repetitive listening to parts of songs etc...

Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 11:03 am

ruveyn wrote:
Yup.

ruveyn

Musical echolalia topic

Yup :D

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 11:08 am

Absolutely.

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 11:38 am

Yes, I always do this, which is one of the reasoans why I stopped buying CD's

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 11:53 am

Plotinus wrote:
janissy, your profile says you re NT. But these are not Nt symptoms, i guess?

The DSM may compartmentalize people but nature doesn't. There are lots of people like me who have a trait here and there that could be called Aspie but it's seems to be the whole pile-up of traits that gets people a diagnosis. I'm NT. My husband is NT. Our daughter is LFA. There shouldn't be any overlap between NT and LFA, yet everything she does that got her the diagnosis seems to be like things we do times 100. Maybe "times 100" is the actual problem. I can listen to a loop of a song snippet over and over and my husband likes to listen to the same CD many, many times. But when that's not an option, that's ok. She doesn't just enjoy doing this. She needs to do it and if anything interrupts her doing it she gets agitated and can't recover and just do something else. She gets stuck. I don't get stuck. Maybe that's the difference.

DarkAngel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Sep 2009, 11:59 am

Yeah I've Done This Before.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 12:00 pm

Janissy wrote:
Plotinus wrote:
janissy, your profile says you re NT. But these are not Nt symptoms, i guess?

The DSM may compartmentalize people but nature doesn't. There are lots of people like me who have a trait here and there that could be called Aspie but it's seems to be the whole pile-up of traits that gets people a diagnosis. I'm NT. My husband is NT. Our daughter is LFA. There shouldn't be any overlap between NT and LFA, yet everything she does that got her the diagnosis seems to be like things we do times 100. Maybe "times 100" is the actual problem. I can listen to a loop of a song snippet over and over and my husband likes to listen to the same CD many, many times. But when that's not an option, that's ok. She doesn't just enjoy doing this. She needs to do it and if anything interrupts her doing it she gets agitated and can't recover and just do something else. She gets stuck. I don't get stuck. Maybe that's the difference.

Obsessioneeds topic

Fascinating^^

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 12:13 pm

I listen to the whole song, but I can listen to it many times in a row. I don't rewind or skip to a certain part, I just listen for it. Certain melodies can leave me entranced. It takes me a while to get used to a new song. I can like almost any song after I listen to it enough times. I start out disliking nearly all of them I hear.

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 12:55 pm

I do this too. I play the same playlist over and over again. Sometimes even the same song several times in a row.

I've also played the same part of one song several times in a row. A perfect example would be the track "The Battle" from the Gladiator soundtrack. The opening 30 seconds of that tune are amazing. The rest not so much.

melissa17b
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Sep 2009, 2:17 pm

TouchVanDerBoom wrote:
Raskle wrote:
Just wondering if anyone else does this. I was thinking about this earlier, and I realised that I have always had this thing about listening to the same parts of certain songs over and over. I often find myself listening to a song and either forwarding or rewinding to a certain section repeatedly, ignoring the rest of the song. I have also made a few CDs made up exclusively by snippets of certain songs. I remember burning a 12-track CD made up purely of a particular section of the Nine Inch Nails song 'The Downward Spiral'. (If you're interested, it's the weird jangly part between 01:54 and 02:33. I altered the section by doing things like changing the pitch, tone, adding reverb and so on.)

I've also noticed this tendency when watching films and even reading books.

Anyone else do this? Any ideas why you do it?

Firstly OMG that album is so great :) Secondly, I do this a lot and have never seen anyone else actually specify how far into the song the bit they like is. Until now!

If anyone's interested it started with Tori Amos piano solos and Beth Gibbons of Portishead's little bits of inflection, I was obsessed with both of those in my teens. These days I do this so much that there's no point telling people my favourite songs on albums, I just say the "bits" I liked. One I'm loving right now is the very end of Two Birds by Regina Spektor, from 02:18 to 02:54. I don't even like the rest of the song that much but that part gives me goosebumps and makes me cry.

There are literally thousands of songs in "the jukebox" - that always-playing, emotion-regulating musical repository in my brain that has been accepting contributions for over 40 years now. A great many of these songs are "landmarked", meaning that I know the exact times when certain notable passages or memorable lyrics occur. This landmarking is sort of a compulsion and is an integral part of accepting a new song into the jukebox, imprinting it with specific sensations and feelings that will remain unchanged through time. I am much the same way with movies. I frequently repeat songs or playlists - "changing the record" about every two months or so. I almost never repeat parts of songs, as any disruption or imperfection in the complete start-to-finish reproduction of a song is distressing and not well-tolerated. Movies are different - while some require uninterrupted start-to-finish viewing, with others I will go right to the start time of certain bits and just watch them (repeatedly, of course).

Lilactiger
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Sep 2009, 10:44 pm

I never like a song the first time I hear it. I'll turn it off after the first little bit, then the second time a bit longer, etc. until I'll listen to the full song (if I start to like it). Then, I'll get hooked on certain songs and listen to them repeatedly, 4-5 times in a row, for weeks. Eventually I'll get tired of the song and stop listening to it, but if I really like it, it will come back..

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 10:56 pm

Ah yes, guilty of this.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Sati
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 11:23 pm

I'll repeat my favorite part of a song over and over again in my head, but it annoys me to actually hear it repeated.

Aoi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 11:36 pm

Songs, parts of songs, or movies, TV shows, etc. I never thought of it as a stim, but I suppose doing this, which I've been doing since the 70s (back when vinyl records were the only option) should be counted.

DarrylZero
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2009, 1:07 am

Sati wrote:
I'll repeat my favorite part of a song over and over again in my head, but it annoys me to actually hear it repeated.

I do this quite often. Many times it's a particular line in a song that hits me a certain way, and I play it over and over in my head, but I usually don't play it over and over in my CD player. I will often have certain songs on repeat, however.

Anecdote: When I was in high school I used to do remixes. Keep in mind this is well before the rise of the home studio, or even digital recording. I did it using a double cassette deck. One I particularly liked was a remix I did of Depeche Mode's "Fly on the Windscreen" where it kept repeating the line, "Death is everywhere" for 10 minutes (Um, let's just say my tastes were somewhat morbid in high school).

parrotnut
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Sep 2009, 8:22 am

yes, I do it also! I listen to the same song over and over again, 20 or 30 times in 1 day, kind of thing.
Then I rewind the songs to a certain spot over and over, is this some sort of stim??

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2009, 10:41 am

I don't do that much with other people's music, though I often notice little bits of it that seem a lot more important to me than the rest of it.

But when I'm recording my own music, I think nothing of repeating every bar of it numerous times until I've got it right. I just put the recording machine into "cycle-record" mode and do loads of takes of each little bit. I hardly ever feel any sense of boredom doing that.