Pattern thinking and auditry working memory disorder.

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Quinster
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Sep 2009, 5:23 am

I was reading a old post about how we think, it was amazing because now I understand I think in patterns and complex association. I then often convert this into verbal internal language which feels more concreate but the verbal information is soon lost and I just remember the abstract concept but it helps in directing my thoughts. I have often discribed it as thinking in sences/feelings. Neither words are adiquate though, I liken it to how in dreams you can have a sense of who a person is ment to be even though they neither look or act like the person. Its that kind of sense.

I have also realised that because of the way I think, my pattern working memory is very good (including memory of these "senses"). My visual working memory is adverage, however my verbal working memory is almost non-existant. Serious, on adverage poeple remember 7 digits of information but mine, tested myself and by a educational psycologist is 3 on adverage, sometimes 2 or 4. But my visual memory is 7 and by pattern im not sure as there is no pattern tests that i can find. But i believe it to be higher then 7.

So I have a incredible problem processing auditry information as I have no-associated "sence" or image. Unless I consciously associate something with it, which *sometimes* works.

I have a really bad problem with exectutive function in general, organisation, time management, recall, remembering what I am doing and information about my envioment (such as things not to walk into...)

I struggle to recall things that only existed in my mind verbally, such as "i need to do this" or the spelling of words. I feel that maybe alot of my problems is trying to operate in a verbal based world. (i am diagnosed with sLD involving audity working memory and processing.) and I dont know how to cope. I think I need to find ways to rely more on my visual and pattern memory but i naturally use words to direct myself, words which i cannot retain.

Does anyone here suffer with the same problems???

blastoff
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Sep 2009, 8:34 am

Quister, I share your difficulties.

One of the things I've tried is to write as much down as I possibly can. I make a list every morning of all those things that need to be done but only exist in my head. And I hand-write the list, not type it. There's something about the act of *writing* it that helps grind it into memory a little bit.

My job requires that I attend meetings. Meetings are hard for any number of reasons, but the biggest problem is that i cannot process what people are saying for long enough to remember it. What I do is grab my laptop (I type faster than I write, and in this case speed is important) and just take verbatim notes. Then i can go back and "process" them later.

Quinster
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Sep 2009, 8:40 am

hey thanks blastoff. Nice to know im not alone. Thats a really great idea about using your laptop. I'm thinking I'll get a small light one when I can afford it as mines way to bulky to take around. I just gotta learn to type fast :) I've been trying to make to-do lists each morning, I just gotta get in the habit of doing it and looking at it, which Ive not managed yet

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 8:48 am

Dude, I think you may have asperger's disorder.

I use a Nokia E71 to make lists on. Yes, I still wind up not remembering to read the things, but at least I always have it with me.

Quinster
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Sep 2009, 9:31 am

They gave me a PDA at uni to help with my memory, but I forgot it was on my bed and knelt on it. So for the time being I'm using Paper which isnt ideal.

What was it about what i said that made you think I might have aspergers? I'm curious as I have been wondering about aspergers lately.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 10:40 am

Quinster wrote:
What was it about what i said that made you think I might have aspergers?

I would say... pretty much all of it. The executive dysfunction and thinking in complex associations are almost hallmarks of AS. It's not to say that they are exclusively AS, but they are very common traits.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 10:42 am

Orderly for us topic

All my aspie co-existing conditions work just fine, thank you!! :D

but I know what you mean, Quinster. Sorry about your PDA. I use the Closed Captioning to help with the verbal stuff on TV, due to my CAPD.

Love the patterns, and I make them when they do not exist naturally!! ! :lol: :D :P

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Quinster
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Sep 2009, 10:49 am

Hmm, thats really interesting, I will look more into this.

lol. Yeh I love patterns too, I see them everywhere. Dont get this "Orderly for us topic" APD and CAPD are different names for the same thing, right?

TheSpecialKid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Sep 2009, 12:50 pm

This topic reminds me of myself :lol:

Great to see that others have it this way too. I use my cell-phone for the "on the fly"-ideas/thoughts.
Otherwise I use computer or pen, depending if it's something I'm going to save for a long time, or if it's just quick notes.

I work as an IT-Technician, and I almost write every single task to-do on post-it's.
Then later at the workday, I write it into our management software.

Today, when having a conversation (well, one-way) with a colleague, this problem occurred to me.
He was telling me something he wanted me to do (Not computer related), and I didn't understand much of it. :?
Luckly he asked a question that required the information he had given me, and I told him I didn't understand him.

He took it very nice, and told me everything again. This time using simple sentences, and waiting for my answer if I understood between each sentence.
Most people would probably be annoyed by the way he did it. But it really helped me process, so I was very glad he did.

TheSpecialKid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Sep 2009, 12:57 pm

Now I just thought. Is it variated for you too?
Like, for me, most of the time I can follow a simple conversation, but then suddenly, someone is for example using ... searching brain for the word ... irony (damn, took a minute!), and then I begin wondering about if it was ironic or not, or if it was a joke, and all these kind of things. And then I just loose the track.

Or just like above, I can't find the right word, and in mid-sentence I stop and think for a loooong time.
Then I stress over that I've got to move on, and... Well you can guess.

