.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2009, 6:33 am

I love the bearded face,
It has it's own ursine grace
And grizzly tickles when you kiss,
And a warm man smell
That I would miss.

But alas, I am a lady,
If I grew a beard
I'd look crazy!

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2009, 6:41 am

Sand wrote:
When my face is sprouting
With its hirsute riches
It's not the sneers and shouting
From the sons of b*****s
That deter encouragement
To permit a beard
But merely that I feared
Persistent discouragement
From the hellish insane itches.

After the hairs pass through the stubble phase, itching isn't a problem.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2009, 6:44 am

mgran wrote:
I love the bearded face,
It has it's own ursine grace
And grizzly tickles when you kiss,
And a warm man smell
That I would miss.

But alas, I am a lady,
If I grew a beard
I'd look crazy!

That's cool.

It is a wonderment to me that some people really like beards and others have pogonophobia though.