repetitive listening to parts of songs etc...

Page 2 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2009, 10:41 am

I don't do that much with other people's music, though I often notice little bits of it that seem a lot more important to me than the rest of it.

But when I'm recording my own music, I think nothing of repeating every bar of it numerous times until I've got it right. I just put the recording machine into "cycle-record" mode and do loads of takes of each little bit. I hardly ever feel any sense of boredom doing that.

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2009, 4:20 pm

I never seem to get tired of watching certain music videos. I don't watch the same one over and over consecutively, however.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2009, 4:48 pm

Oh yeah I spend whole days listening to the same song constantly, I never get bored. Also parts of songs can be quite addictive too, I love the intro to "jurassic park" theme where that horn type thing goes "burmm burmm burmm burmm" I could listen to that for hours.

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2009, 1:27 am

Listening to songs over and over again. Yes I do this a lot.

Brandon-J
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2009, 1:41 am

Raskle wrote:
Just wondering if anyone else does this. I was thinking about this earlier, and I realised that I have always had this thing about listening to the same parts of certain songs over and over. I often find myself listening to a song and either forwarding or rewinding to a certain section repeatedly, ignoring the rest of the song.
Anyone else do this? Any ideas why you do it?

I have the same habit of listening to the same part of a song over and over. It's usually the only part of the song that I can remember the lyrics. For some reason it just sticks in my head.

jimb424
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Oct 2009, 8:50 am

My music fixations generally center around the guitar. So, I taught myself to play the guitar.

I don't listen to parts of songs, but there will always be a part that defines the reason why i listen to a song. I will ultimately learn that part and play it over and over.

I play certain things over and over.

I "listen" to parts of songs in my head all the time.

It never occurred to me to make my own mixes of parts. Must resist...

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2009, 9:39 am

The album..Luna/ Penthouse...the song Ballad of Bonnie and Clyde...could listen to that one for days.

Used to HAVE to have it on for doing housework....would drive everyone insane...

I don't isolate snippets of songs though...I am too overwhelmed by music...

But when I have songs stuck in my head....which is most of the time....it will be the same part of the song over and over....and I will sing that part over and over to myself.

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2009, 5:10 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:
(SNIP)

But when I have songs stuck in my head....which is most of the time....it will be the same part of the song over and over....and I will sing that part over and over to myself.

Me too.

Mmmph

08 Oct 2009, 5:17 pm

I used to do that with certain parts of songs, like when a song picks up suddenly, or if there's a really cool instrumental. The one I played a lot was from a Depeche Mode song. Precious, at 2:25. I was so obsessed with that XD

Now, I just do that with books. I flip right to the part where I know there's a really emotional scene.

IsotropicManifold
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Oct 2009, 8:54 pm

Raskle wrote:

Anyone else do this? Any ideas why you do it?

I don't do this, but I beat box all day and usually repeat the same thing over and over and over.... quite annoying to some people.

If I hear a song though it will tend to stay in my head for sometime... I have certain songs that are literally always in my head.

If you are curious right now 'Opening' to Phillip Glass's "Glassworks" has been in my head for about 10 hours now and hasn't stopped playing.

When I beat box I usually get really entranced by some of the rythms in aphex twin.

tenalpgnorw
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Oct 2009, 10:07 pm

I do that a lot with guitar solos, but that is probably due more to my musical interests.

But I think I also demonstrate an aspie tendency to focus on the individuals parts and interplay thereof. For example, I may find a section of a few seconds in a song with a cool drum fill or sound effect and listen to that over and over again.

Off the top of my head, I remember really liking the part in Green Day's "When I Come Around" when the drums and guitar cut out for a second for a little bass riff.

I like the halftime kick drum fill in "One of the Boys" of my wife's Katy Perry CD, where the singer sings "shaving my legs" (silly I know)

bonuspoints
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Washington state - *Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?*

08 Oct 2009, 10:12 pm

I don't usually listen to bits of songs, but I do play an entire song repeatedly for days/weeks. I do however do this with movies or tv shows. There will be a scene that I really like and I will play it a ridiculous number of times (I love the dvd feature where you can section out a bit of the show). :D

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. - Oscar Wilde

Bluefins
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2009, 10:53 pm

http://warchibi.ytmnd.com/ has been playing in my browser for 5 hours now. So yeah :lol:

Not so much the parts, though. I do it mentally, but irl it's too much effort - I'd rather just hit repeat on a song that loops well.

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2009, 2:32 am

Not anymore, now I just play the whole song on repeat and wait for the sweet spot.. it's sweeter that way.
But when I was a little kid I used to think the sweet spot was obvious to everyone, and I would be like "you know, that one song with that part in the middle. The PAAAART." Duh, the part genius.
The part was clear as day.
OTL;;;;