Quinster
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Sep 2009, 1:50 pm

Yeh I do get distracted with things like taht and suddenly realise I'm no longer listening. But I know I have problem prossing and remembering auditory informations. So bit of both i guess

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2010, 12:16 pm

Quinster posted: I was reading a old post about how we think, it was amazing because now I understand I think in patterns and complex association. I then often convert this into verbal internal language which feels more concreate but the verbal information is soon lost and I just remember the abstract concept but it helps in directing my thoughts. I have often discribed it as thinking in sences/feelings. Neither words are adiquate though, I liken it to how in dreams you can have a sense of who a person is ment to be even though they neither look or act like the person. Its that kind of sense.

I have also realised that because of the way I think, my pattern working memory is very good (including memory of these "senses"). My visual working memory is adverage, however my verbal working memory is almost non-existant. Serious, on adverage poeple remember 7 digits of information but mine, tested myself and by a educational psycologist is 3 on adverage, sometimes 2 or 4. But my visual memory is 7 and by pattern im not sure as there is no pattern tests that i can find. But i believe it to be higher then 7.

So I have a incredible problem processing auditry information as I have no-associated "sence" or image. Unless I consciously associate something with it, which *sometimes* works.

I have a really bad problem with exectutive function in general, organisation, time management, recall, remembering what I am doing and information about my envioment (such as things not to walk into...)

I struggle to recall things that only existed in my mind verbally, such as "i need to do this" or the spelling of words. I feel that maybe alot of my problems is trying to operate in a verbal based world. (i am diagnosed with sLD involving audity working memory and processing.) and I dont know how to cope. I think I need to find ways to rely more on my visual and pattern memory but i naturally use words to direct myself, words which i cannot retain.

---

My visual short-term memory is noticeably better than my auditory short-term memory.

meeemoi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jun 2011, 1:12 pm

pgd wrote:
Quinster posted: I was reading a old post about how we think, it was amazing because now I understand I think in patterns and complex association. I then often convert this into verbal internal language which feels more concreate but the verbal information is soon lost and I just remember the abstract concept but it helps in directing my thoughts. I have often discribed it as thinking in sences/feelings. Neither words are adiquate though, I liken it to how in dreams you can have a sense of who a person is ment to be even though they neither look or act like the person. Its that kind of sense.

WOW. I was pretty sure I had asperger's. The dought lies in that there are a few traits that are not congruent with asperger's. Looking deeper as to why i don't have these traits to their full extent, I learn that there are a few learning disabilities that come in the way.

Though I do a lot of research on the net and can spend days on the net at a time. The information I read, I cant access in my brain. I keep reading it because with the information I develop a 6th sense about the topics. This 6th sense is highly based on a lot of facts and numbers that I summarized but discarded the details (I used to think that i had only so much space in my memory so didn't want to fill it up). This issue coupled with dyscalculia impends me from having such specific interests as remembering a train schedule.

But this 6th sense is very interesting as it allows me to have a good knowledge of many topics not in too much detail. How accurate this 6th sense is I cant tell you as this idea is new to me. But the fact remains that I read a lot of details, retain very little and then continue to absorb more details. Why would i keep reading if nothing is absorbed? It is because i develop a 6th sense I know all the details are easily accessed if they need to be looked at again.

The lack of the ability to take in information in a way that is normal, stops me from learning many things that depend on memory of details This in turn makes me dought that i have aspergers because I am not the type to learn a bus schedule for the fun of it.

I feel like I have a strong asset in being a aspie. but that there are many learning disabilities that stop me from really getting in to something that requires memory, doing fast math in my head (poker) or things that need good written and reading skills.

In essence, I am left with nothing more then the incapability to have superficial conversation coupled with the incapability to learn things in a productive manner. So the aspie benefits I cant yet access cause i have not learnt how to go around my learning disabilities. Once I am at the point of fixing this issue I will look in to a new of remembering. such as video or audio or something else.

Are there any Technics you guys find that work well for remembering allot of details that may help in guiding where one is best suited to work?

meeemoi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jun 2011, 1:19 pm

Quinster wrote:
I was reading a old post about how we think, it was amazing because now I understand I think in patterns and complex association. I then often convert this into verbal internal language which feels more concreate but the verbal information is soon lost and I just remember the abstract concept but it helps in directing my thoughts. I have often discribed it as thinking in sences/feelings. Neither words are adiquate though, I liken it to how in dreams you can have a sense of who a person is ment to be even though they neither look or act like the person. Its that kind of sense.

is the first paragraph you wrote related to "sLD audity working memory and processing" and what does the s stand for or is there another word for it. how does this issue effect your learning of special interests.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 1:30 am

fiddlerpianist wrote:
Quinster wrote:
What was it about what i said that made you think I might have aspergers?

I would say... pretty much all of it. The executive dysfunction and thinking in complex associations are almost hallmarks of AS. It's not to say that they are exclusively AS, but they are very common traits.

I was under the impression that most people with AS are verbal/sequential thinkers with strong rote memory. At least that would be true of those who also have NVLD symptoms and PIQ < VIQ. I'm the opposite, closer to Quinstar. Definitely more of an association thinker. I think my worst issue is I have a lot of trouble remembering people's names.